News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Other large articulateds?

Started by Steam Freak, February 10, 2012, 05:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Quote from: ryeguyisme on February 18, 2012, 12:36:30 PM
yes but I believe, the D&RGW and the Norfolk and Western RR had the most articulateds

RyeGuy-

Define "most." Greatest total number? Greatest variety? Largest proportion of all steam motive power? Most heavily used? Largest number at a specific point in time? I think there are different answers to these questions if we actually go to the data. The N&W is surely in the running; I'm a little less sure about the D&RGW. And let's not forget the UP which had what many consider the best or near best (Yes, I know, define "best.") articulateds in the Challenger and Big Boy. I, personally, would toss in the DM&IR Yellowstones and the various SP Cab Forwards.
                                                                                                                             -- D

J3a-614

"BTW....The PRR was the largest railroad by traffic and revenue in the U.S. for the first half of the twentieth century and was at one time the largest publicly traded corporation in the world."--The Yardmaster

I wonder if the Yardmaster is a Pennsy fan!  :-)

Still, there is the saying that everyone models the Pennsy and another road--because of the Pennsy's huge freight car fleet that went everywhere, particularly all those box cars. . . .

Bucksco

We ARE located in Philadelphia, Pa......

Doneldon

Quote from: Yardmaster on February 18, 2012, 09:33:44 PM

Yardmaster-

True. But that doesn't mean that Bachmann has to be stimulus bound!

-- D

Steam Freak

Quote from: Doneldon on February 18, 2012, 09:46:51 PM
Quote from: Yardmaster on February 18, 2012, 09:33:44 PM

Yardmaster-

True. But that doesn't mean that Bachmann has to be stimulus bound!

-- D

Haha I agree  ;D

Steam Freak

To be quite honest, I never thought I would see the day when Bachmann would make a large articulated. They've always been more for small to medium type of engines. This is definitely a new big step for them. And Im pretty happy to see that its finally been done  :)

Would also LOVE to have an HO scale version of the G scale 2-6-6-2 compound tank engine that was made. Clover Valley #4 at Niles Canyon is almost completed and is expected to be running sometime this year. Its going to be the 2nd only compound articulated running in the world. I really want to be able to model after that engine in HO scale.

ryeguyisme

bachmann's 2-6-6-2 would actually be considered a large articulated due to it's boiler size

blwfish

Quote from: ryeguyisme on February 18, 2012, 12:36:30 PM
yes but I believe, the D&RGW and the Norfolk and Western RR had the most articulateds

C&O was right up there - they had about 250 2-6-6-2, 40 2-8-8-2's and 60 2-6-6-6's for a total of 350.  N&W had something like 225 2-8-8-2's and, if I counted right, 175 2-6-6-2's, along with their 43 2-6-6-4's, for a total of 442 or so. D&RGW by comparison had only about 75 articulateds.  UP rostered about 70 2-8-8-0's, 35 2-8-8-2's (30 purchased from C&O and 5 from N&W during the war), about 170 4-6-6-4's and of course 25 4-8-8-4's for a total of about 300.  SP was another big user with 194 4-8-8-2's and nearly 100 2-6-6-2's. N&W and C&O were both relatively small roads compared to the others on this list, but they used the 2-6-6-2's for mine shifter work and you could barely go anywhere on either road without tripping over a whole wad of them...

Steam Freak

The 2-6-6-2 I was referring to was Bachmann's G scale 2-6-6-2T, and how it would be great if they made an HO version of that.

beampaul7

Hey Rye, you showed pics of two of my favorites arties.  The 3700's were the chalengers that the Rio Grande wanted more of.  They were very versital and were used throughout the system, being used even in Alamosa on the standard guage.  Instead of sending more 3700's the government in its great wisdom, (some things never change) diverted an order of UP chalengers, fine for the UP but all wrong for the Rio Grande.  The UP's, due to the tight radius curves on the Rio Grande were useless in Colorado, and  were restricted to  running between Ogden and Helper Ut.  The Grande was so glad for the Clinchfield to take them over after the war, as they were roundly hated by the Rio Grande engine men.       The D&SL's 200 series 2-6-6-0's,  renumbered by the Rio Grande, were fine powerful loco's that started out as 0-6-6-0's paterned after old Maud, a famous? B&O engine of the time.  They were purchased for pulling heavy tonage ove the Hill (Rollins Pass) before the Moffat Tunnel was built and to push the 3 rotarys the D&SL reguired in the winter.                                                                                           

beampaul7

I ran out of space?.   Anyway, I'd love to have a couple of those in ho at a price I could afford.  I think they might even look pretty good on someones 4x8. :D ;D