Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco RS-3 Diesel Locomotive

Started by kvponkshe, April 16, 2012, 11:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kvponkshe

hello,
i am new to model railroad.
i am purchasing Alco RS-3 Diesel Locomotive product code 64206.
This is dcc equipped loco.
Can I convert this to sound equipped loco?
If yes what sound module i have to use?
Please suggest..& thanks in advance.....
-Kaustubh

bapguy

There are several ways to go about this. The easiest and least expensive is to buy an MRC sound decoder with an Alco 244 engine sound sceme. They just came out with a new line of decoders priced around $65.00. Check their web sight for part #1614. The other is to get a Soundtraxx board decoder to replace the one that came in the loco. This is more expensive. Either way, you need a 28mm speaker that should fit in the hole in the fuel tank. The MRC decoder has an 8 pin harness theat will plug into the PC board on the RS  . Take out the decoder thats installed from the factory and replce it with this one. Make sure there is room inside for the capacitor to fit.  Joe

kvponkshe

Thanks a lot Bapguy.... :)
I will go with MRC sound decoder.
With this I need to remove the existing decoder in loco & install the MRC decoder in loco...right?

Thanks in advance....:)

Bucksco

It costs a little more but the SoundTraxx decoder is better....

Tom M.

I have no affiliation with either Bachmann or SoundTraxx, but fully agree with Yardmaster's comment that the SoundTraxx decoder offering is superior over MRC.  On my layout, I have two QSI diesel sound decoder locos (not very happy with the prime mover sound), one MRC diesel (not very happy with it at all), and over 40 SoundTraxx Tsunami diesel sound decoders.  I am very, very happy with SoundTraxx.

Tom

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I do not know if the MRC decoders have been improved over the past couple of years,  but I saw Atlas RS3 run with the MRC decoder.   The engine was running and the bell was turned on.   So far so good.  But......while the engine was running and the bell ringing,  when the operator tried to blow the horn,  the engine came to a dead stop.   I was told that the decoder did not have the capacity to have two functions on at the same time while the engine was moving.
     I totally agree with the idea of installing a Tsunami decoder.   The sound is great and the operational capacity of the decoders is also great.
     Just remember,  you get what you pay for.   Some due diligence would wise before purchasing a decoder.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

bapguy

I have 2 Athearn RS3's with MRC sound decoders in them. I've had not had any problems with them. I have 2 with Soundtraxx decoders-one factory one I installed. I would go with the Soundtraxx one my self, but a newbie might have problems with the instalation vif you go with the board style as the old board has to come out and the new one installed,plus does the Bachmann RS3 use LEDS for the headlights? Then you have to install resisters if you go with the board replacement or go with a decoder with 8pin harness and not have to deal with resisters. Then all you do is take out the old decoder and plur in hte new one. Don't forget to get a 28mm speaker!.  Joe.

kvponkshe

Hello All,

Can someone please provide me product code of Tsunami decoder for bachmann Alco rs 3 loco?

Thanks in advance...

bapguy

Soundtraxx decoder # 827104. I believe this is a hard wired decoder. You will need an adapter for it. The adapter has an 8 pin plug on one end and a 9 pin on the other. Also a good 28mm speaker is needed. I get decoders from Accu-lites as they have discount prices. On the decoder.one end has the wires coming out  of the decoder to wire iit in. This has a 9pin plug that plugs into the decoder. This plug must be CAREFUULY removed and replaced with the adapter. Then it can be plugged into the board on the RS3. Digitrax makes these adapters: DHWHP and DHWHPS. The PS has a shot lengt of wire. Hoe this helps. Joe

jward

it may be easier to just purchase an alco fa2 or s4 with sound already installed. and hopefully eventually bachmann will make a sound equipped rs3. the fa2 has the appropriate sounds for an rs3.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtbob

kvponkshe,

If you go to the Soundtraxx website you can bring up any sound decoder and listen to the sound.   
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

kvponkshe

Hello,
Today I tried to open the shell but was unsuccessful.
I removed the screws below Knuckle couples on both the ends & tried to pull the shell from body...but no luck.
Please suggest any other way to open the shell of bachmann rs3 ho scale loco to install sound decoder.

bapguy

There are 2 screws 1 on each end that hold the couplers on. There might be more screws that are holding on the body. Look on the bottom where the cab is. There might be a screw on each side going through the frame into the body. Remove the fuel tank and see if there is/are screws there as well. Joe

richg

Quote from: bapguy on April 17, 2012, 02:09:07 PM
Soundtraxx decoder # 827104. I believe this is a hard wired decoder. You will need an adapter for it. The adapter has an 8 pin plug on one end and a 9 pin on the other. Also a good 28mm speaker is needed. I get decoders from Accu-lites as they have discount prices. On the decoder.one end has the wires coming out  of the decoder to wire iit in. This has a 9pin plug that plugs into the decoder. This plug must be CAREFUULY removed and replaced with the adapter. Then it can be plugged into the board on the RS3. Digitrax makes these adapters: DHWHP and DHWHPS. The PS has a shot lengt of wire. Hoe this helps. Joe

Below is info if you go with the Tsunami that was recommended. Click on Tsunami and save this link to Favorites. No idea on what your level of experience is, but read everything. Much of the info can be used with other sound decoders, depending on your level of experience. Many times, you cannot expect plug and play. Just too many variables.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/

Litchfield Station is a good DCC on line seller I have recommended here a few times but they will NOT sell MRC decoders.

Rich

Rich

steve_p9999

To remove the body from the HO RS-3, work from the underside.  First remove the couplers by unscrewing the coupler covers at each end, removing the screws, and then removing the coupler covers and couplers.

Then, remove the one screw holding on the fuel tank cover.  That will uncover two more screws.  Those are the ones that attach the body to the frame.  Remove them, and the body will slide right off.

-- Steve