News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

skidder dimensions

Started by swany, February 21, 2012, 12:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swany

Setting up a spar tree on my log loading site. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Bachman On30 skidder?  Thx

Royce Wilson

What parts of the U.S was this type of skidder used?

Royce

Ken Clark

Swany

Length    4 Inchs
   Width      1&3/4 Inchs
   Height     3&3/4 Inchs
   Height     3&1/9 Inchs  offf skid base

Royce

Just about anywhere in North America, just loose the skid and set it up as a hoist engine, not necessary
to limit it's use to a log skidder. As I understand the model was based on an "American" Hoist model.
  Two of mine have lost the skids and are used as flat car load's, not sure yet what will happen with the third one, have made up a new skid (looks much better then the one supplied.

Ken Clark
       GWN

Ken Clark

Forgot length of Hoist off skid base  2&1/8 Inchs

Ken
        GWN

swany

Thanks Ken, appreciate your effort.

Ken Clark

Swany

Glad to be of help

The hoist itself  is beautiful, however the skid leaves a lot to be desired (no NBW detail) a new skid is
relativity easy to build and detail for the hoist/skidder to be set on. NBW detail could be added to the orginal skid which would improve it's appearence a lot!.

On the hoist, the shutoff valve should be turned so the valve handle is vertical and a loop of chain  added,
    to open and close it, yet to find a O scale figure with arms long enough to reach it <G>.

Ken
      GWN

lenelg

The "skids" modeled on the Bachmann On30 skidder were only temporary, used in shipping the skidder from the factory. For serious use in the forest you would need more substantial skids, with room for a water tank at the rear, and a fairlead up front (unless the "skidder" was in fact a "hoist"..).

Skidders hauled themselves around the forest, by attaching a cable to a strong tree and firing up the winch. However, on a short sled like this, they would stumble on their own toes, so the working skids need to be much longer, especially up front.

Finally, the crew would be very grateful for a roof to keep some of the rain out of their hair..

ebtnut

I've had an issue with Bachmann referring to this item as a "skidder".  In most of the logging books I've read, this unit is usually referred to as donkey engine.  A true "skidder" was a pretty massive machine, usually mounted on railroad trucks so it could be moved from setting to setting.  Earlier versions utilized a spar tree to raise up the cable sheaves.  Logs were brought in from a semi-circular area around the tree.  When that cutting was done, the unit was turned (usually on a wye) and the other half of the circle was cut.  Later, bigger models had their own collapsable steel tower.  There is one of these preserved at Cass, WV.  There are probabaly a couple more preserved out on the west coast, where their use seems to have been more prevalent. 

Royce Wilson

So what was the steam donkey used for in the logging bussiness?

what area of the U.S would it be used?

Royce

ebtnut

The steam donkey was used in the woods (mostly out west), to haul in cut logs from the woods, replacing horses and high wheels.  It might also be rigged with hooks to load the logs onto log buggies or flat cars.  To some extent the terminology may be a matter of degree.  The donkey might only be able to haul in a couple of logs at a time, whereas the big skidders could bring several in from different cutting areas while also being able to load the logs onto rail cars at the same time.