News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann K4 with Soundtraxx TSU 1000

Started by Cooped, March 24, 2012, 09:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blf

Richg: Thank you for the circuit site. I have been wondering where I could find something like this for a long time. This is one of the issues that has caused me to keep putting off some of the projects on the shelf. This brings the EM-1 project front and center . Halleuyah. Bill

richg

Quote from: Cooped on March 25, 2012, 05:33:35 PM
It's supposed to be new from the factory and in looks to be in my opinion. I did get it at what I thought to be a pretty good price at the Greenburg show this weekend, but it was from a stand I have bought from before, a business rather than a private seller. I can't see any evidence of modification.

Again, let everyone know what you eventually find out. This seems to be a new issue with the Tsunami that I and others have not seen before. The loco current seems fine.

Rich

Cooped

Don't worry Rich, I will keep everyone up to date.

As recommended by members of another forum I removed the PCB completely last night and hard wired the decoder. Firstly I was quite pleased with myself for just having done that, it being my first real soldering job. All ran fine for a couple of minutes, until ...... :'( it iver heated again.

I was wondering then why it would work ok in one loco but not this one. The only thing I can think of right now is the position I had the decoder in the other loco it was wedged up against the chunky metal chassis so it could be I still need to work on a heat sink (it was out in the open air when I tested after hard wiring it in).

I'm going to contact Soundtraxx today anyway, see what they say.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

Cooped

Had a response from Sountraxx who are recommending an aluminium heat sink with heat sink grease. Having run the loco for a while tonight I think I can see that although it overheats regardless of whether the lights or sound is on, but it happens faster and taskes longer to cool down with the sound on.

Dan

Cooped

It was bothering me that I seemed to be able to run the decoder in another loco with no apparent problems. Having realized that the position I was able to fit the decoder was wedged in a spot where it was in contact with the metal chassis (probably a pretty good heat sink) I tried in another other loco this morning and it over heated. It certainly seems to be the sound that is the major culprit though. It was running fine just chuffing away, then I pressed function 2 for the long whistle and hey presto, over heat. I checked the speaker spec and it's 1 watt (8 ohm as said before) which ought to be ok right? It's sold by Railmaster Hobbies (DLG-8) for Soundtraxx decoders.

Dan

Cooped

Got it to overheat tonight in the loco that appeared to run ok........... added aluminium foil heat sink, still overheated. Factory reset as suggested as a last resort by Soundtraxx, overheated. I'm done, sending it back to Soundtraxx, now all I have to do is get the dealer I bought it from to give me a receipt! Perils of buying at shows. Reputable dealer with a website etc so I don't think it will be a problem.

Dan

Rod in PA

Dan,
I just opened the tender of my K4 with the intention of installing a TSU 1000.  The tender is DCC ready (light board with an NMRA socket), also a 1" molded speaker mounting hole in the bottom.  My problem is I don't have enough room to squeeze in the decoder.  The closest I get is to place it under the coal load at an angle, but the shell just doesn't close properly.

How or where did you mount the decoder in your tender?  Did you have to do any cutting or filing inside the tender to get it to fit?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I hope I don't have the same problems with this decoder that you had.

Thanks again,
Rod in PA

Cooped

Hi Rod

I certainly had to do some surgery and removed one of the weights. Even then with the speaker it was a tight fit. I'm on vacation right now, I'll have  a look when I get back to give you  a more detailed explanation of what I did. The decoder is at Soundtraxx right now, when I get it back I plan on tidying up how I had it fitted somewhat, shortening the rather excessive amount of black wire that is supplied in the tender for starters!

Dan

Rod in PA

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the info.

Yesterday I was studying the inside of the tender and removed the forward weight.  That allowed the shell to close with the decoder resting against the side of the tender.  With the weight in place and the decoder resting more against the coal load at an angle, the shell closes to within 1/16th of an inch at that corner of the tender.  I'm thinking that by filing down the top of the weight on the side where the decoder will rest may provide enough room for it.  I don't want to remove the screw post if at all possible.  Any thoughts?

I agree with you about the black wires attached to the light board.  I'm also thinking about shortening them to allow a little more room for the speaker.

Thanks again Dan and enjoy your vacation.  Let me know how you make out with Soundtraxx and your installation efforts.

Rod

Cooped

An update for everyone. I got the decoder back from Soundtraxx yesterday, they fixed a faulty diode. It now works a treat, no sign of any overheating.

For Rod, I'm trying to upload some pictures, didn't work first time so we'll try again. I used a loop of tape to secure the decoder and speaker to the tender sides. I had removed the weight at the front of the tender so these are put towards the front to go in that space. They need to be put as high up the sides as possible to make sure the shell fits snuggly back on the base. I had also removed the pcb board which gave more space at the back, but no need to remove that weight.

I trimmed down the plastic pieces that the screws holding the front weight were in and also trimmed down the rim of the circular area moulded in for a small round speaker.

I stuffed the wires into the back end of the tender shell making sure as best I could they did not block the screw holds to secure the shell back onto the base.

It's definitely a tight fit in there, especially with the size speaker I chose, but it sounds great!

Dan

Cooped

For some reason I can't upload any pictures, it keeps saying the file is full even though I reduced the image size to somewhat less than the 128kb it says. Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks
Dan

Jerrys HO

Dan

you need a photobucket account  and you can download from there.

richg

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 25, 2012, 07:01:46 PM
Dan

you need a photobucket account  and you can download from there.

Common knowledge.
Determine what you need for albums. It gets contagious using Photo Bucket. Copy and paste the fourth item for the photo to the forum. IMG code

http://photobucket.com/

Rich

Cooped

Cooped