NCE D13SR problem hard wire decoder install......

Started by Rangerover1944, March 04, 2012, 03:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerover1944

I installed a NCE D13SR decoder in an older, split frame 4-6-2 loco, this was not my first venture with the exact loco, but my first ever hard wire using this decoder. In the past I installed TCS and all went well.  I had to do a little more fumbling and weight cutting to install the decoder. 4 of the wires broke off at the decoder pads. Oddly the 3 wires I soldered for functions 3 and 4 for ditch lights with digitrax wire were fine. In the end what I found out was NCE is apparantly using non lead solder which is brittle. The other thing I didn't care much for was the coating on NCE wire, is about the hardest I ever worked with. I used a 30 ga wire stripper I purchased, just to let others know, but with the stress needed to strip the wire may be enough to pull the wires from the decoder if you slip. I desoldered all the NCE wire pads and replaced the wire with the more flexable digitrax decoder wires and my normal lead solder. In conclusion, my first adventure with NCE hard wire decoder was a bit more than frustrating. You simply can't bend them too much, more than twice before they break at the solder pads. I'm quite satisfied though with the decoder performance, but in the future will stick with TCS for hard wire installs. Jim

richg

You might pop of an email to NCE and kindly let them know of this issue. Others may have had the same thing happen.
I have heard of issues with non lead solder but have never used that type of solder for that reason.

Rich

Rangerover1944

Yea Rich I did just that, I sent them an email!
Jim

Bucksco

Does NCE have an online forum to discuss their products?

Rangerover1944

Quote from: Yardmaster on March 04, 2012, 05:36:06 PM

Oh geeez! I'm sorry Yardmaster for posting about problems I had with another company's products just giving a heads up to other MRR's. I was however pleased with the performance of the decoder in spite of the extra work involved! I guess I should have mentioned it was in an older Bachmann loco that I kind of made new again, it is a good runner! It won't happen again! jim

richg

Quote from: Yardmaster on March 04, 2012, 05:36:06 PM

Yes there is. I forgot to mention it. It is a Yahoo Group many are not aware of.
I was thinking the OP had a split frame Bachmann when I answered him.

Rich

Rangerover1944

Yup Rich it is a Bachmann! And thanks I know of the yahoo groups, but I didn't join the aformentioned product specific group.. I really don't think I'll be using that product again for hardwire, I'll stick with what I know and experienced works for me! Thanks Rich anyhow! Jim