News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Davenport 0-4-0

Started by rosco, July 29, 2007, 08:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosco

Is there a diagram how to in stall DCC in an early version of a Davenport 0-4-0? Thanks for any info. Ross

br549

I didn't use any diagram when I installed a Soundtraxx N scale Goose railbus DSD in my gas mech.  It has to be an N scale decoder to fit no exceptions!
One thing you need to do if you decide to go through with the installation. Remove the Bachmann circuit board and wire the Soundtraxx DSD directly to each component.
I didn't the first time resulting in smoking an expensive DSD due to non compatibility of the two boards.
Just follow the instructions on the DSD' package its really easy once you've done it.
I used a 3/4" speaker and installed a wire mesh grill even though there is enough room in the cab roof .

rosco

Thanks Bob. I guess thats the best way. I was looking for a shortcut. Ross

br549

Ross, The first time I had attempted the task I soldered the DSD's wires to the Bachmann factory circuit board as the Loco's instruction sheet said word for word and thats when both boards went up in smoke they actually caught fire! :o
That's when I called Soundtraxx for help.
Its really not that hard to do, there is enough room in the Hood of the Gas Mech. to fit an "N"scale decoder If you want sound as well put the 3/4" speaker under the cab roof I would suggest a speaker enclosure for better acoustics. Two holes for the speaker wire will need to be drilled through the fire wall of the loco but with some paint they can appear to be some piping/air lines. Other wise just a standard T-1 decoder will work. Measure it to be sure any other brands will fit if your not concerned about sound. I will say the Soundtraxx N scale goose /Rail bus DSD sound really cool as it putts along down the track ;D. Its a tight fit but it will work once its tucked inside the hood
Don't be discouraged, its easier then it looks. ;)
Bob

rosco

Bob
Appreciate the time it took to answer.
Thanks again Ross

kendoitall

Quote from: br549 on July 31, 2007, 03:22:03 PM
I will say the Soundtraxx N scale goose /Rail bus DSD sound really cool as it putts along down the track ;D. Its a tight fit but it will work once its tucked inside the hood
Bob

Bob,

Can you tell me where you got the goose sound decoder? I can't seem to find any online and my local hobby shop is useless on the subject.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

br549

Well I came up with the same results one big 0...  :-\
Obviously they have been sold out unfortunately. You might contact Soundtraxx via their web site and ask when they might start manufacturing them again. After all they dropped the old DSDLC series and when they sold out that was it. But the good news is they have a new series that is smaller and has better sound . email them via their web site and ask about the Goose rail bus DSD  like the old cliche, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!  www.soundtraxx.com
Best regards!

kendoitall

Quote from: br549 on August 02, 2007, 05:11:38 PM
Well I came up with the same results one big 0...  :-\
Obviously they have been sold out unfortunately. You might contact Soundtraxx via their web site and ask when they might start manufacturing them again. After all they dropped the old DSDLC series and when they sold out that was it. But the good news is they have a new series that is smaller and has better sound . email them via their web site and ask about the Goose rail bus DSD  like the old cliche, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!  www.soundtraxx.com
Best regards!

Bob,

Good idea. I'll see how they respond. I have three railcars that are disgustingly silent.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

renniks

Try a Loksound Micro--they do a Galloping Goose and come complete with speaker and enclosure. With Soundtraxx these are extra. Think Tony's Trains stock them.

Eric UK