Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Cool!  Thank you for the info.
Keep Calm and Carry On

trainmainbrian

Thanks jbrock.... I am glad you liked my layout.. It's 2 - 1/2 years in the making I hope to have all the scenery done by May - June. On average I spend about 2-3 hours on weekdays "after work" working on layout & Weekends I put in any where from 5-10 hours of time "even longer sometimes" into layout I enjoy it very much & every day I look forward to when I am done.. But now I have been having thoughts of extending my layout another 7 feet this way I will have the hole back wall of the basement.. I only stopped short on account of workbench I hardly use... LOL
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jbrock27

You're welcome.
I believe it.  The work, shows the time put in.  It never seems to be near an end, does it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

trainbrain,

Very nice start. Can't wait to see more as you progress.
What is the size of your layout, looks like a decent size.
You are the first I have seen to use air controlled turnouts. Heard and read about them but no one around here uses them.

Jerry

trainmainbrian

Thank you Jerry.. I have posted a few more pictures on my photo library... Of the Air switches I installed 4 of them tonight on my layout if you would like to check them out... Jerry my Layout is 16 feet long x 6 feet wide / 52 inches high / 9 track Yard switching area / 2 track mainline / 3 track interchange / 1 tunnel portal track " It dead End's & I can store about 25 freight car's on the track" I park my Bachman Acela Passenger Train on that track now lol... I put a lot of time and effort into my Layout I am very proud of it & how far I have come with my layout in 2 1/2 years.....

& I wanted to be different & use Air Switches I could of went with Electric switches but my Grandfather used Air on his layout in his basement witch was 40 feet long  x 10 feet wide "he used all 4 walls of his basement for his layout" & the Air switch system was handed down to me...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on February 17, 2014, 07:09:53 PM
trainbrain,

Jerry-

I think he's trainbrian, not trainbrain.

-- D

Jerrys HO

QuoteI think he's trainbrian, not trainbrain.

-- D

Really D? after all the silly names you call people.
If it really bothered him I think he would have let me know.

Did you check out the layout or just decided to comment on my dyslexia.

Jerry

trainmainbrian

Hi everyone... I added a few more pictures to my photo book.. There pictures of my Air Switches & how there installed under my layout. If anyone is interested in how much different they are compared to there electric counterparts...  

Jerrys HO

trainmainbrIAn,

Out of curiosity, is there a check valve that holds the switch in position?
I've heard of this system before just never actually see someone using it.
I think your setup is really cool, thanks for sharing it.

Jerry

trainmainbrian

Thanks Jerry..... & Yes the Air System is very cool I actually NEVER thought Air Switches existed until my Grandfather came over 1 day & asked me what type of switch motors I was going to use " I org told him Tortoise Slow Motion Switch Machine's " & he said NAA I got the system for you I'll be back in a Hour " & brought over his Air Switch System complete with his Air compressor.. I was in shock I said to my Grandfather I did not know they made such a thing. He Said he used the same exact system on his Layout & handed it down to me.. He said back in his Layout building days this Air System was Expensive & not everyone used it Due to Cost & its complexity of the system itself or just did not have the desire ... I said " SO I am Told LOL "........

But any Jerry The Air Switches have NO check Valves how the Systems works is

The Air Compressor has about 47 pounds of PSI in the main Tank... It kicks in when the pressure drops to round 28-29 PSI..

When I throw a Switch it send's Air through the line to the actual motor & is about 1 -1/2 PSI FYI some of the Switches need about 2-1/2 PSI depending how far away the air line is from switch & compressor My Yard switches need 3 PSI "cause there the most distance away" to the motor under the layout "This is in the Energized Mode"

The Actual Switch Motor has a Spring inside the motor with a little rubber "Gasket" inside & when the Air hits the Gasket you hear a little burst of Air purge & the Switch Throws in whatever Direction "the switch motor is now energized with Air"...

When No Air supplied to Switch or Motor the Spring & rubber gasket "Relax" cause there is NO AIR against the spring or Gasket & the Switch will automatically spring back to "straight through" position & will Throw back to Switch track or siding when Air is supplied back to motor..

I can throw Multi switches @ a time too Pretty much as long As I have the PSI in the Main Tank to the amount of switches I want to throw @ that time.

Main Tank PSI can be raised to a MAX 80 PSI depending on need's of switches being used & total size of layout But for now with the amount of switches I have on my layout 47-55 PSI is working very well for me...

In a nut shell that's pretty much how the Air system works Jerry...

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on February 19, 2014, 03:07:06 AM
QuoteI think he's trainbrian, not trainbrain.

-- D

Really D? after all the silly names you call people.
If it really bothered him I think he would have let me know.

Did you check out the layout or just decided to comment on my dyslexia.

Jerry

Jerry-

I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just trying to add a little joke, apparently unsuccessfully.

-- D

Jerrys HO

QuoteI'm sorry if I offended you. I was just trying to add a little joke, apparently unsuccessfully.

-- D

D,

No offense taken, but if that was a joke I have heard better ones come from your fingers than that.
Seriously though I have mild dyslexia when I tend to think,talk, and type at a real fast pace. Good thing I don't have it bad, would hate to see what I could have said ;D.

Jerry

trainmainbrian

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/maintrackbrian/library/?sort=3&page=1

Hi everyone I have some new photos in my photo library if anyone is interested.... FEATURED is my Bachmann Acela Passenger Train on my layout...

Jerrys HO

TMB

The access hole looks close enough to the edge that you could reach it from the top instead of crawling under. But if it's easier for you to go under you must be a young lad ;D.

Jerry

trainmainbrian

Quote from: Jerrys HO on February 22, 2014, 06:04:23 AM
TMB

The access hole looks close enough to the edge that you could reach it from the top instead of crawling under. But if it's easier for you to go under you must be a young lad ;D.

Jerry
Actually Jerry I built in the access port "when I was in the construction faze of layout " because it's a very long reach from inside the layout & I figured if there's and issue with Rolling stock or to do track cleaning or repair's or switch scenery layout & if someone watching wanted to look @ layout from that port to see the switching action of the Mine they can. The port is actually bigger than it looks I built it " in mind " so a average Adult can stand @ the port with ease. & I am 38yrs old So I am not that too young of a LAD.... LOL LOL LOL