What is the best way to Light my buildings?

Started by robertalan51, April 18, 2012, 07:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertalan51

Hi Guys!I'm in the process of attempting to light my buildings. I was wondering what some of you guys did to light yours. I am starting with a malibu 12V transformer. Is that the best way to start getting things going? How many buildings can be lit using one of these?
Any and all ideas and info will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance.  Rob

Kevin Strong

You can light as many buildings as you have lights that the particular system you choose will support. If it's rated at (pulling numbers out of thin air) 100 watts, and you've got 10 buildings, then you can put 1 10-watt bulb in each building, or 2 5-watt bulbs, etc. Many systems today use LEDs, which draw a lot less current, so you can really have fun placing LEDs inside signals, wall lamps, etc. It all depends on how much power your particular lighting system puts out.

I use the solar-powered landscaping lamps for my buildings. I wrote this up in GR a few months ago as part of my Garden Railway Basics series on LED lights. (I think Feb '12 issue covered what I did.)

Later,

K

NarrowMinded

The solar Powered Lights Kevin mentions are a great choice, if your handy with a soldering pencil you can add extention wires to place the led's where you like and or change the leds to different colors like orange/yellow. I like to take the self flickering L.E.D's from cheap tealights  and put them inside buildings, it gives a flickering fire place effect, you can put one inside a chimney as well to make it look like a fire is going.

I have run up to 3 leds and had them stay lit until well after I have gone to bed.

If you need more power for more lights but you like the solar idea just buy an inexpensive car battery and a solar battery tender you can light a truck load of led's and some incandescents  and the battery will recharge during the day.

NM-Jeff

glennk28

one suggestion--I also used the Malibu system--amaller lamps are available---but bsfore you "close up the box" kn structures, give the interior a couiple of coats of black paint followed by a coat of silvwer to help contain tghe light.  also use black silicone caulk to seal the corners.

Loco Bill Canelos

The Cheap tea lights mentioned by Jeff are also great when removed from the plastic flame and case for campfires. or to simulate building on fire. I drilled holes in a cheap building press fitted the tealight led's into the holes added some batting spray painted with black paint over the holes.. It get lots of raves.

bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

robertalan51

Thanks Guys for all your ideas.  I am going to be able to use a lot of 'em. Thanks again. Rob       ps,  I'll let you know how sucessful I am.

Sleeping Bear

I used the flickering tea lights to put fire in the stoves of some passenger cars as well as a lantern held by a brakeman....Later all....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"