News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Layout Thread

Started by SodorAdventures, February 22, 2012, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoNTrains

Quote from: SodorAdventures on July 15, 2012, 03:08:36 PM
Dino, I must say that you layout is coming along quite well. I think the size of the layout you have is perfect, because you can fit many of the main parts of Sodor on it. Cant wait to see the layout with some ground cover, but don't rush it! :)

Thanks SodorAdventures. Much appreciated. And your layout is coming along very nicely, too. Keep up the good work.
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

SodorAdventures

Quote from: DinoNTrains on July 15, 2012, 03:12:19 PM
Quote from: SodorAdventures on July 15, 2012, 03:08:36 PM
Dino, I must say that you layout is coming along quite well. I think the size of the layout you have is perfect, because you can fit many of the main parts of Sodor on it. Cant wait to see the layout with some ground cover, but don't rush it! :)

Thanks SodorAdventures. Much appreciated. And your layout is coming along very nicely, too. Keep up the good work.

Not a problem! Just for those of you who didn't see it, It was on the preceding page, I'll move it here now:

As for me, I have mostly finished the new addition to my layout and tore up the old section for a complete revamp. Pictures below for the another...

SodorAdventures Update!

Each picture will have a caption to tell you what will go in that spot.

The quarry!!! The one furthest back is the one that connects to the elevated track that loops over the new section. The two closer ones are just sidings for the rolling stock. Also in the 2nd and 3rd track, a coaling plant will be put over. You can see the foam in between to level it. Here is what the coaling plant looks like:

And when its built:

Tell me how you like the coaling plant!

A farm, I will use my mat idea to reenact grain around the line. There will also be a grain co-op, shown in the picture, and a barn with a farmhouse.

This will just be a mountain. The spur that goes through the tunnel will open up into the yard, which you might be able to tell.

A 2% grade for a river to go through. Pretty much just a hill to go over the river. Not too much over there yet.

This is a junction. I am not sure what to do in that corner. Any ideas for that would be appreciated :)

So, thats whats new on the set. Questions, comments, and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

Calebtrain

How about an american signal and signal box? The layouts looking awesome, especially the coaling plant. :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

RW James

Quote from: DinoNTrains on July 15, 2012, 02:22:06 PM
Hi everyone. I have a few more pics of my layout. Enjoy :)

Here, I hope to make a tiny dockyard, as you can see Bulstrode. I hope to put in Cranky the Crane, too. However, it all depends of if there is enough room.
I've mentioned this before, but I really think it bares repeating... That track is WAY too close to the edge. Equipment WILL fall off the table - guaranteed. If you use flex track you move it back an couple of inches. No track should ever be closer than two inches from the edge.
Rick

SodorAdventures

Quote from: RW James on July 15, 2012, 05:29:36 PM
Quote from: DinoNTrains on July 15, 2012, 02:22:06 PM
Hi everyone. I have a few more pics of my layout. Enjoy :)

Here, I hope to make a tiny dockyard, as you can see Bulstrode. I hope to put in Cranky the Crane, too. However, it all depends of if there is enough room.
I've mentioned this before, but I really think it bares repeating... That track is WAY too close to the edge. Equipment WILL fall off the table - guaranteed. If you use flex track you move it back an couple of inches. No track should ever be closer than two inches from the edge.

Indeed, that did seem a little close, but I think It shouldn't be too hard to pull the track in more. Good catch, RW.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

jward

your track will fit better if you use a #4 switch in place of that 22"r one. the switch angle will be about 12 1/2 degrees instead of 30, your dock track will be further from the table edge, and you might even be able to fit two tracks there.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

DinoNTrains

Thank you all for your concerns. Once again, I have completely forgotten about the dangers of being too close to the edge of the table :P But, however, like I mentioned, it all depends on space. So I might rework it a bit or do something else (idk), but again, thanks for pointing this out guys

Narrowgauge111

lol, your layout looks like mine right now: stuff scattered EVERYWHERE. only difference is, your working on yours, and mine is sitting idle  ::)

DinoNTrains

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Some Pictures of the castle ruins on my layout, I didn't know where else to put them. I'll take some better pictures soon but this is all I've got at the moment :) :P

DinoNTrains

Those are quite a nice touch :)

TrainFan2020

wow :o

the castle ruins are awesome!!!

KEEP ON BUILDING!!

PETERSAM12

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: PeterSam12 on July 17, 2012, 12:07:22 PM
wow :o

the castle ruins are awesome!!!

KEEP ON BUILDING!!

PETERSAM12
Thanks. They took me the most part of the day to paint and weather so it's nice to know my hard work is appreciated. But the paint and weathering slight touch ups, I'll upload some photos of it at about 30% complete as that's the only time I thought to take pictures DURING painting and weathering. LOL, so much like me :P.
EDIT:
Here they are

Pictures of my layout to come soon :).

JWR3001

Wow, that actually looks really good--you'll have to share some of your weathering secrets with us sometime so I can use them on my Classic Windmill project!  ;D

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your layout in its entirety!

JWR3001

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: JWR3001 on July 18, 2012, 12:17:00 AM
Wow, that actually looks really good--you'll have to share some of your weathering secrets with us sometime so I can use them on my Classic Windmill project!  ;D

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your layout in its entirety!

JWR3001
Well my secret was sprinkling dark green grass on it when the paint was fresh, if anyones intrested about paints, I used model master dark slate grey for base, then covered with testors flat grey, and finally all wooden surfaces were covered with testors wood paint :). I'll post pictures soon, provided imageshack behaves itself ;).