News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Other large articulateds?

Started by Steam Freak, February 10, 2012, 05:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

Due to the success of the new EM-1's, have you guys considered making any other types of Yellowstone class engines? AC-9's, or something alone those lines?

-Thank you

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

If bachmann were to make one, I would totally get a DMIR M-3 Yellowstone.

GN.2-6-8-0

If they were to bring out either the AC9 or the M3 I don't think they could make them fast enough  ;D
Have to admit the Southern Pacific AC9 with its streamlined skyline shroud to be the most handsome of all the articulateds...dare i say pretty ???
Rocky Lives

ebtnut

Probably the most logical choice would be the Challenger 4-6-6-4.  Do it up detailed for the different roads that had them - UP, D&RGW, SP&S, WM, D&H, among others - which would certainly spread out the market. 

ryeguyisme

The challenger aye?

Unless you're talking about the non-UP style Challenger that D&RGW has, I really don't think the market needs another cookie cutter challenger, wayyyy too many out there

I'm truly surprised the EM-1 came out with the MASSIVE demand for a yellowstone, heck even I'd get one because the Rio Grande used them, also look at other possibilities:

The plastic/diecast market is FLOODED with heavy and small articulateds, what we really lack are the MEDIUM sized articulateds. I mean sure we have the heavy engines like the C&O, B&O, Union Pacific and Norfolk and western superpower, and then the light loggers of mantua, but what I really notice is a lack of the middlemen of medium sized articulateds like the ones used by NYC, Norfolk and Western and Rio Grande, etc, etc.

NYC:

B&M:

D&RGW:

A perfect example would be something of the same class used by different roads, it'd be more marketable because you could sell it to more people

Like the Denver and Salt lake 2-6-6-0 which was also owned by D&RGW. Very popular model in the brass community:

Or even better the Norfolk and western Z-1a AKA Denver and Rio Grande Western L-76 2-6-6-2:

I love medium articulateds, not too big, not too small

Steam Freak

Would also love to see a DMIR M-3 Yellowstone. They would sell so quickly lol! ;D

Steam Freak

The Virginian 2-10-10-2 would be another idea. I know Lionel has made one for O scale. Im not sure if any have been made for HO scale other than Brass.

J3a-614

From the N scale forum--scroll down a bit to find out about other engines that could be based on the EM-1, including a comment by someone that the mechanism could be the base for up to 11 engines (which is more than I am aware of):

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,17516.0.html

J3a-614

Incredibly, that VGN AE (2-10-10-2) had a version of it scratchbuilt by a fellow in Great Britain in HO scale.  What was most amazing about it wasn't that it looked as good as it did (quite good), but that the thing was live steam, and a compound, too!

It's a big engine, with a boiler about as fat as that of an Allegheny--108".  Normal operating speed was only about 8 mph, due to the huge 48" low-pressure pistons and their dynamic forces.

I think only 10 of these monsters were built, and for a railroad that wasn't that well known; I'm not sure it would justify the expense at Bachmann.

Live steam version what looks like Gauge 1; apparently it pulls pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtW2UE66nqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=QQGTkpNlbbQ

Doneldon

The Virginian made the 2-10-10-2s work because they needed massive power, even if it was slow. The Santa Fe failed because the nature of that railroad was long hauls. Consequently, they needed speed as well as power and they weren't able to produce enough steam for both. So they disassembled their "Double Santa Fe" locos and turned them back into the 2-10-2s they were born from. It was a very interesting experiment, however.
                                                                                                                                                                           -- D

Steam Freak

So what do you think Mr Bachmann?

Bucksco

Hmmmmmm.....what could we do that has a Keystone on it?.... ;D

rogertra

Are there not too many articulated model available already from several manufacturers?

ryeguyisme

All the keystone articulateds are already made by non-brass manufacturers except for the PRR 0-8-8-0