Why's my EMD FT-A hanging on Atlas 90 degree crossing?

Started by The Old Man, February 13, 2012, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Man

I have the Bachmann Digital Commander set and am using the two locos with a layout I built using Atlas Code 83 track.  The GP40 goes over the crossing, but the FT-A hangs up.  The front wheels catch as it enters the crossing.  Both locos have, it appears, the exact same trucks.  The only difference is there's lots of clearance between the wheels and the coupler housing of the GP40 and almost none on the FT-A.

Can I simply not use the FT-A on code 83, or is there something else I can do?

jward

are you sure it's the wheels that hang up and not the coupler? sometimes the trip pin on the couplers are too low and they snap on crossings and switches. the solution is to carefully bend the trip pin upward until it clears the rails.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

The Old Man

jward

then you may want to checque the wheel guage. wheels that spaced too narrow might hang up on the guard rails of the crossing.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

The Old Man

I had ready tapered the guards so they are lower at the entry of the crossing, but perhaps I have to be more agressive and really file them down.  Also I have a Kadee coupler gauge which I think (?) also has a wheel gauge checker.  If it does I will check this.

K487

I have some Bmann FT-A diesels and they do sit real low on the track.  Take your engine, turn it upside down and look lengthwise down it (bottom of trucks.)  See if any thing sticks out.  One thing that does is the pilot (cow catcher) - it sticks out some.  When on the track the pilot almost scrapes the tops of the rails, and on any semi-rough track it can slide on top of the rails for a short distance and when it does this it can "catch" on crossing diamonds, turnouts, and slightly uneven track joints.  This can in turn easily create derailments and other odd behavior.  Hope this helps.

K487

The Old Man

Well I solved this.  I guess the plastic guards were to thick, or out of alignment, and were pinching the wheels.  I just filed them thiner and it's all smooth.  Funny though, both locos are from the same Bachmann kit and use the same trucks.

jward

nothing funny about it. your wheels are out of guage on the locomotive giving you trouble. you need to adjust the wheels not file the guard rails.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

OM-

I agree with Jeff. It's much more likrly that your wheels are out of
gauge than that a molded piece is the wrong size.
                                                                            -- D

The Old Man

Well gang, now it's getting stuck on the Atlas tressel bridge.  So yeah I guess it's the wheels.  I don't have a clue, nor even a desire, to adjust the wheels.  New loco?

jward

adjusting the wheels shouldn't be hard. if you have an nmra guage, checque all wheels to see which ones are out of guage. remove the offending wheelset hold one wheels securely with one hand, and gently twist the other wheel. if the wheels are too narrow, pull while twisting, if they are too wide, push while twisting. rechecque with the guage until they are correct.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

The Old Man

I'm getting a gauge this week--so we'll see.  Thanks.