News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Show us your layout

Started by Jerrys HO, April 23, 2012, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Jward,  

Indeed I am working on the side train order board at the moment.  It's a bit tricky to build from dowels, paper, and basswood strips.  This was one of those kits the old-timers joke about at the club:  you get chunks of wood and card stock, and a set of instructions.

I couldn't find a floor design for the upper office, so I guessed.  This signal tower sat in the middle of a doubletrack diamond where the B&O crossed another railroad east of Chicago.  I imagined the operator had to keep an eye on his railroad and what the other guys were up to.  Honestly, after a while, I got so worn out from the little details, like building that coat tree kit, I no longer cared how the office was arranged. All the interior parts are old white metal kits, I gathered over time, thinking I would do something with them someday.  

Doneldon,

Thanks very much.  I really detailed this one out, because I intend to display this model on our modular display at train shows.  This is also why the lights run off of a battery instead of a bus feed, AND why the roof is not glued on.  I don't normally go all out on interiors.  Just felt like going a little crazy on this one.  I certainly got it out of my system.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

addendum

This is the train order board under construction:

Balrog21

great stuff, guys! I'm envious! Yeah, Anyrail is the bomb! I also love how you can color things in with the grasses and such..I'm doing that with my roads at the moment with mine! GREAT stuff..I will look over this layout and try not to let my jaw drop to the floor! Nice one though!
Bal

PS Man, I wish we could all get together in a room and just shoot the breeze for a couple of days....man could you imagine the stories we could tell!
B

rbryce1

Due to some suggestions from another forum, I revised the lower level in several areas, mostly to provide better siding access and return.  Here are the layout plans.

Upper Level Plan

Lower Level Plan

Morgun 30

Jerrys HO

jonathan

AWESOME as usual. I would like you to show us the little people you have building this stuff. I know my fingers are not big but that must be very tedious to fool with. You my friend are my hero when it comes to modeling skills. I check your photo's on occasions just to get inspired or see any new projects you are working on.

rbryce

Great piece of work there. I know you probably said but what is the layout size. Is your grid blocks 1 sq.ft.. My layout is close to yours but with less sidings.

Jerry

rbryce1

Quote from: Jerrys HO on March 03, 2013, 10:22:14 AM
rbryce

Great piece of work there. I know you probably said but what is the layout size. Is your grid blocks 1 sq.ft.. My layout is close to yours but with less sidings.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you for the compliment.

My grid sizes are 6" dark squares and the smaller lighter ones are 2" squares.  I also changed the layout again to add an oil field, a refinery, a Gas/Diesel Loading Facility for tank cars and a small spur for the facilities 70 Ton diesel (I didn't attach another photo, just updated the photo above).  I tried to load the .any file for those who have the Anyrail software, but since it is over 128 Kb, this forum will not load it.  Seems like a small limit, much smaller that most other forums.  The actual JPEG's are 220 KB, and it won't attach them either.  I guess with the number of members on this forum, it could get to be a lot of storage space.  Oh well, at least it loads the file if it is on Photobucket.

Jerrys HO

I figured they were set smaller than a sq.ft.. if not that was one heck of a layout.
I questioned it because it looks like we have close to the same layout configuration and I really like how you laid things out.

Jerry

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: rogertra on March 05, 2013, 02:14:02 PM
An unplanned, spur of moment panorama video of the still building GER.  Sorry for the quality and the tools etc., seen in the video as I said, it was spur of the moment.  :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17855079/Great%20Eastern%20-%20Mar.%2004-13.MOV
Link does not work roger

jonathan

The link works.  Right click and "open in a new tab".

Great progress. Roger.  Starting to look like a real place.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

An unplanned, spur of moment panorama video of the still building GER.  Sorry for the quality and the tools and the derailed retired 2-8-0 by the enginehouse  etc. seen in the video as I said, it was spur of the moment video, the first one I've ever made.  

I deleted the previous post as people were having problems viewing the Dropbox site.

Here's an easier link: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf5uj8uSiVM&feature=youtu.be

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on March 05, 2013, 04:39:02 PM
The link works.  Right click and "open in a new tab".

Great progress. Roger.  Starting to look like a real place.

Regards,

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan.

As people were having issues with Dropbox link, I deleted that post and replaced it with a YouTube link.

WoundedBear

Balrog21

nice one Roger! Looking great! I will be posting a vid soon, a little teaser of the Railroad Musuem here in our home town, and then some big surprises for the layout vid....or at least I'm hoping it is anyway. =)
B

Balrog21

news...hehe...Shaleford Rail is expendanding again! Pic coming soon!  ;D

bfelix

I updated some of my layout over the weekend. I added the styrofoam base, carved out a river and put in two bridges if anyone is interested in checking it out. I only have videos of my progress not pictures. the last video I posted last night shows the river and how I did.
http://www.youtube.com/user/noahsgamewalkthrus?feature=mhee

My Ez-Track 4 x 8 HO Layout
http://youtu.be/VuXigR_QGVk