News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Layout Thread

Started by SodorAdventures, February 22, 2012, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

branmas

Yes, but who says you have to base it off the TVS or the RWS. You can make your layout how you want it.

StephOfTheEast

Quote from: Brandude!!! =D on November 06, 2012, 10:10:14 PM
Yes, but who says you have to base it off the TVS or the RWS. You can make your layout how you want it.

Exactly. You can have as many stalls in Tidmouh Sheds as you want and have Toby living wherever you want. That's why this hobby is so fun.  ;)

AndyJB

DinoNTrains please do me a favour and measure across all 7 sheds at their widest point and from the back of the centre shed to the front of the turntable. I have a full shed and 2 additions unbuilt for my grandsons layout and now wondering if I have room on the main layout or I might have to build an add on portion just for the sheds, kinda modular.

Thanks

DinoNTrains

Quote from: AndyJB on November 12, 2012, 07:19:14 AM
DinoNTrains please do me a favour and measure across all 7 sheds at their widest point and from the back of the centre shed to the front of the turntable. I have a full shed and 2 additions unbuilt for my grandsons layout and now wondering if I have room on the main layout or I might have to build an add on portion just for the sheds, kinda modular.

Thanks

I'll get to it ASAP, my good sir :)

EDIT: AndyJB, the measurements for the back of the middles stall to the front of the turntable is 28 inches (71.12 cm), and the measurements from the widest points is 37 inches (93.98 cm). Hope this helps
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

therailwayinspector

Thought you all might be interested in seeing pictures of my rough-setup for MY new layout...

A Sodor-themed layout, it is set to consist of 4 locations from the TV series, being Great Waterton, Henry's tunnel (an undercover fiddle yard), Dryaw and Brendam Docks.

Photos below show my rough setup plan prior to the boards being frames and the final plan being drawn...

Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

Calebtrain

This layout does look very promising, the Tunnel does look good, and the Docks sure are busy. Please keep us posted!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

DinoNTrains

Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

therailwayinspector

Thanks- don't worry I'll be posting updates as soon as they occur.

And yus that will indeed be Derek. Had him only a week or so now but a FANTASTIC model I must say!
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

WittmanStudios

Hello Everyone,

I love the photo's of layout progression. I might join in on the fun.

I am in the middle of drawing out plans for Ffarquhar station and yards, based on the C. Reginald Dalby's illustrations. Since I live in the USA so I'll have to build my own stuff. I'll use Bachmann Thomas and fright stock though because Bachmann's Thomas model looks like Dalby's illustration of Thomas.

Since the holidays are coming as fast as Nascar drivers, I won't be able to work on the layout right away and I'm still laying out the track plan and benchwork design. I'm very excited myself, I love a yard layout for shunting trucks around.

Good luck on future updates & Happy Holidays!

Alex Wittman

Calebtrain

Sounds like a good project. You may not have to build the station if you can find a TOMY one on eBay. :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

WittmanStudios

Thank you for the suggestion, but I prefer having almost everything to scale on my layout. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea, but the thing is Tomy building's are out of scale by a few centimeters, I personally would like to build my own because I'm the type of guy who loves to work with my hands and what's building a model railway without a little adventure?

I'm not putting you down, if you like using tomy buildings on your layout, it's a great idea, but it's not my cup of cocoa, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for the suggestion.  ;)

SodorAdventures

Hey Whittman,

I totally get where you are coming from. I am the same way. If you really want to go all out for a Thomas replica Ho scale station, try to find the old retired hornby maithwaite station kit. Its a total of 3 parts. 1 platform, and two buildings. They show up on ebay now and again. Hornby also made a dryaw station, I have that one, but it is more difficult to find.

Dryaw station:

Maithwaite (on a layout):

Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

WittmanStudios

Thank you Sodor Adventures for the helpful advice. I wish I could purchase those items off of ebay, but the thing is I don't have an ebay account, nor will I ever, I just don't do internet auctions.

Another thing is, I live in the USA and Items like that and where I live is pretty hard to obtain, it may be easy on the east coast, but I live in the pacific northwest closest to the west coast. I really appreciate the tips and suggestions, but I would like to replicate the station building the way Dalby illustrated it to be, and I am aiming to have the layout be 85% accurate, the track design won't be exact, but close enough. 

I feel very happy to know there are a lot of helpful people on this thread who look out for each other.

Thank you, very much!  :D

Shawn

I want that H****Y (we are not supposed to say the actual brand name) Dryaw and maithwaite stations,  They are beautiful.  I am lucky enough to own three of the great waterton buildings though.

Mulfred

Yes I agree both Dryaw and Maithwaite are amazing addions to any layout. hope I can get them again once I restart my Collection. :( miss my engines