News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What makes an HO Mogul not Spectrum statis ?

Started by MarkInLA, March 07, 2012, 07:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

Pacific

I hope you meant

QuoteThe end.

But we know it is not possible.

Jerry  ;)

ryeguyisme

Quote from: florynow on March 10, 2012, 07:37:34 PM

Most of you folks appear to like things the way they are now, I don't.  The end.

PF

I'm 23 now and started with trains since as long I have had a memory. My father was the train man in the family, collecting gorre and daphetid kits and Mantua and MDC kits, and I was in it since day one. I had thomas, fisher price, little tikes, and legos until I got into modeling. I used to take my Dad's pancake motored bachmann daylight's to my room and hide them under my bed and stare at them for hours at only 3 or 4 years of age which resulted in a rather harsh spanking(but I never learned to follow the do not touch Dad's trains rule) And then part of collection ended up in a small avon box marked broken trains, and I was allowed to play with everything in that box like a partly built mantua pacific and a bunch of random freight cars and other model including some athearn diesels. Eventually I got my own Bachmann Plus GS-4 Warbaby and loved it so much.

I grew up with MDC kits that my father had, regardless of the fact that he didn't want me to touch those either. I built them up by myself in my early teens like a couple 4-4-2's and 0-6-0's and a narrow gauge 2-8-0 that I still have. And through high school I got a few IHC and rivarossi Steamers and a few bachmann 2-8-0's with pancake motors that would pull the paint off the wall until the axles finally split on me.

It wasn't until I was about 17 that I got my first sound locomotive, a  first generation BLI hudson which I ran until the wheels ate all the electrical corrosion in the steel track I had. I eventually sold it on ebay when I lost interest in it.

Today I have roughly four sound engines-worth considering the locomotives seem to not like DC all that much with their decoders BLI/bachmann. So for now I run DC without sound. I have 2 kitbashed brass engines built on chassis that had sound systems but took the decoders out because they hindering performance and 2 unbashed brass engines I'd like to someday put decoders in but save that for a day when possibly decoders are made with durability for DC or I go DCC when a solution for me comes.

I still like my brass and kitbashed plastic/diecast engines, the only thing ready to run means to me is kitbash fodder, I have 2 decapods on layaway w/sound that will be used for just that.

I basically started with scraps, then kits, and then barely had money to buy brass and some RTR and still managed. I just got a Job for the Home Depot and hoping to move upwards with it since I love working there. But I've always been a poor person when it came to modeling, most of my track comes from donations, the club trash, or a once in a lifetime deal I struck.

That being said I can care less about a few sounds omitted from a decoder for value. You may have all the money in the world, I do not.

Conductor pops

WOW you guys are Way out there for me. As a newbie to the Hobie. Building a layout that my family and friends will enjoy and on a semi retired budget. Let me share a story with you. Attending my first train show "Worlds Greatest Hobie on tour" Cincinnati. With eztrack part numbers, track accessory, wiring questions,and competitive prices in hand. I stopped by the Bachmann booth to discuss loop modules, wiring and gap track. I mentioned to him on my wish list to have sound locos. After listening to my situation he presented me with a Bachmann 2012 catalogue, turned to page 41 and proceded to demonstrate to me the difference between sound value and spectrum. To a novice like me it sounded like everything i was looking for at more than half the price! Not to mention my ezcomand controller can only do so much.

As i attended the show both days, Sat with the grandkids and sun by myself I noticed how much larger and more attended the Bachman booth was. Not to mention they ran out of bags and catalogs both days while MTH,Atlas and Who were those other guys? had plenty left to haul home.LOL

So to me its just good business to cater to novices today turning them into loyal customers tomorrow securing  todays and future market share

Pacific Northern

Quote from: florynow on March 16, 2012, 09:26:20 PM
The problem with catering to novices only is that the veterans aren't getting the full-featured items they want.  There are other people making full featured and fully detailed steam engines, but only large ones right now .  Sooner or later they'll notice the void once filled by Spectrum small steam engines and fill it.  I'll be there when they do. Unless it's a PRR engine  :o :D ;D

PF

Yes, at about three times the price.
Pacific Northern

Bucksco

Quote from: florynow on March 16, 2012, 09:26:20 PM
The problem with catering to novices only is that the veterans aren't getting the full-featured items they want.  There are other people making full featured and fully detailed steam engines, but only large ones right now .  Sooner or later they'll notice the void once filled by Spectrum small steam engines and fill it.  I'll be there when they do. Unless it's a PRR engine  :o :D ;D

PF

Tell that to everyone who just bought an EM-1...
As far as small steam locos go - just plug a Tsunami into it (as I've suggested many times over)....
And as far as PRR locos are concened - Standard Railroad of the World my friend!

Bucksco

You "assume" way too much. I cited the EM-1 as an example of Bachmann's ongoing dedication to the Spectrum line. Bachmann usually produces one Spectrum loco a year and it's not always the same size. Everyone has different tastes. The Spectrum line is not changing or going away any time soon.

As far as mounting a speaker is concerned we have provided the mount for it in the 2-6-0. All you need to do is glue it in and connect two wires. If you can't work a screwdriver and a tube of glue I'm sure you could go down to the local train club or hobby store and ask someone to do it for you. There are also dealers out there who would be more than happy to do an install for you - give SoundTraxx a call or email them for a list of installers.

And you are correct - Bachmann is in business to make money so that we can make more trains for all of you model railroaders out there. If our business model does not please you that's okay - there are plenty of other manufacturers out there for you to patronize.

And as far as I'm concerned we don't produce anywhere near enough PRR locomotives and rolling stock!  ;D

P.S. we are right about at the end of the "dissent toleration level"......

Jerrys HO

Paul

There is one thing you have missed or have yet to think of.

QuoteThere are other people making full featured and fully detailed steam engines, but only large ones right now .  Sooner or later they'll notice the void once filled by Spectrum small steam engines and fill it.

Once they figure out why their sales are dropping and Bachmann's is growing, They in turn may wish to follow suit.
I myself own one of those other brands which cost me $250.00. I wish these little babies would have come out sooner so I would not have blown all that hard cash on one engine. Instead I could have both.

QuoteI'll pay it of course, but the product is ultimately more directed more to the novice than the veteran, as noted earlier ....... and veterans at some point are going to move on to other sources if not served well.

There are quite a few veterans in my area that would disagree. As one told me it is easier to detail an engine to your liking than to remove parts that are molded in place or glued in place.
I am not as experienced as you in modeling but I have sat in with a few and from listening to most of them they prefer to detail them to there liking.
I recently brought my S4 with sound value to a local  club and none of them could believe the quality of the loco for such a small price. My next purchase is the 2-6-0.

richg

We Geezers like to hang on as long as we can. lol

Rich

Jerrys HO

Rich

I have to agree. I will be 50 years young next month and try to hang on to everything as so I won't fall. ;D
I have never owned a Spectrum but have had the pleasure of watching them run.
I will say the new sound value loco's are just as nice. For Paul's sake let's give them a new name. How about SEMI-SPECTRUM or ECONO-SPECTRUM. Or we can just leave it like it is....

Jerry