News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Confusing documentation.

Started by WoundedBear, April 25, 2012, 05:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

I need a little clarification from Bachmann on this one please. I recently purchased an HO 3 truck Climax with sound (Item #82926 http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3497)

Which CV list from the Soundtraxx site is applicable to this locomotive?

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_70ton_3truck_climax.pdf

or this one?

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_3truck_climax.pdf

I guess I need to know what the difference between a "3 truck HO Climax" and a "70 ton 3 truck HO Climax" is. I thought there was only one version of the 3 truck Climax? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance....

Sid

Jerrys HO

Sid

I know nothing about them but this article seemed to clarify it a little.

http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/reviews/cm_extra_bachmann_climax.php

Jerry

WoundedBear

I read that article in the recent magazine Jerry. I do agree with everything the article says..........this is a beautiful runner right out of the box.

But I still wonder why there are two CV sheets on the Soundtraxx site for a 3 truck Climax.

Sid

richg

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 25, 2012, 06:13:38 PM
I read that article in the recent magazine Jerry. I do agree with everything the article says..........this is a beautiful runner right out of the box.

But I still wonder why there are two CV sheets on the Soundtraxx site for a 3 truck Climax.

Sid

Email SoundTraxx. There is a link at their site.

Rich

WoundedBear

Quote from: richg on April 25, 2012, 08:51:30 PM

Email SoundTraxx. There is a link at their site.

Rich

Tried that already Rich..........still waiting for a reply.

Sid

blf

Give soundtraxx a call. They are great people to talk to. Bill

WoundedBear

Spoke to Soundtraxx this morning. A fellow named Jarrod helped me out. He says the document marked "HO 70 ton 3 truck Climax" is the correct sheet although he is not sure why some of the CV values are missing. The sheet marked "3 truck HO Climax" he thinks is a misprint/carryover from the On30 documents, and should be ignored.

The "Fireman Fred" sounds don't seem to be listed on the sheet he says to use for the HO 3 truck Climax, although the unit I purchased seems to have these features. CV 116 is set at 165, the default value for the sheet he says is wrong. The CV sheet he says to use has a default of 130 for CV 116. I also don't see any equalizer CV's for the "70 ton" version (CV's 153-164), although these values read back when I place loco on programming track. Soundtraxx cannot explain this.

Short of going through every CV in the decoder, how about some clarification from Bachmann on this subject?

Sid

WoundedBear

Thanks Hunt.......

After picking through the decoder's CV values I am reasonably sure that the "70 ton" sheet is not the relevant one for the version I have. Would publishing a value for CV 7 help in determining which CV sheets to use?.....not only in the instance of the Climax models, but any of Bachmann's sound equipped units? Is there a build date hidden somewhere on Bachmann models?

Sid

WoundedBear

Quote from: Hunt on May 16, 2012, 05:23:37 PM
Click Here for Bachmann HO 70-Ton 3-Truck Climax, Configuration Variable Defaults sheet. This is different than the one you questioned.

Should you not know, you have to use Bachmann's selected CV default and the effect of CV30=4 have on determining a Function Key effect.

Hunt........

Thanks again for your time and assistance. I haven't had a chance to play with CV30.....racing season started again. I did download both of the CV value sheets before Soundtraxx deleted the link for the one labeled "3 truck Climax". Like I said in my previous post, after picking through some of the values, I am certain I am using the correct CV sheet. The loco runs absolutely wonderful. It is even smoother than the 3 truck Shays.

So far I say "Good job, Bachmann".....I only hope the drive train is not as prone to failure as the 2 truck Climax models were.

Sid