News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Completed Fleet of 0-6-0s

Started by jonathan, February 22, 2012, 04:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

personally, i'd rather have the atlas deck turntable's reliable perfoemaqnce than deal with some of the more common prototype turntables on the market. i have known quite a few who have given up on turntables in utter frustration trying to use the pit types.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

There is an obscure prototype for the Atlas turntable, although I can't remember where I saw the photo of it.

I use it because I don't have the space for anything else.

BTW the turntable at the B&O RR Museum is a deck-type, can be turned by a single man, and looks beautiful, especially with an incredibly old, restored steamer sitting in the middle.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

on30gn15

Playing in Google out of curiosity led to finding this, in Hawaii on what is probably 3ft gauge, http://youtu.be/sBtQ3PXjHhI?t=2m15s. Video segment is set to start at 02:15 point where table is that subject runs to 03:21 of 03:38 video.

Also found mention of the B&O in 1950s on a branch somewhere in the region of Frederick, MD.

And also found comment of decked tables being popular in the old timers era in US where plenty of shoveling snow was guaranteed during winter.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

ebtnut

Johathon:  Sorry I missed saying Hi and the show this weekend.  I only had a little time to basically make a quick circuit and get back home.  Great work on your 0-6-0's.  I did pick up my pre-ordered Spring Mills I-12.  Great model!

on30gn15

Hey there  :) Found this thread buried waaaaaay back in browser bookmarks.
It appears that without consciously deciding to, a group of the 0-6-0 are now being acquired here.

The other day, the NC&StL one with Vanderbilt tender arrived to be added to the PRR and Seaboard Air Line ones.

I'm looking at that tender and thinking that compared to photos of small engines with that style tender the top of oil bunker is too high relative to cab roof overhang.
Been plotting by what means to lower tender height.

Another thing to do with tenders is get electrical pickup from all wheels.
Am finding that somehow, a number of turnouts on track at model RR club have high frogs which then "high center" the drivers on that side and thereby break electrical contact as the rigid side rod connecting the 3 drivers does not allow the airborne wheels to contact the rail.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

WoundedBear

Quote from: jonathan on February 03, 2013, 05:12:36 PM
There is an obscure prototype for the Atlas turntable, although I can't remember where I saw the photo of it.

Jonathan

Jonathan.........

Not obscure.....just Canadian.....lololol. If I recall correctly, the Atlas turntable's prototype was in Revelstoke, BC and was built because the job of keeping the pit free of snow was a major undertaking. The table burned down in the early 1900's.

You can see the edge of the table in this photo from the BC archives.

Sid

jbrock27

Jonathan, any of the several ore cars running in the front of your YouTube video, modified old AHM cars?
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

I never saw this before.  You look at that picture of the locomotive in the round house and you say it is the 4th track over.  but it is not.  It is like the 6th or 7th track.  the inside rails serve two tracks.  This may have been used many places, but I have never seen it anyplace.

jonathan

:) Had to rewatch that 3-year-old video. Those were mostly MDC Roundhouse ore cars, though a few were the Model Power Metaltrain ore cars that came out years ago.

Great to see a prototype photo of the wood deck turntable.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Thank you for getting back to me J.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jward on February 03, 2013, 02:54:06 PM
personally, i'd rather have the atlas deck turntable's reliable perfoemaqnce than deal with some of the more common prototype turntables on the market. i have known quite a few who have given up on turntables in utter frustration trying to use the pit types.

In the past I've used an Atlas turntable under the benchwork to power, drive, and index longer deck "pit" type turntables visible from above. The connection between the two varies, depending on what's on top, but usually involves a piece of PVC pipe cut to length and drilled full of holes for wires.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Woody Elmore

Jonathan - as usual your works gets an "A." I am wondering just how many 0-6-0s the B&O had on roster - you may have your work cut out for you!

Br 98.75

There is nothing compared to steam for me(Though i don't hate Diesel or electrics), I guess its all the running gear and smoke? but i love the fleet you have created, I have a 0-6-0t made off the 0-6-0 like you have. maybe i will post some pictures.

ebtnut

The B&O had twenty of the USRA 0-6-0's - Nos. 1150-69.  They had a bunch of other 0-6-0's in various classes, a number of which came through mergers.