New Bachmann Williams PRR S2 Turbine 6200 green won't move forward!

Started by 6200, April 20, 2012, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently Purchased a S2 from wholesale trains and It ran fine for 2 days, then there where problems. It derailed, and now it wont move at all. I know its not the transformer because it ran fine with it. Im running it on MTH realtrax and a MTH RC controller. I spent 200 dollars for less than 6 hours of running time. could someone please help me?

phillyreading

Run the engine with jumper wires straight from the transformer, see if the engine works or not. Have read about many complaints with the new Williams items and not sure but there might be a batch of bad circuit boards from China.

Lee F.

Hi 6200,
           671 here. The 6200 is the same loco as the 671 which I own. My advise is to remove the boiler shell from the chassis ( three screws, 1 short under the front truck and 2 long screws under the rear truck ) lay the loco on its' side, then  lift the boiler off carefully. The smokunit and head lamp wires up front are hot glued to the inside of the boiler not allowing for much freedom of movement.
            To remove the electrical plugs for the lamp and smoker from the board, tiny tabs locking the the plugs into the socket must be released. I do this by wedging tooth picks between the plug and socket  and then remove the plug.
            Now the boiler is completely free from the chassis. Check all connections to and from the main electrical electrical board servicing the can motor. You may find a plug to the motor not fully engage. Test loco chassis and see if it now runs. If not, try moving the motor plug from the socket that it is in. to the unoccupied second motor socket. The electronic E-unit is designed to handle two motors. You may have a defective relay on the currently used side of the board.

Hope this helps...671

671 again. One other thought, try turning the flywheel on the motor by hand. Check for any binding or rough operation. The can drive motor could be loose. You need to remove the shell to check mounting screws. Proper gear meshing will not occur with loose mounting screws.

Hope this helps...671

Hi 6200,

Just wondering about the outcome with your new 6200, S2. Did you solve the problem? If so, what was it? Electrical, mechanical?

Sadly, it still wont work. I think its the motor that is the problem.

phillyreading

Have you tried using the engine on another track without the MTH remote control?
Sometimes remote control units behave badly or are very finicky to say the least.

If you are using MTH's DCS command control, you may have to go to track power, choose track 1 or track 2, then try turning up the voltage on the handheld remote control. Do not go above 14 volts on track voltage or you may get a mini rocket sled on rails, if the engine works.
Just a little info, my SD-45's run at about 11.5 volts, and my GP-9 runs at about 9 volts under the track voltage feature.

Lee F.