News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Do I have a bad E-unit?

Started by Johnson Bar Jeff, March 26, 2012, 09:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

J. B. Jeff,

Sorry to say but I think you have a bad reverse board. From what you are claiming the new engine does, even with the WBB transformer, it is not doing correctly from when you recieved the engine.
See if Bachmann will let you send it in for repair under warrenty, because I feel it is a problem you can not fix but Bachmann can fix.

I would be a bit dis-appointed as well if something that I bought new didn't work properly from when I first bought it.

Lee F.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: phillyreading on May 01, 2012, 07:40:12 AM
J. B. Jeff,

Sorry to say but I think you have a bad reverse board. From what you are claiming the new engine does, even with the WBB transformer, it is not doing correctly from you recieved the engine.
See if Bachmann will let you send it in for repair under warrenty, because I feel it is a problem you can not fix but Bachmann can fix.

I would be a bit dis-appointed as well if something that I bought new didn't work properly from when I first bought it.

Lee F.

Thanks, Lee. As someone who is only casually into O gauge, I appreciate having confirmation of my suspicions from someone with more experience.

Since I posted yesterday I looked back through my e-mails, and I discovered that I had one from Customer Service with instructions on sending in the engine, so I may just go ahead and do that without bothering the folks at Bachmann with another phone call. I have already made a photocopy of my receipt from the seller dated March 21.

J.B.J.

Ron Sims

I too think there may be a board problem or loose wire. For most Williams engines, there is a wire running up both sides of the motor and over into the motor as it passes under the flywheel. Because the flywheel is sometimes pushed down too far it can rub through one, or both of the wires and short out the motor causing the symptoms you describe. Be sure to look there. Williams engine generally run excellent without problems right out of the box. But keep in mind that they are built in the same factories in China and others are having problems with their models too because there is NO quality control there. Lionel has has many problems lately.
Ron

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Ron Sims on May 01, 2012, 08:10:11 PM
I too think there may be a board problem or loose wire. For most Williams engines, there is a wire running up both sides of the motor and over into the motor as it passes under the flywheel. Because the flywheel is sometimes pushed down too far it can rub through one, or both of the wires and short out the motor causing the symptoms you describe. Be sure to look there. Williams engine generally run excellent without problems right out of the box. But keep in mind that they are built in the same factories in China and others are having problems with their models too because there is NO quality control there. Lionel has has many problems lately.
Ron

Thanks for those thoughts, Ron. As a casual and amateur O-gauge railroader at this time I really don't want to get involved in disassembling the engine and tender myself. Since the engine was bought in late March, I plan on sending it to Bachmann, I hope within a week.

J.B.J.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Well, I've now sent the engine to Bachmann Customer Service, so we'll see what happens.  :)

Johnson Bar Jeff

Literally moments ago, I got off the telephone with Customer Service. It seems I do have a "bad order" engine, and the problem has stumped even Bachmann's tech people. They simply cannot figure out what is wrong with my ten-wheeler--though at least I now know it's not because I'm too dumb to operate it.  ;) But whatever it is, it can't be resolved by simply replacing the E-unit.

They will be replacing the engine. Unfortunately, they can't replace it with another AT&SF unit; my choices were U.P. or Southern, so I requested a U.P. engine.

Still, I am grateful to Customer Service for trying--and also for trying so promptly to resolve the problem. And I also very much appreciate the offer to replace the engine.

So that seems to be how this is ending.

TrainmanGene

Couldn't they switch the shells on the new frames? ???
Sueme Valley System

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: TrainmanGene on August 04, 2012, 12:36:02 AM
Couldn't they switch the shells on the new frames? ???

That's a very good question. I wish I'd thought of it when I was talking to Customer Service.

You would think that if they took the engine apart to try to fix the problem, they could have put the shell on the chassis of a new engine. But maybe there is a reason that it wouldn't be that simple.

Too late now for me.  :-\