Anyone modified Walthers 130' HO turntable for On30?

Started by bwreno, July 23, 2007, 07:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwreno

Hi,

Has anyone taken a Walthers (933-2829) HO turntable (130') and modified it for On30?

It has an 18" deck, and is 2 3/8" from fence to fence.  So, maybe it just needs a larger control shack and raised arch?  Walthers has it on sale for $240 (builtup), so your dealer should be about $50 less than before.

Thanx,   bob

Dusten Barefoot

I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Tom McDonald

Hi Bob,

I have one on my On30 layout.  Only modification I've done to it so far is remove the railing and house as not only are they are way out of scale, but the width on the On30 engines will hit the railing. The turntable scales out to about 72' in O scale which is larger than the 65' turntable at Durango I am modeling but it will be adequate for my needs. 

Most of my locomotives are from MMI and the turntable will rotate my K-28s without any problem and I assume that it will handle the K-36 and K-37 when they come out.  The indexing system works well but I have had to recalibrate a bit more than usual probably due to the heavier weight of the MMI locomotives.

Eventually, I'll detail it to look more like the Durango turntable, but for now it satisfies my current needs.

Tom

bwreno

Tom,    Thanx for the response.  Is the arch large enough?  I have 2 K-27s and 2 K-28s  (and of course all the Bachmann engines).

Your modifications are what I figured on; I was hoping there wasn't anything more drastic.

Thanx again,   bob   

kendoitall

Quote from: Tom McDonald on July 24, 2007, 08:58:54 AM
Hi Bob,

I have one on my On30 layout.  Only modification I've done to it so far is remove the railing and house as not only are they are way out of scale, but the width on the On30 engines will hit the railing. The turntable scales out to about 72' in O scale which is larger than the 65' turntable at Durango I am modeling but it will be adequate for my needs. 

Tom,

Please, if you can, upload a photo? I think many others like me would be interested. It has indexing, correct?

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

Tom McDonald