News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in an Athearn SW 1500

Started by stevedb, April 25, 2012, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevedb

Has anyone tried to put sound into an Athearn SW 1500?

richg

Quote from: stevedb on April 25, 2012, 09:25:36 PM

You have a better chance of getting an answer in the below forum. Free to join and considerably more members.

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/744.aspx

Rich

bapguy

I installed a SOundtraxx TSU-GB1000-EMD645. This is aboard style and has 1.5V out put for the lights which is what Athearn uses. I had to modify the pick up on the rear truck, took out the cab interior forspeaker place ment. If this sound like a lot ,a sound decoder with an 8 or 9 pin plug will work. The cab interior still needs to be removed for the speaker to fit in. I cut a piece of plastic the size of the PC board and drilled holes in the corners to fit over the tabs where the board fit. I put a piece of tape over the ends to cover th metal. I had to put the cound decoder in backwards and up side down. I cut down the metal part on the truck where the power wire is soldered to. This was needed to clear the the caps on the decoder. I placed a piece of tape over the caps to prevent a possible short.It took about 4 hours to do this. I am very pleased with the results. Mine is a Great Northern model with a cab mounted strobe light. I hooked up the bulb to out putF5 and programmed this to work as a strobe light. It's great. I know tis is long winded, but it was worth it.  Joe.

richg

Quote from: stevedb on April 25, 2012, 09:25:36 PM

I just searched the site link I gave you. There is detailed info there. Since this is a Bachmann product site, I cannot post it here. I will add that the sound is a Tsunami.
Sent you a PM with what looks like a good link for this install.

Rich