Main Menu

The Layout Thread

Started by SodorAdventures, February 22, 2012, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwr duck

the top 1 looks 2 light and the bottom 1 looks like the quarry stones

RW James

Quote from: JWR3001 on March 17, 2012, 10:14:15 AM
Could I be a pain and ask for a second (or more) opinions on the following matter?
I would definitely go for the mix. Ballast is rarely just one color and in my opinion mixing the two looks the best.
Rick

Shawn

Quote from: NikeWale on March 17, 2012, 11:16:03 AM

I happen to know they will be getting hornby spencer for a good price!

The Hornby Spencer price is already out on the Hornby homepage. He costs £99.99 and Stepney £69.99.
Homepage:  http://www.hornby.com/shop/thomas-and-friends/r9749-spencer-limited-production/
[/quote]

Well, I will not be getting him (Spencer) from model railway imports, I have got a friend going to London the day after spencer comes out and she's going to pick it up for me ;D as well as a few trucks I need for my set, like 'locomotive'--I mean the crane.  She will get him for full retail price £99.00.  But anyway, M.R.I. will have spencer for $165.

Anyway what did people think of my humble layout a few pages back!?

RW James

Quote from: hornbyfan on March 17, 2012, 11:52:29 AM
Anyway what did people think of my humble layout a few pages back!?
The sheds definitely dominate the layout - either the layout is too small or the sheds are too big. And honestly, with the way you have it set up, I can't see how a track will be able to get to the turntable (even if you did have the points).

A layout that size can work (it worked for the Rev Awdry) but you need to be thinking smaller buildings.
Rick

Calebtrain

I think you should go for a mix, but have the grey dominate. The lighter shade looks like Misty Island ballast.... ::)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

Shawn

Thanks Rick,

Ya, the baseboard is too small. I think this will not be my final layout.

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: Calebtrain on March 17, 2012, 12:09:34 PM
I think you should go for a mix, but have the grey dominate. The lighter shade looks like Misty Island ballast.... ::)
I think Caleb's nailed it, I'd do the above if it were me :) but your layout, your choice :).

JWR3001

Yeah Caleb, that was a really good suggestion, thanks for mentioning it. I've just gone and done a comparison of your idea against full grey ballast.

I think the mix looks good, but I'm still going to spend some time experimenting around with percentages. In the meantime, what are all your thoughts on the above?

JWR3001

Cheeky_ULP

Personal taste, but I like the grey 100%, but that might be because I have a fondness for the sets in S6-8.

Michigan Railfan

I gotta say that I think the full grey looks the best out of all of those. Just my opinion though.

Anthony P2

I like the grey ballest as well. The mixture looks like ballest in a quarry or something

Calebtrain

Maybe full grey ballast on the mainline and the mixture on a branchline or siding? Just an idea. It's what I'm going to do on my new layout.  :P
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

RW James

I like the mixed version - but having two different mixes for the mainline and branchlines makes sense, too
Rick

AJWPRODUCTIONS

I must say now my opinion has changed full grey looks best, but I reckon as said earlier mixed would be good for sidings, mainline or branchline etc :P.

Shawn

What happened to caleb's youtube channel, it says it's not avilable :-\  ???