News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HOn30

Started by RGW, May 06, 2012, 10:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

I have build some HOn30 locomotives one of these is a 2-8-0 using the mech from a N scale bachmann 2-8-0 and tender.The boiler is from a n scale Atlas 0-8-0 the tender shell and cab are from a old time Riv HO scale 2-4-0.I glued the HO tender shell over the Bachmann spectrum shell so I can disassemble it.Since Bachmann's sucess with On30 is there any plan at Bachmann for producing HOn30 because it runs on N scale track?

BandO GLENNWOOD

I have asked this question a number of times Bachmann does produce some 009 or HOe for the overseas market and I suggested that be made available to us another thought I had was to expand the Thomas Line to include the narrow gauge lines Then all we would have to do is replace the smoke box front to have some very nice prototype equipment Mr. Bachmann are you listening I would enjoy a comment on this subject from Bachmann Thank you Paul

CNE Runner

Paul - You ask a good question...especially with the knowledge that Bachmann already makes HOe for the European market. However one has to take into account that Bachmann doesn't own Bachmann. Bachmann Trains is owned by Kader Ltd. of Hong Kong ROC. It is Kader that makes corporate decisions. More on this very successful company (who manufactures model railroad equipment for many other companies - besides the ones they wholly own - can be found at:
More germane to the discussion is whether or not HOn30 has a real market in the states. On30 seems to have 'taken off' and is a very successful line for Bachmann (although the why escapes me as On30 takes up the same amount of space as O scale as only the track is 1/2 the size of O-gauge whilst all the structures scenery is still 1:48 (people, for example, aren't any smaller on a narrow gauge line than a standard gauge road in the prototype world).

Whatever the case, I think some reputable third party needs to find out if there is a large enough interest (and hence need) for HOn30 for a huge company to undertake such a marketing/manufacturing decision. Personally, I would just like some of the On30 locomotives to become available in HO.

Regards,
Ray

PS: There is a good section on HOn30 on the Free Rails forum that may interest you. This is a wonderful group of guys...very similar to the 'bunch' here on the Bachmann forum. Free Rails can be seen at: http://freerails.com/
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

WTierce1

You an get the Liliput Bachmann Trains from http://www.reynaulds.com/. They have all kinds of European imports and other H0e from other brands.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

ryeguyisme

well with blackstone's  Protraxx announcement, you may see more offerings in HOn3

CNE Runner

Peco has just announced a line of American-styled narrow gauge track products (HOn30/HOe). By the end of the summer/early fall they hope to be offering turnouts to match. Peco has a considerable sales base with European narrow gauge products; and I am surprised that they see a niche for American narrow gauge. Who knows?..this may be the start of something big.

Ray

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ryeguyisme on May 21, 2012, 04:13:17 PM

well with blackstone's  Protraxx announcement, you may see more offerings in HOn3

You  mean the outfit that makes such beautiful narrow gauge locomotives and rolling stock is going to offer narrow gauge sectional track?  :o

RGW

I am using Kato unitrack now not to realistic for HOn30 but works well,but maybe I will need build another small layout in the future. 

CNE Runner

Jeff - If your post was referring to Peco, the answer is "Yes". The Peco website is a little 'light' on information as of yet. This is probably true because the bulk of their new product line won't be distributed until later in the summer (according to their magazine). The narrow gauge section of their website can be found at:
BTW: I think their narrow gauge locomotives and rolling stock are wonderful...I see another mini layout coming.

Ray

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on May 23, 2012, 10:14:01 AM
Jeff - If your post was referring to Peco, the answer is "Yes". The Peco website is a little 'light' on information as of yet. This is probably true because the bulk of their new product line won't be distributed until later in the summer (according to their magazine). The narrow gauge section of their website can be found at:
BTW: I think their narrow gauge locomotives and rolling stock are wonderful...I see another mini layout coming.

Ray

Who, me?

Actually, I was referring to Blackstone. I run across listings for their HOn3 Rio Grande engines and cars on eBay all the time, and I think they're drop-dead gorgeous.

So are their prices--"drop dead," I mean--but that's another matter.  ::)

"J.B. Jeff"

ebtnut

The Blackstone HOn3 models thus far have been great.  The new EBT three-bay hopper is just now being released.  Thier K-27 and C-19 models look great and run better.  Even though I'm primarily in On3 these days, I'd get one of the C-19's if I had an extra $350.00 lying around.  I also see in the new Gazette that they are doing the C-19 in a couple of pre-1900 styles too.