News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need help with a turntable

Started by Narrowgauge111, February 15, 2012, 03:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowgauge111

Hello all!

coming to you from the "Thomas and friends" board, but hopefully someone over here can help me out a little better.

I am in the process of building a yard with a roundhouse. the roundhouse is built by Heljan, and I'm not to keen on their turntable, so I was wondering if the dimensions  on the Walthers cornerstone 90' will work.

please and thank you.

ryeguyisme

might i suggest not buying the kit form of the walthers 90 footer, you will be frustrated with the way the pit warps

rogertra

Quote from: ryeguyisme on February 15, 2012, 10:52:27 PM
might i suggest not buying the kit form of the walthers 90 footer, you will be frustrated with the way the pit warps

Agreed.  The kit is bad, so bad it was never reviewed by the major magazines becuase they probably couldn't put their usual positive spin, if you'll excuse the pun, on a poor product made by a major advertiser.

However, the built up one, whatever the brand is called, is excellent and comes highly recommended, if you can afford the over $250.00 price tag.

Narrowgauge111

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration, but I was wondering if the stalls in the round house would be spaced apart enough to fit the turn table. I have 6 stalls, so I really don't know the dimensions.

ryeguyisme

I'd suggest a heljan turntable, if you're looking at cutting costs. the turntable with 6 stalls, you're going to need at least 3 and a half feet by 2 and a half feet, aand the from the pit to the stalls is roughly 4 to 5 inches

rogertra

Quote from: Narrowgauge111 on February 16, 2012, 03:16:31 PM
Thanks, I'll take that into consideration, but I was wondering if the stalls in the round house would be spaced apart enough to fit the turn table. I have 6 stalls, so I really don't know the dimensions.

The Walthers built up turntable has user programable stops.  It is, of course, designed to mate with the two Walthers turntables.

You'll need to Google your roundhouse to see how many degrees apart the doors are and then Google the Walthers built up turntable to see what degrees it can stop at.

By drawing lines from the centre of your doors until they all intersect at the same location and then locating the centre of your turntable exactly at that spot, the table can then be user programmed to stop exactly where the various trackage leading to your roundhouse is located.

Simple.  Sort of.