News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command 4402 dcc system

Started by yardmaster54, March 25, 2012, 01:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yardmaster54

Just bought the 44902 EZ Command system. Any opinions on this system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Yardmaster54
Yardmaster 54

Jerrys HO

Great controller for the price. There is no way to change cv's. It will operate a select number of functions like the bell, horn, and light's if your loco is equipped with any of these feature's.

Jerry

skooksteve

I'm fairly new to model railroading (less than a year) and just got this control a couple of months ago. What Jerry said about not being able to program CVs could be too much of a  limitation for more experienced and sophisticated users, but for a newbie like me it's a perfect way to start learning and using DCC. I found the control worked just as it is supposed to, handling as much as I need it to do at this time (DCC loco, DCC switcher, lights, light dimming, DCC switches and a DC loco as well). It's easy to program and use and the price is decent considering it's a DCC control (they can be found online in the $85 to $90 range).

The only challenge I ran into in the beginning was programming from the instructions that came in the box. The instructions on this Bachmann website worked better for me. Maybe just worded a bit differently or a little more thorough on some key things. Here's the link for anyone that's interested: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand.php?ezpage=1

BTW, thanks to Bachmann for making DCC (controls, locomotives, etc.) affordable to people like me who have more time and interest than money.
Steve from Corvallis, Oregon

jward

keep in mind that because of its limited functionality you may quickly outgrow this system. when that happens, there is no upgrade path to a full featured system. you'd have to buy a completely new system to replace the ez command. a much better way to go, if you can afford it, would be the dynamis, or any similar system from digitrax, nce, lenz or others. their entry level systems are full featured, and can be used as part of a larger system if and when you decide to upgrade.

in short, do some research, decide if you can live with the limitations of ez command. if not, doing your homework will let you decide which system fits your needs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

cwmeeks

I second JWard's comment, I started with a Bachmann command control set, quickly purchased a walk around companion, outgrew those and am now using a NCE ProCab. In retrospect, I should have just went with the NCE to begin with. I was however able to get most of my money out of the Bachmann stuff on e-bay. If you are  hooked on this hobby, just figure to spend the money up front. Unless like me, you don't have the patience to wait, and buy just what you can afford at the time ::)!

c

Rangerover1944

Almost like what's been said by above, I started out with EZ Command and still use it 7 years later. Retired for 7 years and on a fixed income. I did however upgrade my EZ Command with the purchase of the Bachmann 5 amp booster and I also installed 3 Bachmann auto reverse units for my loops 2 of which are hidden in my subway.

I purchased the Digitrax PR3 and installed JMRI so I can program cv's for fine tuning my loco's and sound for an additional $75.00. Some sound decoders have choices of bells, whistle's, horns, different lighting functions, mars, ditch lights, cab lights, gyro, and more. What's great about JMRI as compared to the top of the line other DCC systems is that I keep a log in the JMRI program of the cv changes I have made for each loco, and I have 38 entry's. It's better than spread sheets or scraps of paper tossed about. Even those that have the "other" DCC systems also have and use JMRI to keep a log and for the simplicity of programming cv's and sound! I am learning more about JMRI as I want to run my layout using a computer.

As we all know you can only run 9 trains with EZ and single digit address's only, LOL I run 3 or 4 trains that's enough for me to handle on my 11'x17' layout with 2 loco consist's for each train, I can however run 6 trains, but it gets confusing. Keep in mind you can't run that many trains especially with sound and/or consist's without the 5amp booster no matter what "other" entry level system you have.

You are limited to some of the funtions up to 10 for sound and or lighting functions. LOL, I can't remember all the sounds available on some of my sound decoders and what button to push anyhow. I use the bell, horn and light functions, the rest I don't bother with much. EZ also comes with addtional cards in hand control for additional loco address's and it's easy to consist with EZ Command also there are some useful video's on you tube
for EZ Command and Dynamis.

LOL if I had a choice of upgrading to one of the other systems for roughly $600 for a start, I would instead buy a Big Boy with sound and another 2-6-6-2 given the choice. I am very satisfied with what I got!
Thanks Bachmann for making this hobby simple, affordable, and enjoyable for me! Jim

Jerrys HO

I would have to agree with Jim. I myself have the exact set up he is running although I do not have the PR3 or JMRI. I am contemplating whether to go that route or upgrade to the dynamis. The E Z Command is a good system for those wanting to learn or just stay simple.

Jerry

Rangerover1944

By the way JMRI is a free software program that can be used for any DCC system

One of the things I like about is what I just did this morning. I hardwired a decoder in an older analog loco that I converted to DCC over the weekend. I have installed the same decoder in another loco in October and tweeked and programmed the decoder back then to my liking. Today I put the loco I just converted this weekend on the program track, went to JMRI in my computer, found the loco I programmed back in Oct. Hit the button "write changes on sheets", 2 minutes later I now programmed the loco the same as was done 6 months ago, a little bit of tweeking cv's and it runs great. Didn't have to change each cv one at a time. Now ain't that something! GREAT! Jim

Jim Banner

The basic E-Z Command has a number of good things going for it:

First, it is very easy to learn to operate it.  In part, this is because it fulfills the basics requirements of DCC without getting into all the complications.

Second, it has the quickest and easiest method of switching control from one train to another.  Press one button and your throttle is instantly connected to another train, leaving the previous one running in the direction and at the speed it was running before.  You don't even need to know the cab numbers or the decoder addresses - a short description of the locomotive or even a simple drawing is enough to identify which button connects your throttle to which locomotive.

Third, it is very affordable.  Even more affordable when you consider you can run multiple trains with only one throttle.  With many advanced systems, it takes so many button presses to switch a throttle from one locomotive to another that the only way to run two trains at once is to use two throttles.  And there is a good chance that the throttle alone will cost more than a complete E-Z Command system.

Getting started in model railroading can be quite a drain on our hobby resources.  We want it all and we want it now.  But not too many of us can afford it all, at least not all at once.  But going with command control right off the bat is a time and money saver later on.  The trick is being able to afford it without draining the budget of those precious start up funds we need for track, trains, scenery materials and so many other things we need right away.  This is where a low cost starter system makes a lot of sense.  Later on, we are more likely to be able to afford a more comprehensive system, if we find we need it.

Our hobby resources also include the amount of time we can afford to spend on our hobby.  Again, at the beginning, this is a precious commodity.  With so many other things to learn, learning all the ins and outs of DCC may require more time than we are willing or able to spend, especially at the outset of our model railroading hobby.  If or when we need to know will be soon enough to learn all about DCC.

Bottom line, I think Bachmann's E-Z Command is a good starter system.  For many users, it will be all they ever need.  If they do outgrow it, they can always resell it, or better yet, keep it as a standby system.

Jim       
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

skooksteve

Well put, Jim. As a newbie I'm personally quite happy with the E-Z Command and will probably continue with it for quite a while as I learn about and experiment with all the apects of this hobby. It's nice to have something I can operate from the git-go. And like you say, what we want is one thing and what gets through budget committee may be another.
Steve from Corvallis, Oregon

gary nunn

I just purchased a Dynamis e-z command.  Works really great but i am having a problem programming accessory decoders.  I am using Digitrack DS44 and DS 52 decoders for my atlas and Circuitron tortise turnout controllers.  The first DS52 works fine out of the box but I have another and 2 DS44 yet to install and I will need to programthese.  Any advise?

NarrowMinded

I started with the Ez Command And still use most of the time, I latter bought the Dynamis so I could program CV's but I still use the EZ command because it much "EZer" and I like the Dial throttle and push buttons better then the Dynamis' controls.

As for out growing the EZ-Command... there are other uses for it, I won a digital Diesel set a couple years ago in the Chrismas layout contest so I ended up with an Extra, I have torn it apart and modified it with a terminal strip that connects to each button position, With the use on N.O. alarm switches placed around the layout I am working on, I am able to just let the locomotive run around the layout at different locations sounds are activated, the whistle blows at a crossings, the steam releases as it crosses over a bridge, with some creative programing of braking to another button and a series of switched placed at different distances it will slow down on a tight curved trestle then speed up again.

NM-Jeff