News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

report - sound value has been experienced

Started by florynow, February 25, 2012, 08:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florynow

I bought a mogul.  It is a very nice engine, I am generally very pleased with it, and I'm going to talk about its positive points elsewhere.

But ....... I have to say ... compared to the regular Bachmann Soundtraxx sound (already abbreviated from the regular aftermarket Tsunami systems ) ...... "Sound Value" sound has been cut back too much in my opinion.

I've run other sound equipped Bachmann engines for a good while now and been very pleased.  But, comparatively, the mogul lacks:

1.  Dynamo sound.  Without that, headlight operation seems odd.
2.  Brake Squeal.  It just sounds right on the other engines.  Lack of it is very peculiar.
3.  Coupler crash.  Just very essential on a switching operation.
4.  Function 6 - tender water fill.  I don't use this much but it can stand in for injector overflow.  Another nice sound not available.

I miss these sounds.  Is a lot of production money being saved by these sounds not being present?  I'd find that hard to believe.

PF

Bucksco

This locomotive is available in a "DCC Ready" version with an NMRA compliant socket. Those out there Who prefer a full Tsunami decoder with more features can purchase the "DCC Ready" of this loco and easily install one. There is a reason that these locomotives cost less and an option has been provided  for those wanting more features.

richg

Different strokes for different folks.
The real issue is people not doing their homework and making assumptions. I am seeing this quite often about DCC, including sound in the forums I belong to. Some jump right in and do very little research.
From what I see in the different ads, the specs are given for the loco most of the time.
I have some steamers with the Tsunami I installed.
I knew right from the beginning my Spectrum with on board sound did not have all the same specs.
All the documents are readily available.
When Bowser came out with on board Tsunami I emailed Bowser and was told, the decoder is the same as the ones I buy directly. Same specs.

Rich

beampaul7

I am VERY satisfied with my 2-6-0's and the price!  I get very disatisfied with the constant carping that goes on at times.  It is what it is.  If one does'nt like it don't buy it!                                                                                                                                                 Paul >:(

richg

Many are not aware of how many products Bachmann sells in the USA and overseas which includes a lot of stuff  not used in the USA.
I posted a link a week or so ago. Go look for it.

There is a lot more than just HO non-sound/sound locos.

A company cannot afford to stagnate today. They have to change and change does not please everyone. The world and the hobby is continually evolving.

Rich

uncbob

Don't need those extra sounds as I just have mine starting and going round and round
Exhaust whistle and headlight and standing at rest sounds are all I need

Like the lower price

Bucksco

The Spectrum line is not changing or going away.

ryeguyisme

"1.  Dynamo sound.  Without that, headlight operation seems odd.
2.  Brake Squeal.  It just sounds right on the other engines.  Lack of it is very peculiar.
4.  Function 6 - tender water fill.  I don't use this much but it can stand in for injector overflow.  Another nice sound not available."

All of these I can live without, also I hate the sound of the drive rod "clank" sound, it doesn't appeal to me

it's sound "value" it what you can get for a smaller price, what you're asking might increase the price more, and for sounds that really don't matter to me and for others.

Right now I would love to have DCC and sound for all of my locomotives, especially my brass, but the way the job market for a 23 year old is, I take what I can get. Most of my track was donated to me or a lucky buy I've never spent more than $200 on nickel silver track total all together and I have well over 400 feet and surplus and I am very fortunate to have such luck. All in all I miss MDC locomotive kits and the articles in model railroader that taught you how to make things in miniature from everyday objects, now model railroader seems like a girl's cosmopolitan(did I spell it right?) magazine filled with diesels and lack of creativity YUCK

I'd be grateful to have chuff and whistle in all my locomotives, everything else is just extra to me

rogertra

Quote from: ryeguyisme on February 28, 2012, 01:44:08 PM
"1.  Dynamo sound.  Without that, headlight operation seems odd.
4.  Function 6 - tender water fill.  I don't use this much but it can stand in for injector overflow.  Another nice sound not available."

1) Dynamo.  Agree.

2) Brake squeal. Agree.

3) Coupler crash.  It's an unneeded gimmick.  Why do I need to push another button just to get some sound that does nothing.  If it was automatic?  Might change my mind.

4)  Tender filling.  Undecided on this one.

5)  Rod clank.  Yes, of course, as it's an essential sound effect on steam locos.

6.  Bell.  A must have, how can you correctly operate a locomotive without a bell?

7. Whistle. A Must have.  See 6 above.

8. Chuff.  see above.

9.  Fireman shovelling coal.  Gimmick

10.  Station announcements.  Gimmick.

Can't think of anymore.

jettrainfan

Angry passengers cause the train was late?  ::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Rangerover1944

It sure does get ridiculous don't it...........I got a loco that you can even hear the engine compartment door open and close! But who doesn't appreciate the sound of the engineer opening his thremos of coffee and pouring it to drink a little coffee. I even got a pullman hollering what the next stop is. I can't remember what function buttons to push, only like was said in previous posts, the horn/whistle, and the bell are the ones most important to me, 1&2.  But on other functions, not on sound decoders, but the mars and ditch lights on the motor decoders, but now I got them to work on auto for whatever period of time I choose. Some of the whistle sounds I've heard are terrible and can do without. Sometimes I like to silence everything and just like to watch and listen to the wheels on the tracks. Another reason I like Digitrax sound decoders, if I don't like a particular default sound I can change it by downloading the sounds from their download page and choose what I want with Digitrax PR3, I can erase a default complete engine sound and download a different one. Not only that I can mix and match sounds. Not only that, I've been told I can go to a train yard, and digitally download any sound I want and load them in my puter, upoad them and then download them to the loco using the PR3 program. Jim

beampaul7

I'm quite satisfied with the sound and the price of these locomotives.  It would be nice if it had a steam release but I would'nt be willing to pay more than twenty five dollars or so to get that added.  I am hopeful that a new release of the 2-8-0 (hopefuly in Southern black)  with Sound Value And, perhaps, the 4-6-0 as well will be forthcoming in the future.  The low price has made it possible for me to buy three of these loco's, two with sound.  I am happy that Bachmann has chosen to provide an affordable alternative for those of us who can't afford to buy the higher priced full featured sound units.  Keep the faith Bachmann, I can hardly wait.

Paul

uncbob

I applaud Bachmann for this move
Prices were getting ridiculous for the average modeler

I know from other sites there are those that buy 3 EM1s  etc but for the average RR modeler the new Sound Values are great

Bucksco

Quote from: beampaul7 on February 28, 2012, 10:22:21 PM
I'm quite satisfied with the sound and the price of these locomotives.  It would be nice if it had a steam release but I would'nt be willing to pay more than twenty five dollars or so to get that added.  I am hopeful that a new release of the 2-8-0 (hopefuly in Southern black)  with Sound Value And, perhaps, the 4-6-0 as well will be forthcoming in the future.  The low price has made it possible for me to buy three of these loco's, two with sound.  I am happy that Bachmann has chosen to provide an affordable alternative for those of us who can't afford to buy the higher priced full featured sound units.  Keep the faith Bachmann, I can hardly wait.

Paul

The Sound Value steam locos do feature steam release.

beampaul7

Thanks for the heads up Yardmaster, my electronic ears don't pick up these things

Paul :-[