2-8-0 Consolidation / Digitrax SDH164D Question

Started by napa15, April 10, 2012, 12:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

napa15

I am going to be acquiring a Bachmann 2-8-0 Connie soon (#51311 - DCC/no sound) and am considering going with the Digitrax SDH164D sound decoder option. I know I can purchase this item and an additional harness with 8-pin plug so that it is "plug and play" with the Bachmann board.

I know that the Digitrax decoder is generic and has both steam and diesel sounds. I have a standard Bachmann EZ Command system, and no programming system. My concern is that if I go with this decoder, how do I set it to steam or diesel? I have looked and looked on Digitrax's site for this info but can't find it. Their function type manual and installation manual lists NOTHING at all about sounds.. but everything you ever want to know about lights.

Anyway, just thought I might get some insight here. I know I should probably just go with the Tsunami TSU-1000 Medium Steam, but I'm trying to go with a more economical approach with this engine.. so I can justify another purchase.  ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

**EDIT** Upon further inspection I have found that this decoder seems to come set to factory default to operate with the steam sounds. My question still stands, if I were to want to change the sound scheme to diesel, would this be possible without some form of programming system? If not, what would I need to get (and I'm sure that is a broad question).

bapguy

The digitrax decoder is a lot less than the soundtraxx one, but it has/ had some problems: low sound levels, slowing the loco down when the horn/whistle is blown. To program any cv's you need a more advanced DCC system than the basic EZ Command. I have one of these in a Connie and am saving up to buy a soundtraxx. Joe

napa15

Appreciate your insight. I currently have a TSU-1000 Heavy Steam in a Berk and love it. Bottom line is.. DON'T BE CHEAP!  ;D

I just wish the things weren't $100+, and the cost of a speaker.  :-\

bapguy

I bought soundtraxx decoders in the past from Acculites(accu_lites.com). They have discount prices and good service. On programming decoders, post the town or city you live and ask for help from some one close by. I use a digitrax dcc system and bought their PR3 programmer. This can be hooked up to a computer with decoder pro down loaded to it and be used to program decoders. This would be a good way to program decoders with out buying a new system. Joe

bapguy

One more thing if you decide on the digitrax decoder,the sdn144ps I think that's the decoder #, has the 8 pin harness attached to it. It's listed for n guage but will work in ho. Same sound scemes as the sdh165d.

napa15

Again, I appreciate the input. Joe, I appreciate the Accu-lites website link. I decided not to purchase a decoder from them this time, because my local hobby shop has one in stock - the SDH 164D. I did, however, but 2 harnesses for the decoder from them though with the 8-pin connector so I can just "plug and play", instead of having to do any manual wiring.

I decided to give the cheaper decoder a try this go around, especially since it's as easy as "plug and play". Worst case is I don't like it and I decide to order a Tsunami,  ;)

Also, I have two Bachmann Diesel DCC equipped engines I bought for my son's birthday (which he will get on his birthday in June), that I will put sound decoders in as well.. and maybe this decoder will be good for that application.

Looking forward to getting my 2-8-0 in though. Thought it was gonna be in the mail today, but maybe Monday.  :-\