News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-z command dcc

Started by skooksteve, February 28, 2012, 12:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Flip the loco over and remove two screws in the oil tank. They are Phillips head screws.. Pull the shell.

Rich

skooksteve

I was sold this unit as "DCC onboard". And I do know the difference between "onboard" and "ready" from reading past posts on this message board. I was very careful to make that distinction when shopping online. That said, I appreciate the pictures because I wouldn't know looking at the pcb just what I had in front of me logic-wise. My board looks mostly like pic 1 but has some characteristics of pic 2.

I have been trying to upload a picture but keep getting an error message no matter how many times I resize the pic to meet website requirements. I'll try putting it in a separate post.

I apologize for not being more detailed in my initial posting. I thought it was a more simple thing at the time. Sometimes us newbies don't know what we don't know. However, the steepest part of the learning curve can be most rewarding. Regards to all who have taken the time and had patience with me.
Steve from Corvallis, Oregon

skooksteve

I can't get a picture uploaded. I keep getting this message "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator. "

I've resized my jpg file to well below the 128 KB max.  Mr. Administrator...help!

richg

The standard procedure is to get a Photo Bucket account and up load the photo there.
Then attach the photo to your post in whatever forum you belong to.
There are four File possibilities to use.
In Photo Bucket, select the IMG File, slet the File, copy the file, paste the File into your forum message.
You do this with two browser windows on you display.

http://photobucket.com/

That is how I and others here post photos.

If I read your message correctly, you do have the on board option.

When you say same characteristics, I figure it must have those little black Integrated Circuits with multiple leads.

Rich

richg

If you did the decoder reeet and still does not move, I would figure a defective decoder.
Do the front and rear lights work on DCC?

Rich

sparkx

how do i program my gp40 that i got in the diesel digital command set? ???

richg

Quote from: sparkx on March 01, 2012, 07:00:56 PM
how do i program my gp40 that i got in the diesel digital command set? ???

You are hijacking threads. It is better to start your own thread like I already suggested. You only have to ask once with the proper subject line.

I would suggest starting a new thread. Look at the documents for the EZ Command right in the Bachmann site.
With the proper subject line, it would make it easier to track and for others to see the subject line if they have the same question.

Rich

skooksteve

OK, I'm trying the Photobucket thing. Best I could do was to get the link here.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii495/skooksteve/GE44ton.jpg

Jim Banner

The board in your photo appears to be a lighting board, not a decoder.  I base this on seeing no active components such as integrated circuits on the board.  What I do see is a bunch of resistors and diodes which are characteristic of lighting boards.  The two large items that look like 1/2 watt resistors are most likely choke coils (inductors.)  You can confirm this by seeing if the board is marked L1, L2 etc. where they are mounted.  If they are electrically in series with the motor, this would also be confirmation.  The capacitors are surface mount ones right below the coils in your photo.  Above the coils are two clips.  These are the same as the two clips in Rich's first photo.  They are designed to be removed and the wires from a decoder soldered into the holes in their place.  I expect that the numbers correspond to the pin numbers on a decoder with 8 pin plug.  If you decide to install a decoder, just ask and one of us can give you a list relating pin numbers to standard wire colours.

I understand you bought this locomotive in good faith believing that it had a decoder on board.  Looking at your photograph of the board, I could believe that the seller sold it in good faith believing that the board was a decoder.  I suggest you contact the seller, refer him to this thread, and then try to come up with some reasonable agreement.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

skooksteve

Thanks Jim. That cleared up a lot for me. I appreciate having access to your electronic knowledge. If I can't settle with the seller I may have another learning experience in store attaching a decoder.

Jerrys HO

I had purchased a GP50 DCC and when I got it the engine did the same thing. I sent it back with the box that said DCC onboard and Bachmann had no problem swapping it out. Before I would install A decoder in it I would send it back.

Jerry

skooksteve

Thanks, Jerry. I think that may be the best thing to try. I'm not having much luck contacting the seller. I think he probably sold it in good faith and I doubt he would have replacement inventory as he mostly specializes in N and Z scale. This was a unique situation where I did not test the loco (with DCC) for nearly 3 months after purchase because I didn't yet have a DCC control. That won't happen again.

I have to say though, after this little learning adventure I may just pay that little extra and support my local model train shops. It's about two to three hours round trip depending on which one but it's a pretty drive and I get to talk face to face with train nuts  ;D

hcopter51

I just wanted to say that I am glad you got the problem solved.....Also, the help on this was knowledgeable, friendly and most interesting....It's super not to be treated as an idiot when asking a question......Kudos to all that helped this person...... ;)
"KEEP THE WHEELS SPINNING"

skooksteve

I just wanted to give an update on how this turned out. The box (see picture) that my loco came in had an item number indicating it was a DCC ready model (item # 80035). I had ordered item # 62201 which is the DCC onboard model. This was a seller error (which I don't believe was intentional after corresponding with him). Therefore I couldn't send the unit to Bachmann as having been mislabeled and the seller didn't have the right replacement unit so we agreed on a partial credit back. Since then I purchased a decoder, soldered it in and all functions of the switcher are working great and the E-Z  command control is doing everything it's supposed to. In the end I still got a good deal on the total package and learned quite a few things in the process (not to mention brushing up on my electronic soldering skills).

Following is a link to a site I used for a reference to what colored wires to connect to which contact points on the circuit board. It includes pictures.

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2010/08/bachmann-ge-44-ton-decoder-installation.html

Here are my pics: