Williams Conrail Rectifier 4606

Started by Red1970, August 10, 2012, 10:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red1970

Dear Williams fans,  I have an O-gauge Williams Conrail Rectifier with the locomotive numbered 4606 on the side.  It has a horn, but no bell and no lights.  It runs quietly and well.  I can't find any information about it.  Can anyone help me?  Red 1970

Joe Satnik

Dear Red,

The WBB half of my 2010 Bachmann catalog p. 36 says "In 1999, ....Williams was proud to offer the first scale sized O-Gauge 3-rail (EF-4 Rectifier) model !" 

Conrail livery shows in WBB 2010, but not in any of my 2003 thru 2005 Williams catalogs. 

Is there a box?  Can you post a picture of the printing on the end panel of the box?

Try switching wires at the lock-on to change polarity at the track.  I'll bet then that the bell will work, but not the horn.

Lights should work, one on each end.  Put the loco in neutral and crank up the throttle.  If you can't see lights, then they must be burned out.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Red1970

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your detailed and helpful comments.  No box.  I'll open the train and see if there are loose or burned-out bulbs inside.  Also, I'll work on the horn/bell situation.  Then I'll let you know.

Sincerely,

Red1970

Red1970

Dear Joe,

You were absolutely right about the lights.  For reasons I can't understand, both bulbs were burned out.  I replaced them, and they are working fine.  They are non-directional, by the way.  I'm convinced there's no bell, or it's burned out.  I even tried a Lionel 80-Watt transformer, with bell control button, both polarities, and no sale for the bell.  The horn works fine.

I'd be glad to sell this rectifier, if anyone wants it.  (And assuming it's OK to offer things for sale on this discussion board.  If not, please ignore.)  Anyway, I think I must have bought the rectifier for my grandson, who likes Conrail.  However, it's over 16 inches long, and dwarfs everything else on my layout and his.  It runs well, the horn is loud, and the lights (now) work.

Thanks again for your insights. 

Sincerely, 

Red1970

Joe Satnik

Dear Red,

Glad you got get the lights to work.  

The bell button works differently than the horn.  

Did you try to hold down the bell button for more than a second?

Horn Operation
To operate the horn of your locomotive, simply depress the horn /whistle button on your transformer.
Our True Blastâ„¢ Horns will play a 6 second sequence one time.

Bell Operation
To operate the bell on your locomotive, press and hold the bell button for one second.
To stop the bell, press and hold the button for one second.

It's possible that it has an original True Blast sound board (first iteration, horn only).  

I don't know the changeover date to TBII, (horn and bell), 3rail would know.  

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:  PS  How did you know which type of bulbs to buy?  What bulb number did you use?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Red1970

Dear Joe,  OK--I'll try the horn once more.  I didn't know which bulbs to use.  I just grabbed two bayonet-type
bulbs and put them in.  They are probably 12 volt.  They worked fine.  I plan to give the locomotive to a nurse
I work with.  She loves Williams trains, but she's having financial hard times, so she can't buy any right now.
She has a huge O-gauge layout, so the rectifier will look great on those wide, sweeping curves.  It's very
powerful and will probably pull all the rolling stock she owns.  Thanks again for all the time spent helping me
with this question.  I'm really a Lionel guy, and I needed a guide while wandering into Williams territory.
Red1970

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The standard Williams/WBB bayonet base (replacement) bulb is the  #53.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

richg

You might also consider using the Williams forum but this thread might be switched to that forum.

Rich

3rail

Red,

The first versions of this locomotive in 1999-2002 came with an electronic buzzer type horn. There was no bell sound until True Blast II.

Regards,

3rail

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Interesting reading on the twelve EL-C electrics that GE sold to the Virginian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGN_EL-C

These 12 were the only ones made, and were subsequently sold to other roads and repainted, but not to the PRR or GN (fantasy liveries).   

The PRR purchased a different loco, designated E44.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRR_E44

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Red1970

Dear Friends,

Williams train people are a friendly and helpful bunch!  Thank you.  Note that the photo of the Conrail rectifier below is a 4608.  My guess the 4608 is an improved model, probably with bell.  The one I have is a 4606. 

I have no problem with this topic being switched to "Williams by Bachmann."  However, it's obvious that this particular locomotive was made by Williams when it was an independent company.

Anyway, I think we've taken this as far as it can go, so I'm going to say
thank you again, and "over and out."  Red1970.