News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wiring

Started by glsummers, July 23, 2007, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

How do you wire a peco switch to an Atlas switch box. Can someone explain this in simple terms. Thanks

Jim Banner

The Peco switch motor has two connection tabs for each coil.  Both coils have one of their connecting tabs  on one side of the motor and and the other on the other side of the motor.

The Atlas Switch box has two connection screws on each end and three in the middle at the top.

Connect one tab from each Peco switch motor coil to the centre top connection screw.  You can do this using only one wire.  Just connect it to both tabs on one side on the Peco switch motor.

Connect one of the remaining tabs on the Peco switch motor to one of the remaining top screws on the Atlas Switch box,

Connect the last tab on the Peco switch motor to the last screw on the Atlas Switch box.

Your power pack or power supply has two wires or connections for two wires.  Connect one wire from your power pack or power supply to each of the end screws on the same end of the Atlas Switch box.  Connect the other wire from your power pack or power supply to the remaining end screw.

What about the two screws on the other end of the Atlas Switch box?  They are for connecting to the next switch box when you add another turnout (switch.)

What if you want the Peco turnout to throw the other way when you push the button on the Atlas Switch Box?  Just reverse the two wires that each connect to only one Peco switch motor tab, either at the switch motor end or at the switch box end (but not both!) 

Hooking it all up should take less time than it did to read these simple directions.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

glsummers

Hey Jim,
Good to hear from you again. What you are saying is to connect both tabs on one side of the peco switch moter and run it to the center screw of the atlas switch box. Then the other two tabs on the other side goes either to the right or left of the center screw of the atlas switch. Thanks, I think this is what you are saying. You are a great help. Larry

Jim Banner

Quote from: glsummers on July 24, 2007, 10:32:16 AM
Hey Jim,
Good to hear from you again. What you are saying is to connect both tabs on one side of the peco switch moter and run it to the center screw of the atlas switch box. Then the other two tabs on the other side goes either to the right or left of the center screw of the atlas switch. Thanks, I think this is what you are saying. You are a great help. Larry

I think that was what I was trying to say  ;D  Yes it was.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

glsummers

Thanks Jim, I got it.

Terry Toenges

GL -
I wouldn't be talking about Peco or Atlas on here.
Stephen Warrington doesn't approve of other companies being mentioned.
Feel like a Mogul.

r.cprmier

Who is Stephen Warrington?
(Who IS John gault?)

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Stephen Warrington

Hi Rich,

I am Stephen and I  don't mind who you mention in your posts. Terry and I got into a minor disagreement with a Post regarding someone out right advertising Lionel  in the General Forum so pay Terry's comment no mind as I may need help with some wiring or a PROTO 2000 2-10-2l ater on   

Pardon any typos as I am still recovering from major eye Surgery.

Stephen

r.cprmier

Steve;
Gotcha!  Take care of your eyes!  This is alomst 100% of this hobby appeal, so keep them in ship shape condition.

When I wrote that, for some reason, Ayn Rand came to mind, and had to toss in that quip (too much time on my hands perhaps...).  I never pay Terry any mind, anyways...(LOL)   
I am flattered that you would consider me a source of help.  THank you.

Right now, I am breaking in the sister engine to the one I did a year or so ago.  Fast, ain't I...?  OK; back to invoicing, so you take care of your eyes.

RIch
Rich

ken black

Another way to wire Peco to Atlas is to run a short wire on one side jioning the two points together then run a wire from each side to your switch this way you only need two wires to your switch. I have done this it works great. Ken

SteamGene

Rich,
There was the mention in Ayn Rand about people dying in the tunnels from locomotive fumes - both steam and diesel.   Which points to the idea that a lot of railroads apparently had that steam and diesel were going to co-exist for a long time.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Steve;
In the Hoosac Tunnel, a week could be a long long time...
Actually, a lot of innovation took place building that bore as it spanned a time period of about fifteen or so years, considering a war took place in that frame; but, by the time work had resumed at a nominal pace, hydraulic power had been rudimentarily developed, certainly new high explosives were on the scene, and electricity was beginning to make inroads here and there on a limited basis.

The bore, when completed, accommodated some fifty trains a day, considering it was the best route from Boston to Albany and beyond.  The stagnating fumes and lack of oxygen played hob, both on extinguishing firesand stopping trains cold, and asphyxiation of the crews and passengers.  That is when the ventilation shaft was dug, and early exhaust system used; but the B&M wound up using New Haven technology by electrifiying the tunnel, solving the problem of the abovementioned.
Where Ayn Might figure in to any of that would be an interesting conjecture, having read most of her stuff...

Have a great day.

Rich
Rich