Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Layout Thread

Started by SodorAdventures, February 22, 2012, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: JWR3001 on July 20, 2012, 12:39:06 AM
Quote from: AJW98Productions on July 19, 2012, 08:28:34 PM
Note the dark blue blur in the backround, any guesses as to who that might be ;) ?

James? :D

Seriously though, the layout is coming along nicely...sounds like you have some very ambitious plans for your layout (although I seriously doubt you'll find any N gauge Skarloey Railway stock for sale--sorry).

I also notice that your Windmill Kit comes with the stuff needed to motorise it (which is a whole lot more than I can say for the Dapol Windmill)...I must say I'm looking forward to seeing that happen once its completed.

JWR3001

Well I know there were people out there who could make them for you, don't think there are anymore, but a small section of that post got cut off where I asked if anyone knew if people still make them for you.

The Model Power windmill is n guage so it is slightly out of guage, and the colour it came in make me want to be sick, so I'll be doing some repainting, sometime soon. And James, Dark blue blur? I think not ;).

AJW98Productions

JWR3001

No no, you're definitely right, now that I think about it, there are still professional scratchbuilders/model builders who will do this sort of thing for you (I've contacted a few myself in the past), although my guess is that they'll charge you quite a lot of money to build the models for you--in some cases its not economically viable (and you may also be required to include plans/drawings of what you want).

Quote from: AJW98Productions on July 20, 2012, 12:45:48 AM
And James, Dark blue blur? I think not ;).

AJW98Productions

Haha!  :D

JWR3001

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: JWR3001 on July 20, 2012, 01:01:25 AM
No no, you're definitely right, now that I think about it, there are still professional scratchbuilders/model builders who will do this sort of thing for you (I've contacted a few myself in the past), although my guess is that they'll charge you quite a lot of money to build the models for you--in some cases its not economically viable (and you may also be required to include plans/drawings of what you want).

Quote from: AJW98Productions on July 20, 2012, 12:45:48 AM
And James, Dark blue blur? I think not ;).

AJW98Productions

Haha!  :D

JWR3001
Do you still know who they are, it'd be nice to get an estimate, but if all else fails, I'll pray for bachmann to make them, and then try to build them by observing what people who've done this sort of thing do :) ;) :D ;D .

AJW98Productions

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Sorry for double posting, but does anyone have any constructive critisim, any at all? I could do with some, because if I do this in future I'd like to know how I can possibly lift my game a little :) .

RW James

Quote from: AJW98Productions on July 20, 2012, 11:50:05 AM
Sorry for double posting, but does anyone have any constructive critisim, any at all? I could do with some, because if I do this in future I'd like to know how I can possibly lift my game a little :) .
Well, since you asked - I really like the castle ruins and the placement on the layout. I do NOT care much for the huge boulders you placed around it. They might look better if they were set deeper into the scenery. But they honestly look like they're just placed on this hill, which, of course, over time, they would roll into the valley below.
Good idea with the N scale windmill. You might be able to make it work if you enlarge the doors. I've seen the same kit in my hobby shop and have honestly considered buying it just to get the motorized unit to put into my Dapol kit. But the price seems prohibitive. I'll be looking for other options.
Other than that, your layout is looking good.
Rick

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: RW James on July 20, 2012, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: AJW98Productions on July 20, 2012, 11:50:05 AM
Well, since you asked - I really like the castle ruins and the placement on the layout. I do NOT care much for the huge boulders you placed around it. They might look better if they were set deeper into the scenery. But they honestly look like they're just placed on this hill, which, of course, over time, they would roll into the valley below.
Good idea with the N scale windmill. You might be able to make it work if you enlarge the doors. I've seen the same kit in my hobby shop and have honestly considered buying it just to get the motorized unit to put into my Dapol kit. But the price seems prohibitive. I'll be looking for other options.
Other than that, your layout is looking good.
There just there more so because I wanted something to fill up bit of space due to myself not having not much grass to use at the moment but hey thanks anyway :) .
The n scale windmill was actually quite cheap, hitting around $30.00 but I'm a member of a local train club so I get 10% discount there :) .

RW James

Quote from: AJW98Productions on July 20, 2012, 12:20:35 PM
...The n scale windmill was actually quite cheap, hitting around $30.00 but I'm a member of a local train club so I get 10% discount there :) .
Sorry, but $30 is a bit pricey for a motor when I already have the Dapol kit - even with the 10% discount. But I hope it works out for you.
Rick

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: RW James on July 20, 2012, 05:27:35 PM
Quote from: AJW98Productions on July 20, 2012, 12:20:35 PM
...The n scale windmill was actually quite cheap, hitting around $30.00 but I'm a member of a local train club so I get 10% discount there :) .
Sorry, but $30 is a bit pricey for a motor when I already have the Dapol kit - even with the 10% discount. But I hope it works out for you.
True I guess, but shopping around on ebay or something like that could reduce the price alot, I don't shop around alot and usually when I'm in a hobby store I walk in clueless about what I want unless I've really thought it through, but I know that windmill is cheap, because it could've cost me double easy if it wasn't in the first hand bargin box ;) :D

Anthony P2

sorry I'm going off topic. back on the 9th i ordered a Hornby Murdoch and he came on Wednesday. I must say he was worth every penny. sprung buffers, great detail, electric pick ups in the tender, great hauler, DCC ready, there is not one bad thing i can say about this model. He looks really nice with the rest of the Bachmann fleet. To my surprise he was shorter, in length, then Bachmann Spencer.  :o  He also fits on the Tidmouth turntable and can fit inside Tidmouth sheds. the only thing, when backing him into Tidmouth, his buffers catch the door a little bit. If i push in his buffers then the doors close, so i guess it's a good thing that he has sprung buffers. He also can go on 18" radius curves.

Shawn

did you get it at Hattons or model railway imports?   I'd rccomend model railway imports

Anthony P2

Hattons. i feel like most of their stuff is reasonably priced.  i mostly use Hattons. if Hattons doesn't have what i'm looking for, then i use Rails of Sheffield. I can use paypal with Rails of Sheffield too. I have certain sites i use from here (US), the UK, and Australia. Model Railway Imports i'm iffy about, because of payment. i was thinking about using it soon though.

Shawn

They are very exellent!  Because mum and dad don't have credit cards,  she does this
1-She sends a list of what she's buying,
2-the man (steve) calculates an invoice with shipping to BC,
3-And my mum does an e-transfer via CIBC (or another major bank)
4-and he ships it the order that day, or the next buisness day.  Mail only comes 5 days a week north of the border.

The added incentive for me, is that I don't have to pay duty, and exchange rates.

I whole-heartedly reccomend them!

~S

RW James

Quote from: Anthony P2 on July 21, 2012, 09:46:52 PM
... I can use paypal with Rails of Sheffield too. I have certain sites i use from here (US), the UK, and Australia. Model Railway Imports i'm iffy about, because of payment. i was thinking about using it soon though.
Model Railway Imports uses Paypal as well. Very simple - you email the order, he sends back by return email the Paypal link and you're good to go.
Rick

Shawn

Layout Building....in 3D![/size][/size][/size]

~S

Calebtrain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)