News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on January 21, 2013, 01:26:40 PM
My son and I had fun on his layout over Christmas.  Check out this video of his long freight with mid train helpers comming  downgrade in full dynamic brakes on his layout in Denver!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkz9PRJ7Q0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Excellent job.

One question.  Do trains this length usually run on this layout or was this train specially arranged for the video?

Loco Bill Canelos

WE usually run 20 to 25 cars, and this train would normally be two trains with the second half having a few more cars.  The lengths are limited by the smallest of his four passing tracks.  He also has the complete 13 car California Zephyr.

This is his coal unit train;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfSTkjQZmD8

You can see some his other vids of plowing real snow and the Zephyr from the dome car.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jonathan

Simply pure joy to watch, Loco Bill.

Thanks for sharing that impressive train.

This is what I hoped would be the case for this forum:  a chance for modelers to share their projects and learn from each other.  This thread is fun to follow.

Let's keep sharing.  Great stuff!

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on January 22, 2013, 04:15:23 AM
WE usually run 20 to 25 cars, and this train would normally be two trains with the second half having a few more cars.  The lengths are limited by the smallest of his four passing tracks.  He also has the complete 13 car California Zephyr.

This is his coal unit train;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfSTkjQZmD8

You can see some his other vids of plowing real snow and the Zephyr from the dome car.

Very impressive.  :-)

Tom Lapointe

OK, here's some video of my layout.... :)

http://youtu.be/dscAE-32Kuc 

Initially, this was shot as "practice footage" for getting used to my new "broadcast-grade"  8) camcorder I bought last spring (somehow I never got around to editing Part 2, though).  ::)

:D  Tom

Loco Bill Canelos

Tom Lookin good!! Some lumber company is going to be real happy with their log haulin dozer!!  Great trains and great load.  The shot of the lantern in the long caboose was a nice touch!!
Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rogertra

Tom.

Looks good but I would have like to have seen some more wide or establishing shots.  To get the big picture and show the rolling stock in context?

Perhaps next time, pretty please as I'd like to see more?

Ken G Price

Very impressive indeed every one. :)
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

rogertra

Quote from: rogertra on January 13, 2013, 08:40:07 PM
Regression on the Great Eastern, not progression.

This : -

Was this: -

Unfortunately, due to an error when measuring, I didn't leave enough room for the coaling tower and ash pit on the turntable leads.  I therefore need to move the turntable and roundhouse back.  As the power supply to my Walthers 90 foot "Built-Ups" 'table has died (proprietary chip has fried) and I'm waiting for Wathers to approve sending it back, it is easier to scrap the original TT and roundhouse module and build another.  Hopefully, I'll hear from Walthers soon as I emailed them last Wednesday.

I've finally got most of the revised roundhouse and lead in place. Track not laid into roundhouse or field tracks as the turntable will have to be removed as soon as a replacement arrives.  Sadly, my excellent Walthers 90 foot Build-Ups turntable has died.   The power supply has fried itself and I've had to order the DCC ready new version as the older model was discontinued 3 years ago and my one is way out of warranty.  So, here's were we are at right now: -

And another view: -

CJCrescent

Quote from: napa15 on January 14, 2013, 03:42:16 PM
Carey,

I'm in Birmingham (technically, Hueytown) and am well aware of The Wrecking Crew and the work the club does. My family and I come out to see the exhibits at The McWayne Center every Christmas. You guys are truly gifted. Didn't you guys used to put on a train show over at the Bessemer Civic Center once or twice a year also, quite a few years ago? I know I remember going out there to some, but can't remember who put it on. I'm not a member of a club. I've considered it.

Yes we, along with the Steel City Division of the NMRA put those on. Been hoping that we'll be putting on more.

What part of Hueytown do you live in? I'm in Hoover. I have a friend who lives there, and he's N-scale. We're building his layout now, from a design of mine.

Edit; Napa, I have sent you a PM.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

CJCrescent

Quote from: Doneldon on January 12, 2013, 11:03:50 PM
AC-

I'm impressed, but where do you find the time?

-- D

I'm retired. I can work on it when I feel the need.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

jonathan

I became so enamoured by my recent addition of an arch bridge that I installed another for twice the fun:

The passenger cars are Bachmann Heavyweights--out of production. 

