News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-z command dcc

Started by skooksteve, February 28, 2012, 12:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skooksteve

Just hooking up an e-z command dcc control (my first venture into dcc). Programming seems simple and I've already gotten two dcc switches working. My only dcc engine right now is a Spectrum GE 44 ton switcher that I got new for Christmas. I've programmed it for various numbers on the control but on each one it makes a sound like it's geting power but never moves. I've verified that there is indeed a decoder inside :) In theory it should just work. Ideas anyone? Maybe something simple I'm missing? Thanks for help.
Steve from Corvallis, Oregon

Rangerover1944

Hello, sometimes I put an engine on the track and I get similar results for whatever reason, especially with an engine I haven't ran in a while. Even while I keep a list of what address the engine was programmen the last time I ran it.  When I do a factory reset however they work. CV 8 to 008 resets it. With EZ command put the loco on the  track, hold down button 3 and the Stop button the same time for about 2 seconds and release both buttons, the red led should flash. Press button 3 and you should be good to go! You should see the engine move a tiny bit, that tells you the decoder is reset to default 3 and should run. Hope I helped some. Jim

skooksteve

Thanks for taking time to reply, Jim. It didn't solve my problem but I'm happy to know how to do the reset. I didn't see that procedure in the documentation that came with the control.

skooksteve

After doing a fair amount of online research and trying everything a novice such as myself can do I have concluded that I purchased a (new) defective switcher loco. As Dr. McCoy said to Captain Kirk, "It's dead, Jim". Guess I'll learn how to make a warranty return to Bachmann.  :'(

Jerrys HO

Fill out the warranty card include the original sales receipt and mail it to:

Bachmann Customer Service
1400 East Erie Ave.
Philadelphia,Pa.19124

It may take a few weeks depending on their workload, just be patient and it will come back.

Also if there is a train club in your area they may check it out for you, or a local friendly hobby shop may test it for you if they have a test track. Just a thought.

Jerry

Rangerover1944

I'm glad you found it, been thinking about it but I didn't do a search, just trying to figure when the last time I had such a problem. Yes Bachmann is good to their customers and I'm sure you'll be up and running shortly. Good Luck, Jim

skooksteve

Thanks Jerry. I'll get right on it. I appreciate everyone's help.

mf5117

have you tried programming the loco on a separate track . such as the terminal railer with a 9" straight on each end by itself , separate from your main track layout . your dcc turnouts cannot be the same address as your locomotive . take your terminal railer with plug and put a straight on each end of it . and reprogram to default . and see if the loco moves . I had this problem once . when you get it addressed it will move back and forth . then increase throttle and see it it moves .

richg

Have you tried DC voltage, at least a 9 volt battery to see if the decoder works that way? Try this on a short piece of track. Make sure the loco cannot hit the floor.

Rich

skooksteve

mf5117 - Thanks for the idea, although it didn't make a difference (still makes a motor noise like it wants to run but doesn't) I've done a lot of diagnostic work in my life but I'm new to troubleshooting MRR problems. It helps to have lots of things in your bag of tricks.

Rich - it runs just fine when I disconnect DCC and hook up my old DC control so I guess I've at least determined that the motor is still good. Thanks for that. I'm still planning to try the switcher on someone elses DCC layout when possible but that make take awhile. I'm really not in a hurry to ship it off to Bachmann until I know for sure that something is broken or defective.

richg

I was not clear. Did you try the loco with decoder on DC?
The decoders are dual mode and can also run on DC.
That might tell you if the decoder is ok. If it does the same as with a DCC controller, then you have a defective decoder.
Go read the EZ Command manual in this site. Many seem to miss that.

Rich

skooksteve

The loco runs fine in DC mode (10) on the e-z command control. Just can't get it to run on any other number as DCC. I've been reading old posts and documentation on this site and have tried a couple of different ways to assign numbered outputs to the loco but to no avail. 

jward

from what you've said so far it sounds like the loco doesn't have a decoder. it makes noise on dcc, just like a dc loco would. it doesn't respond to any address you try to assign it, but it will respond to the analogue address.

some circuit boards look like decoders.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

poliss

Was the loco described as DCC Ready or DCC On Board?

richg

Quote from: skooksteve on February 29, 2012, 10:48:11 PM
The loco runs fine in DC mode (10) on the e-z command control. Just can't get it to run on any other number as DCC. I've been reading old posts and documentation on this site and have tried a couple of different ways to assign numbered outputs to the loco but to no avail.  

You should have said that in your first post.

Below is the PC board in a 44 ton DCC READY. The PC board is NOT a decoder.

From a private source, maybe a shrink wrapped decoder connected to the spot that says, Remove two clips.

Below is the PC board from a 70 ton DCC ON BOARD. Notice he difference. The PC board would most probably be the same one since the locos are about the same size. If not quite identical, it will have many of the same components. This PC board is a decoder.

Rich