More Doodlebug questions - did it have to be turned?

Started by Searsport, February 19, 2012, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, more dumb questions!  Did the Doodlebug as modelled by Bachmann have to be turned? And did this mean turning the motor car and the trailer car? Or could it run backwards like an RDC.  I have not bought the model yet, but see no form of rear driving position, but if it needed turning it would be little use on minor lines without a sizeable turntable.

TIA,
Bill.

richg

Just look at the motor car. There is a front section where the drive sits.
The trailer would probably not have to be turned. but I am not aware of how different RR's ran these.

Rich

richg

I did find one reference to a logging railroad that turned theirs on a Y.

Rich

J3a-614

The model, as provided by Bachmann, is a single-ended car representative of one built by Electro-Motive Corporation, or EMD (EMD predecessor), and should be turned for a reversal in direction.  Whether the trailer would be turned or not would depend on whether there was room enough to turn the two as a unit, as on a wye.  If not, as in the case of the doodlebug being turned on a turntable, it is unlikely the trailer would be turned, other than to flip the seats over (most rail coaches had reversable or "walkover" seats).

There were some other doodlebugs that were double-ended, like the RDC.  Erie had some, built to their designs (including what was called a Stilwell roof), as did the Pennsy.  There are some video clips of an operational Pennsy doodlebug, with the bidirectional feature, in the original sound thread (link included below as a handy reference, keeping things together):

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19802.0.html

Bachmann's doodlebug isn't one of these, but it wouldn't surprise me if some road at some point modified one into a double-ended version.  This would have included making a cab with appropriate end windows at the other end, installing a control and brake stand, and the other items needed for what is legally a locomotive at this end--a headlight, bell, air horn, and pilot.  Alternately, and there were a number of prototypes for this, the trailer could be modified with the cab, headlight, pilot, etc., either at one end or on both ends, to make what the British call a "control trailer."  Some transit agency in New Jersey did this with old Reading cars, with MU cables running through the whole train to a diesel locomotive at the other end--an early version of the now common push-pull equipment used today in commuter service. 

You would have to make these modifications yourself, of course, but that is part of the fun of model railroading. . .

Doneldon

Quote from: richg on February 19, 2012, 03:33:23 PM
I did find one reference to a logging railroad that turned theirs on a Y.
Rich

Rich-

I would guess that most logging or mining railroads turned their doodlebugs on wyes.
Many had no turntable and those which did had pretty short ones which wouldn't have
accomodated an 80 foot car, or maybe even a 60 footer.
                                                                                       -- D

richg

Logging and small roads had only the rail car.
I did find a couple references but this would take quite a lot of searching and probably might try Trains.com site, There are many members there from all over. Much larger community than Bachmann and the site encompasses a lot of trains/model railroad issues.

Rich

Flashwave

Someone will have to fill me in as I do not have a trailer varient, however we're forgetting about someone else on the engine crew: the Conductor. In general, it would be preferred that the Bug be turned, yes. If you're modelling a major road it's probably paramount, even if it invoes you skycraning it in lieu of. However, Doodlebugs did come with a reverse, and some DBs or Trailers had windows in their bulkheads, not neccesarily for the engineer, but for the COnductor, who, armed with a brake hose (and the requiaite dump valve and the peep-whistle that makes Thomas sound manly) and a steam cord, could communicate with the engineer running blind. I've seen a few demoted cars that had shop crews cut windwos into them, as well.

It's not an ideal way to run, but to say they HAVE to bw turned? No, they do not.

EDIT: I didn't realize how little there was between engine and engineer (nothing) when I said that, so probasbly, the cab guy is groping backwards for signs and hoping the Conductor is learing the roads well enough on his own...