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Ooh, ooh, passenger power, from the number a P-5 (USRA light 4-6-2, B&O had 30 or so, I think).  Where'd you find that, Jonathan?

jonathan

Good catch, J3a. One of the few steamers I own that's not a Bachmann. It was a USRA Pacific. I have been tweaking it...  Needs a few more changes.

Regards,

Jonathan

Balrog21

very nice vids all, and nice steamer, Jonathan!
Well, I've been a little busy, but a good busy...layout is expanding and here is the history I worked up for it and some other stuff to go along with it. Yeppers, all turnouts are 4, 5, and 6's!

Shaleford Rail – Line Terminal and Yard - A Brief History
   William 'Hank' Stark, a self-made millionaire in the oil, land, and stock market saw another opportunity to enhance his wealth in 1998. A lover of mountains, Hank got a board of investors together and ventured into the railroad industry in one of the most unlikely of places. Seeing a need for the lower area of Colorado, Hank aggressively sought the best deals and bartered to keep the long history of the American railroads alive. He bought the town of Shaleford, Colorado and then began work on laying the rails that would serve his new railroad and repair facilities. During this time Hank also met with several of the CEO's and Presidents of the long time rail industries and made some truly amazing deals; one in particular was with the Illinois Central line before the eventual buyout from Canadian National. During Hank's early years his favorite place to spend the summer was in the Deep South in Mississippi with his Uncle, Mark Stillwater, a life-long railroad worker. Many days, both mornings and evenings Hank spent down at the Illinois Central Gulf repair yards in McComb, MS. This time spent love never died, and even after Hank's uncle has passed his love for trains never stopped. Hanks's big negotiating factor enabled the Shaleford line to offer a very unique twist. This twist won the hearts of many CEO's and Presidents of old rail lines. His bargaining chip allowed those engines, and rolling stock bought to keep the original company and small road names on both its rolling stock and engines and to be brought back up to full operating capacity along with a fully restored paint job on everything that Shaleford Rail purchased.
   In 2000 Shaleford Rail was officially born and their first freight manifest headed North to meet with the Union Pacific line in northern Colorado. News spread fast and the many of Hank's investor's owned other business's as well and seeing the potential in his new found venture many of Hank's investors expanded their operations and opened up new facilities in the tall peaks of Shaleford, Colorado to add to their profitable businesses
   Within three years the line and repair facilities flourished beyond Hank's meager expectations.  A new diesel repair shop was built and a transfer table was installed to cut expenses and the demand for in route diesel repairs. The car shops were Hank's big money maker but soon the word spread about the well repaired and restored diesel engines his shops produced. 2005 showed another increase in revenue and expansion. A turntable and round house was also installed along with a multi-million dollar deal with General Electric.
   A plastics plant and cement factory became part of Shaleford's fold along with a refurbished shale rock supply plant. In 2014 Shaleford Rail will see its first true new engine. In partnership with General Electric, Shaleford Rail will receive a General Electric AC6000, and what makes this new engine truly unique is that it will be the only engine in its small fleet to sport its own Shaleford Rail Logo.
   Nestled in the southwest corner of Colorado, Shaleford is set in an open box canyon, and boasted a mere 850 residents in 1998. With Shaleford Rail now calling Shaleford home the small town's population grew to over 2,500 by 2012, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. Although the city is growing many people commute to Shaleford from other small towns such as Telluride and Mist Valley.
   2010 also saw the introduction of Shaleford's own train museum with a 2-8-4 Berkshire Steam locomotive and caboose on static display. Another great hot spot in Shaleford is the Shaleford Rail Diner. This multi-purpose diner sits on the northwest end of the town and incorporates an old style passenger car and a modern Amtrack passenger car as its main eating facilities. The diner is open 24 hours a day with the Amtrak car remaining open and the old passenger car closing at 9PM. Blending the old style railroad with the new this diner is loved by all who work, live, and visit the now bustling town of Shaleford, Colorado.
   Shaleford Rail, the vision of William Stark has met with great success. The Shaleford Rail line merges the West's Union Pacific line and Southwest Sante Fe lines, thus cutting costs in shipping and delivery time of much of western part of the countries needs. It's roster of engines is constantly growing along with its rolling stock. Many of the town's residents wait anxiously and wonder what has Hank's got up his sleeve next for the town.

Anywho, I'm having fun, and designing the Shaleford logo was a bit of extra fun as well!
The curves are 26" and 22", tables are 5'x8' with a total of 4. Layout done with Anyrail.

Bal