News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler sound card

Started by Young one, February 14, 2012, 09:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Young one

My Big Hauler sound card makes a strange burp noise rather than a chuff noise.  It is an older version without the volume control knob.  Looking for ideas on what to check.  I have verified that the problem is in the tender and not the locomotive.  I had another one that did the same thing but it had a visibly damaged (leaking) capacitor.  Changing that fixed it.  Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Young one

Thanks G gauge, I have read that before & it seems to be more about improving the card than trouble shooting problems.  However I think I will try adding those capacitors & see what happens.  Won't hurt---might fix it!

Thanks again

bobwrgt

If i remember correctly  the burp can also come from the cam in the engine that controles the chuff. There was a problem with the contact hitting the wheels picking up excess cu-rent. Installing a spacer or washer took care of it.

Bob

Young one

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it.  This thing makes the same noise if the contacts are shorted at the connector.  It seemed to get a little worse each time it was run.  By the way, the locomotive is battery operated with no power to the rails.  Thanks again.