News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

AC-

I'm impressed, but where do you find the time?

-- D

rogertra

Regression on the Great Eastern, not progression.

This : -

Was this: -

Unfortunately, due to an error when measuring, I didn't leave enough room for the coaling tower and ash pit on the turntable leads.  I therefore need to move the turntable and roundhouse back.  As the power supply to my Walthers 90 foot "Built-ups" 'table has died (proprietary chip has fried) and I'm waiting for Wathers to approve sending it back, it is easier to scrap the original TT and roundhouse module and build another.  Hopefully, I'll hear from Walthers soon as I emailed them last Wednesday.

rogertra

Quote from: CJCrescent on January 12, 2013, 06:28:13 PM
Rather than post a ton of pictures that may be slow loading for some folks who may still be on dial-up, just click the Alabama Central Railway in my signature. It will take you to my Railroad's Website.

Very impressive.  You have to keep us updated.

Jerrys HO

Roger
Sorry to here about your regression but it looks as if you have it under control.
I like the idea of that whole drop in set up. I did my turntable that way but never thought of doing a whole scene drop in.
Hope you hear something on your tt soon while it's apart.

Jerry

napa15

Carey,

I'm in Birmingham (technically, Hueytown) and am well aware of The Wrecking Crew and the work the club does. My family and I come out to see the exhibits at The McWayne Center every Christmas. You guys are truly gifted. Didn't you guys used to put on a train show over at the Bessemer Civic Center once or twice a year also, quite a few years ago? I know I remember going out there to some, but can't remember who put it on. I'm not a member of a club. I've considered it.

jward

balrog,

looking good. i noticed you used the 18r switches extensively. i also notice you took pains to eliminate the s curves in your yard and industrial areas. how are the 18r switches performing when you back trains through them?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Balrog21

yeppers! I took your advice and they are doing great! NO hang up so far, but...I recently sold some, well ok alot of old other hobby stuff and thinking about expanding the layout..i figure now is the time before I get in too deep and then it will be a real mess to add on or rebuild....
think of having the U shape with the 5x8's on the outsides and another 5x8 on the bottom on the baseline.....hmmmm more ideas....more track..more scenery to do! Thinking hard about it...any suggestions please shoot them my way!
Thanks for watching the vids! Much appreciated!

Balrog21

here is a very rought layout plan that I was talking about. =)

So the back total width from end to end will be 18' with the left and rights that make up the U's being 8' and the with of the back horizontal being 5' deep. Didn't know if the pic showed the measurements or not.

I also want to keep the double track throughout with a possible third separate line if possible and it makes sense.
B

jward

sounds like a plan. if you do go for the double main throughout, youi may want to have a set of crossobers for the yard, city & industrial areas. not only will these allow access from either main to these areas, it will also allow you some flexibility in running your trains. hope the m,ountain area will still be a part of the layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Balrog21

hehe, yep a major plan! yeah, I thought of that I already have two crossovers, so you think i will need 4 more? Also, for the yard I will be getting these to add in.

yeppers the mountain and tunnel will stay. =)

Jerrys HO

Bal

Are you talking about dismantling everything are just adding on to what you have?
From what it looks like it would be fairly easy to add the two sides to what you have put all that time into.
I am going to have to go with Jeff's hint(in case you did not catch it) because he gave me the same advise a couple of years ago. Some rolling stock like those big tankers you are talking about may have trouble on those 18r turnout's. I pretty much changed all my standard turnout's into numbered turnout's per his advice and do not regret the decision. My main line uses #6's to cross over to inner loop and I have  #6's entering my yard with #5's leading to my tt. #4's make up my yard as they line up perfectly for a yard.
I don't see a need for more crossover's as long as you place the two you have in the right places. If you want more it should not be hard to add in.

I will try to reply to your PM later tonight.

Jerry

Balrog21

yeah take it apart..the good thing is that nothing is tacked down yet so it won't be that hard to take down. I haven't had any problems with the turnouts yet, I'm figuring though I will have to go to some snap track in the transition or flex as well. Looking forward to the PM..we need more pics of your layout...and lol, I've changed the industry area again on my existing layout due to forseeing future potential snags and eliminating them before they even begin to get started.

jward

balrog,

yes i am suggesting that only 2 crossovers are not enough. you can't let a fast train pass a slower one with only the two you have. having more than just the two allows you to perform some tricky big time traqin dispatching moves.

my grandfather's layout was similar in square footage to what you have planned. he had 4 sets of crossovers on a railroad with a 2 or 3 track main, and we were able to have up to 12 trains at a time out on the line at a time, and still be able to run trains. note that this was before dcc, and we were doing it with 3 throttles and block control (18 blocks total)....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Loco Bill Canelos

My son and I had fun on his layout over Christmas.  Check out this video of his long freight with mid train helpers comming  downgrade in full dynamic brakes on his layout in Denver!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkz9PRJ7Q0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jerrys HO

Bill

That was awesome!!!  I actually felt like I was waiting on a real train then realized I was sitting at my computer.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Jerry