News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why don't the headlights work?

Started by henninck, April 13, 2012, 04:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henninck

Hi,

I recently purchased a Baldwin 2-6-6-2, and equipped it with a DCC decoder by Uhlenbrock, Type 77500. I used the supplied connector and connected everything like suggested.
Everything worked nicely, but the lights didn't react. No light, no firebox, regardless of the switch positions. The decoder settings are correct.
What can be wrong here?
If I want to connect the lights directly to the decoder, are the resistors for the LEDs on the mainboard, or can I connect the LEDS without additional resistors?

Thanks from Germany for your kind help.

Jan

Udo

Hi Hennink!
Send me a message with your E-mail.
I also have a 2-6-6-2. I don't know the Uhlenbrock decoder.
I used an ESU Loksound XL, connected with the adaptor plug to the main board.
It was working.
Best regards,

Udo from China

NarrowMinded

When you say connector do you mean plug in or hard wired? many people have hard wired in decoders only to find the led's don't light up.
In most cases it is because the polarity is backwards to the led. the Blue wire on a standard harness is "common" for the lights but is also +POS not -NEG as most people assume Common to be. if this is the problem you simply need to switch the LED connections around.

NM-JEff

henninck

Hi Jeff,

I used the connector, provided with the board, connected everything like suggested,
the engine control worked, but the lights didn't...
Have to check the wiring diagram, but I think, I will hard-wire the components, which don't work.
Thanks for your help anyway

cheers

Jan

NarrowMinded

Since you used the plug in decoder harness the resistors for the LED's would still be on the board that the decoder plugged into.

Your decoder CV values for the lights may already be set for LED's so the voltage would be too low going through the resistors, check your decoder instructions and set the values a little higher at a time until your lights come on.

NM-JEff

henninck

Problem solved, I had a mistake in the wiring, so no Decoder + was provided.

Thanks for your help

Jan