Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Beginner looking for the perfect starter set

Started by JandD, April 29, 2012, 11:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JandD

Quote from: vern1959 on April 30, 2012, 11:47:18 AM
Hi JandD!
For $300 I bought the Dynamis starter set ($120) and the Spectrum Cavalier DCC starter set ($180) from modeltrainstuff.com. The Dynamis wireless control has some line-of-sight issues but generally works very well and the Cavalier set is really beautiful (N&W 4-8-4) and the coaches are lit.
Have since added several DCC and sound locos and the Dynamis has handled them all. I am primarily an "O" scale person but the combo I listed above has been a wonderful intro to the world of HO wireless control!
   Have fun,
      Vern

Vern does the Cavalier set have sound or do you have to add it after the fact?

Jerrys HO

J & D

The Sound Commander comes with everything. For 370.00 I think it is better than purchasing the Dynamis which comes in the Sound Commander then buying the Frontiersman set which is DCC no sound, adding a good soundtraxx decoder at least 100.00 plus installation if you don't know how. You still get the Spectrum 2-8-0 loco but with everything there for you. You do the math...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bachmann+sound+commander&_sacat=19128&_odkw=&_osacat=19128

Jerry

also the Cavalier set does not have sound.

JandD

Quote from: Jerrys HO on May 20, 2012, 01:43:18 PM
J & D

The Sound Commander comes with everything. For 370.00 I think it is better than purchasing the Dynamis which comes in the Sound Commander then buying the Frontiersman set which is DCC no sound, adding a good soundtraxx decoder at least 100.00 plus installation if you don't know how. You still get the Spectrum 2-8-0 loco but with everything there for you. You do the math...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bachmann+sound+commander&_sacat=19128&_odkw=&_osacat=19128

Jerry

Jerry and Rich

I have found the Dynamis Sound Commander at a site called Hobbylinc.com  http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?tag0_i=541&cat_s=UAC&p=2 for $317 I am now wondering about the history of the C&O version vs. the New Haven version what are your opions please? You guys have been very helpful and I really do appreciate the help. 

JandD

JandD

If you are wondering about my obsession with sound it is because my wife and I are about to have our first child (a boy) and since he wont be able to touch the set for several years I would still like to make it as interesting as possible for him. My hope is that he will take a liking to model trains and that it will become something we can do as father and son.

Thanks Again,
                                                                                                                                JandD

wildpaws

Quote from: Jerrys HO on May 20, 2012, 01:43:18 PM
J & D

Jerry

It all depends on what loco/train you are really interested in. While you pointed out what may be a better buy and/or easier , I wanted the N&W J611, so the Cavalier set was a better purchase for my wants/needs IMHO. I can then option it out the way I want to. Savings is only one aspect, ease of use yet another, but in the end those make no difference if it is not what you really wanted.
Clyde

vern1959

Hi JandD!
As wildpaws said I wanted the N&W "J" and those beautiful lit passenger cars so that was my choice. I installed a sound decoder in the tender as it was a very easy install but I am used to modifying my O-Scale stuff so I am set up for sound card and speaker installations already. If you want sound out of the box then Jerry makes a good recommendation in the Sound Commander sets and you seem to have found some good deals on them. You are wise to want sound now, my grandchildren love my layouts (they are 3 and 1 1/2 years old) but it is the sound that really rivets their attention and they love to blow the whistle and ring the bell. Whatever your choice I envision years of enjoyment with your little one(s) you won't regret this purchase! ;)
  Vern ;)

Doneldon

JandD-

Define "perfect." I'm pretty sure we all have a different interprettion of this word, especially in regards to model railroad equipment. But I would say your choice is definitely in the running for top choice. The Bachmann 2-8-0 is one of the best steam engines Bachmann, or any of the mass market producers, have produced. You'll get decent couplers with your set and the NS EZTrack is a solid, if pricy, product. There is only one fly in the ointment: You'll get a DCC locomotive without a DCC controller. If you read carefully, you'll see that you will get a power pack, not a DCC controller. That means that you'll need to purchase a DCC system as soon as you acquire another locomotive and the intent to run both locos at the same time on the same tracks.

The price you are paying just about makes up for the lack of a DCC controller, especially if you plan to use the track in the future. The power pack will always be useful as it can power accessories and lights. You can buy a DCC Bachmann Connie, three freight cars and the track on line for less than the set price. If you were to also buy the power pack you'd be at just about a horse apiece.

So ... I suggest that you buy the listed set only if you do NOT have a surplus wall wart or two to use for accessories and layout lights. If you have wall warts (most households have several), buy the loco, cars and track separately and buy a DCC controller instead of a power pack. The Favorite Spot is an online seller you ought to consider. They have a good selection of merchandise and excellent prices. You'll still have to buy a DCC controller, and your package will cost more than the set you are considering, but you'll also have much more potential for expansion.

Look at the Bachmann Dynamis DCC system (I strongly discourage the Bachmann EZ DCC) or an entry-level system from another manufacturer.

Good luck with your trains and welcome to model railroading.
                                                                                           -- D

Jerrys HO

Doneldon,

The Sound Commander has the Dynamis included. I don't know if you realized that.
I suggest this only because for the money he has to invest this is EVERYTHING that I understand J&D is looking for. It is also a step up from the EZ Command controller that I have and use and would also recommend in the Digital Commander set. Both sets unique in there own way.

J&D
I started with the Digital Commander (no regrets) but wish I would have searched longer and found the Sound Commander.

Anyway you roll we will be here to help.

Jerry

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on May 20, 2012, 08:13:47 PM
The Sound Commander has the Dynamis included. I don't know if you realized that.

Jerry-

Yes, I understand that. But the OP had asked about the Frontiersman Train Set as in:

http://www.dunnstoyandhobby.com/Bachmann_01303_TRAIN_SET_FRONTRSMAN_SOU_HO_p/bac01303.htm

So my answer was in regards to that set which has just a DC power pack even though the loco is DCC.
                                                                                                                                                        -- D

Jerrys HO

D,

QuoteYes, I understand that. But the OP had asked about the Frontiersman Train Set

I was just making sure so we don't confuse the OP. In his last couple of post he quotes,
QuoteI have found the Dynamis Sound Commander at a site called Hobbylinc.com  http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?tag0_i=541&cat_s=UAC&p=2 for $317 I am now wondering about the history of the C&O version vs. the New Haven version what are your opions please? You guys have been very helpful and I really do appreciate the help.

I can not answer part of OP's question regarding the history of C&O vs. New Haven but I know most here can. Maybe a search of the I-NET on the two is in order or someone can post a little background on this.

Jerry