Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann On30 4-4-0 Photo

Started by hminky, July 28, 2007, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

Quote from: amdaylight on August 09, 2007, 06:47:56 PM
Chris,

I think that I figured out what the problem is in my mind with the new locomotive, they made the cab too tall. If you look at the photo that you linked to the panels below the windows should be about half as tall as they are. In one photo the man standing on the foot plate between the loco and the tender is almost as tall as the roof of the cab and there is no way that he could have stood up in the cab over the drivers.

Andre :)

PS Now that I have figured out what was bothering me, I know how to fix it. ;D :)  ;D :)

The Bachmann 4-4-0 has the boiler extending thru the cab which means a full height cab is needed so the crew can standup. The ones in the pictures have the back of the boiler extending only a short distance into the cab. You sit in the cab on the running boards with your fit between the frame members. Therefore you don't need as tall a cab.

Harold

amdaylight

Harold,

From what I can see of the photos the fire box does not extend past the rear diver set so the back head of the boiler is to far back in the cab. I guess this is one of those that I will have to buy one and see what I can do to make it look better. I may still cut the cab down to make it look beter.

Andre

PS
Is there a scale that you have not modeled in, I noticed that you are now in S scale. Or do you just switch the trains on the track as your mood changes.
I do admire your modeling skills and keep up the good work. And as to which scale to model in I have modeled in everything from Nn3 to Fn3 and the only one that I don't work in is the Nn3.

hminky

Quote from: amdaylight on August 10, 2007, 12:44:24 PM
Harold,

Is there a scale that you have not modeled in, I noticed that you are now in S scale. Or do you just switch the trains on the track as your mood changes.
I do admire your modeling skills and keep up the good work. And as to which scale to model in I have modeled in everything from Nn3 to Fn3 and the only one that I don't work in is the Nn3.

If you blow up the pictures you can see the boiler in the cab and the micro-mark diagram shows the boiler dotted to the end of the cab. I was hoping it would be useful in S, but it isn't.

I have pretty much modeled in every scale. Back to the "one true scale" S. They finally made me an S scale RTR standard gauge steamer.

SHS's new RTR S scale B&O E-27

Harold

Jim Goodridge

Harold, Regarding your comments " If you blow up the pictures you can see the boiler in the cab and the micro-mark diagram shows the boiler dotted to the end of the cab. I was hoping it would be useful in S, but it isn't.

I have pretty much modeled in every scale. Back to the "one true scale" S. They finally made me an S scale RTR standard gauge steamer."

Is the 2-6-0 useful for converting to S?  How about the Climax? Also any other conversions you know of would be helpful.
Best Regards
Jim

hminky

I have a page discussing converting the Mogul to an S scale 2-8-0 at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_conversion/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Ken

Jim / Harold

Intersting thought's on S scale conversion's, going the other way,
looking at converting a REX 2-6-0 to a O scale Meter Gauge engine for
interchange with my 2½ft layout.

Ken Clark
    GWN

Jim Goodridge

Ken,  Now if you can find an S Scale Pacific you could be off and running for Newfoundland Narrow Gauge in O Scale.  I was thinking of suggesting to Harold that he should look at the Newfoundland Railway for good ideas for Sn3 1/2. 

Hate to see the Rex 2-6-0 modified though, it's hard to come by anything in S scale in Saskatoon - OK it's impossible. LOL
Best Regards
Jim

hminky

Quote from: Jim Goodridge on August 12, 2007, 12:13:53 AM
Ken,  Now if you can find an S Scale Pacific you could be off and running for Newfoundland Narrow Gauge in O Scale.  I was thinking of suggesting to Harold that he should look at the Newfoundland Railway for good ideas for Sn3 1/2. 

Hate to see the Rex 2-6-0 modified though, it's hard to come by anything in S scale in Saskatoon - OK it's impossible. LOL
Best Regards
Jim

S scale, that is s SCALE and not Flyer, has never been a hobby shop scale. It has always been a mail order scale. Now we have the internet it is easy.

http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sscale.html

There is a S scale Pacific, American Models has one along with a whole bunch of cars and locomotives.

and the Rex is back in production.

Harold