News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Synchronising chuff rate, (SDH164D)

Started by bogey, April 24, 2012, 03:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogey

Hi out there,

I have installed my first SDH164D sound decoder in my "Connie".
I am struggling to synchronize the chuff rate. The factory setting is way out of sync.
Anyone had experience with setting this particular decoder?
The manual talks of adjusting CV 133 and 134 according to wheel diameter. Would be great if I could get hold of settings?

Help!

bapguy

Model Railroader did a review of this decoder in the Sept.2010 issue I think. The review talked about the chuff rate as I recall. If you have back issues look in this one. One of the cv's you list has to do with the type of loco: Shay, Climax etc. This needs to be set to the 1 to 1 setting for a normal type. The other one is detemined by wheel diameter and I can't remember the formula. Try the Digitrax web site. The have a FAQ section that might have some thing listed. Joe

richg

All I found so far was from Tony's Trains on this decoder. They said in so many words, a trying time, try this, try that.
I had to modify a Tsunami 750 for a Climax and had to do a lot of fine tuning. In my case, the loco sounds like it is going very fast when only moving about 10 mph the logging locos are geared down a lot.

Rich

Doneldon

bogey and rich-

One of the reasons that geared locos could put so much force on the rails is their cylinders "fired" much more often for the distance traveled compared to rod engines. I believe they still did four chuffs per revolution of a driver, but their drivers were so small that they needed three to six driver revolutions to go the same distance as a rod loco would go on one revolution, depending on which two locos were being compared.
                                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

bogey

thanks for advice. Will look and see.

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on April 24, 2012, 11:41:57 PM
bogey and rich-

One of the reasons that geared locos could put so much force on the rails is their cylinders "fired" much more often for the distance traveled compared to rod engines. I believe they still did four chuffs per revolution of a driver, but their drivers were so small that they needed three to six driver revolutions to go the same distance as a rod loco would go on one revolution, depending on which two locos were being compared.
                                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

You ought to see and hear the four cylinders on the Mt Washington Cog Railroad steamers Those really work. I have been close to the loco as it went by me.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: richg on April 25, 2012, 08:23:10 AMYou ought to see and hear the four cylinders on the Mt Washington Cog Railroad steamers Those really work. I have been close to the loco as it went by me.

Rich

Yes, I know. I've seen the Mt Wash railway although I haven't ridden it. The cog railway on Pike's Peak is the same. Those locos are ascending 15% grades and they really need to work to move their trains. They chuff as many times per minute as a passenger train at 70 mph even though they are only traveling 10 or 12 mph. It makes them fun to watch and listen to. Throw in all of the clanking, squeaking and creaking of the cog wheel on the cogway and it's a real cacaphony. But in a good way.
                                                             -- D