News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-4

Started by cact25, July 29, 2007, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

ebtbob,

The current Bachmann ten wheeler is a turn of the century, slide valve, small boilered loco. Many roads built (or had built for them) larger modern ten wheelers well into the 1920's which resemble locos like the current Bachmann consolidation in boiler size and capacity. One excelent C&O example rests at the B&O museum today.

This is the type of ten wheeler myself and other keep requesting.

Actually, the boilers are the same on the two Bachmann ten wheeler models, it is the drivers that are different. Baldwin offered this loco with 52" or 63" drivers in the exact same frame. The driver spacing allowed this change. So the 63" version "raised" the boiler up, hence the term "high boiler".

The current Bachmann loco is a great piece and I have several, as do many modelers I know, but a 1920's ten wheeler would be a much welcomed addition to my roster.

In my opinion on the other hand, while a 2-6-2 would be a nice addition as well, it would not have the broad appeal of a modern ten wheeler. Modern ten wheelers where use by roads big and small, all over, and lasted to the end of steam. 2-6-2's on the other hand where few in prototype number, largely obsolete by the 20's and where primarily a short line loco, even in their peak.

Acording to NMRA data sheet D9a.1, revised 2/51, there where only 1,700 2-6-2's built, the last of which in 1910. They list it as a "rare light freight type"

That same source records 17,000 ten wheelers, many built as late as the 20's and listed them as still in use.

In fact, ten wheelers come in third on the all time quanity list:

2-8-0   33,000
4-4-0   25,000
4-6-0   17,000
0-6-0   15,000
2-8-2   14,000
2-6-0   11,000
4-6-2    6,800

These are the locos we need more examples of, as opposed to the following list:

4-8-4   1,000
4-8-8-4   25
2-10-4   450
2-8-4    750

As for the earlier talk of 4-6-4's well there were only 500 of those and NYC had most of them, so anything other than a NYC J would be a nice addition to that wheel arrangement.

One of my personal favorites, while not produced in staggering numbers, was more common than many models on the market, is the 4-4-2. They come in at 1,900 examples and many lasted quite long as well.

Another favorite of mine in the 4-8-2, (2,400 prototype copies) which Bachmann has done quite well as the USRA examples go, I have a large fleet of Bachmann Heavy Mountains. Some non USRA examples would be nice at some point. Many could use the drive they already make since driver spacing and size was copied from the USRA versions for many later versions. While not a USRA "copy", the very last loco built by th B&O in their Mt Clair shops was a 4-8-2. They found this design so usefull they never owned a Berkshire or a Northern, imagine that!

Sheldon

rogertra

Sheldon.

An excellent post.

Yes, we do need a "modern" 4-6-0.  I to was disappointed with the two Spectrum 4-6-0s as I was hoping for something a little more modern.

I've suggested on this board before that Bachmann could reissue both 4-6-0s but with modern fittings.  Piston valves instead of slide valves, modern, smooth dome and sandbox, taller tender, modern airpumps and headlight(s).

In fact, they now seem to have most of these parts on the more modern looking of the 4-4-0s.

You may have seen my post about Customer Service not answering their 800 number?

The reason I'm phoning customer service is I want to order a couple of sets of piston valve cylinder castings, steam domes and sand boxes from the 4-4-0 and see if I can get them to fit onto the two "low boilered" 4-6-0s I've got sitting here in their boxes.  I just don't think the 4-6-0s, right from the box, are really suitable for a class one railway set in 1958 so until I can modify them, in their boxes they stay.

I agree 100% with your comments on the 2-6-2.  The prototype, though very popular in the Uk for example where 2-6-2Ts were very common and in use almost rignt up to the end of steam in 1968, they were not common in North America.  The 2-6-2 offered little in extra power over the 2-6-0 and was generally not as powerful as a 4-6-0.  It was neither fish nor fowl in the locomoitve world and would, in my opionion, be a poor choice of rtr locomotive.

A modernised 2-6-0, with piston valves and smooth not wedding cake dome and sandbox, a bigger and "modern" 4-6-0, a 4-6-2 smaller than a USRA Pacific and a 2-8-2, perhaps using the 2-8-0 with one more boiler course added, would be very good choices for future models.

