News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax couplers

Started by Magoon, July 23, 2007, 03:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magoon

The mechanical department at the Folsom Eastern Railroad (the FE Line) has taken in an old Climax from the Red Cat Timber Company to perform some work on it.  Apparently the folks at Red Cat decided to convert their Bachmann side-dump cars to link and pin couplers and planned to use their Climax to haul them around.  One problem: after years of service as a logging locomotive using the OEM truck-mounted couplers, no one know how to remove the coupler drawbars.  The loco was pitted last night and the truck inspection covers were removed, but we were unable to find any way to remove the drawbars from the inside.  Do those darned things just "pop off" with the right amount of pressure, or are they attached with hidden screws?  Help!

Jon D. Miller

The coupler's are attached to the motor case from the outside with a screw.  The screw is hidden behind a small plastic cover.  It's been a while since I removed the couplers from my Climax locomotives.

Can't remember if that little cover slides up or down to get it free from the draw bar where it attaches to the motor cover.  Once that little cover is removed you can then remove the screw and the coupler assembly. Look closely and you can make out the cover that would normally be easy to overlook.

Just went and checked the Climax Operator's Manual.  Look on page 28, Side Frame, Brake Shoe and Coupler Assembly (Front).  You'll see the little cover. And it does slide up to remove it for access to the mounting screw. Back truck is the same.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Magoon

Thanks, Jon.  There's a couple of guys down in the shop I'm gonna have to have a talk with -- that was too easy!