SteamGene

Roger, I agree with you.  Despite the fact they have limited use to me, I support the addition of Harriman locomotives.  It's funny that on another forum at least one member decried the fact that "the West gets all the glory and Eastern modelers get nothing!"
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

These are the locos we need more examples of, as opposed to the following list:

4-8-4   1,000
4-8-8-4   25
2-10-4   450
2-8-4    750

-Sheldon

But at least one good plastic Texas & Pacific 2-10-4 is needed on the market. Right?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Whoa!  Sheldon provided that information - I didn't.  But I agree that there should be warnings - just like on cigarette packs, though they might not be heeded .  THIS LOCOMOTIVE NOT SUITED FOR A 4X8 LAYOUT!  The same thing applies to cars.  I wonder about the number of folks who have bought an articulated well car set and wondered why it looked so shabby on their 4x8!  (Ah - somebody is surprised I know what an articulated well car is!  :D)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Quote from: SteamGene on July 31, 2007, 06:18:48 PM
Whoa!  Sheldon provided that information - I didn't.  But I agree that there should be warnings - just like on cigarette packs, though they might not be heeded .  THIS LOCOMOTIVE NOT SUITED FOR A 4X8 LAYOUT!  The same thing applies to cars.  I wonder about the number of folks who have bought an articulated well car set and wondered why it looked so shabby on their 4x8!  (Ah - somebody is surprised I know what an articulated well car is!  :D)
Gene

My bad. I changed the quote.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

r.cprmier

Ref: Berkshire offering:
I hadn't gotten wind of that.  Can someone tell me where I can find it pictured? 

There were several variations on that wheel arrangement; and Boston and Albany had the A-1s and A-3s.  I believe the boiler was a little bigger than the NKP S-3s, I have always liked them both; but for obvious reasons, the A- series would be my choice to pick.  Whistler's Western!!  Love dat Boston to Pittsfield run...over the-yep, you guessed it...the Berkshires!!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

In the General Discussion area, 1st post, Train Show announcements. than there is a post that says train show resource, that one has some photo links.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

ebtbob,

Here is a link to a picture of a modern ten wheeler,

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s2012.jpg

Compare that to the Bachmann model and you will see the differances.

Someone makes a spectrum/proto quality model of this and I will buy a half dozen, at least.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
The Berkshires that are forthcoming are basically the Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton issues, so thefore, wouldn't be practical for a B&A type "A-3" conversion.  They are still a great looking locomotive, though. 

WHile stationed at Bunker Hill AFB in Indiana, I happened upon a C&O Berkshire in the park at Peru, Ind.  It looked like it was fairly well-kept-but this was in 1967, so I hope it is still in good shape.  As  a matter of fact, it was the prototype for an O scale superdetailing project in either June or July 67 Model Railroader.

Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Rich, the C&O had KANAWAHAS.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
Are you referring to my post about that 4-8-2 in Peru?  If they were called "Kanawahas", that is OK by me.  We learn something new every day...and my learning hatch is always open for more.  Doesn't make it stand out any less in my mind as a really pretty engine.

I still would love to see something I could easily convert to a B&A A-3 Berkshire.  My other thoughts about what I would like in a large steamer:  A Yellowstone.  I think that would be the bee's knees steaming around my layout with a string of cement hoppers trailing her...She was a real corker of an articulated!

Small steam would be, in general, a welcome sight; especially some of the later ten-wheelers and Moguls, like the B&M,  Rutland, Central Vermont, and the Maine Central, as well as on the New Haven, f'rinstance...

Rich
Rich

rogertra

Quote from: Atlantic Central on July 31, 2007, 11:02:43 PM
ebtbob,

Here is a link to a picture of a modern ten wheeler,

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-s2012.jpg

Compare that to the Bachmann model and you will see the differances.

Someone makes a spectrum/proto quality model of this and I will buy a half dozen, at least.

Sheldon

You and me both Sheldon.

They'd become a main stay, along with the 2-8-0s, for my GER.  Mind you, I'd like a nice, modern looking 2-6-0 as well.

Something like this perhaps? :-

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/pennsy/rmop/cnr89.jpg

In this case a nice little CNR 2-6-0 but generic enough to satisfy many needs.

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
Great picture of a nice-looking engine.  THis is what I am talking about when I mentioned 2-6-0, 4-6-0, etc.  Post turn-of-the-century equipment.
I too, would buy some if they came out, either Spectrum or another high-end entity-but not brass!
RIch

Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
The 2-8-4 in Peru.  :D  The C&O was not going to call a locomotive the name of a damnyankee mountain range in New England.   Just like the 4-8-4 was a Greenbriar.  Sadly, the 2-6-6-6 got the damnyankee spelling, not the Virginia one.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat