News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Annoucements for new locomoitives

Started by Pacific Northern, May 29, 2012, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Some time back there was a posting where the Bachmann indicated that July was when Bachmann made their announcements of what new items that would be producing. When in July?
Pacific Northern

richg

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 29, 2012, 06:33:31 PM
Some time back there was a posting where the Bachmann indicated that July was when Bachmann made their announcements of what new items that would be producing. When in July?

Obviously we will find out in July. We have not gone into June yet. Patience Grasshopper.

Rich

ryeguyisme

Oh boy! *jumps up and down* come onnnnn western steamers

Jerrys HO

More diesels with sound GP's and SD's or at least give enough room to add a speaker without having to mill down the chassis.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I am hoping for a specific restored Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 numbered 261. If it would be a standard line engine, oh well, make it a sound value on board engine with the heavy steam sounds and the Frisco 1522 whistle. If it would be a spectrum line steamer, please Bachmann, make it with a sound module that has sounds recorded from the real thing since it is still around and hopefully done with its overhaul soon. For western engines, I am hoping for something like the Grand Canyon Railway 4960 and Grand Canyon Railway 28... or the Sierra Railway #3.

electrical whiz kid

Wow...Just like my grandson sitting on Santa's lap...  I just got my chuckle for the day reading this thread.   Say, do any of you "old men" remember Jordan Marsh in Boston?  They used to have a humongous layout set up in an area called "Santa's Toyland".  My mother and I would go into Boston by train and off to Jordan's we'd go!  She's drop me off in in toyland and that's where I'd stay...
Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on May 30, 2012, 06:54:21 PM
I am hoping for a specific restored Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 numbered 261.

MilwRd-

I hate the role of wet blanket, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Specific locomotives are almost never modeled in broad-market plastic HO. You will see them in brass and possibly in specialized lines like Broadway Limited, Precision Scale or Mike's Train House.

The problem for a manufacturer like Bachmann is that they have huge costs in manufacturing the first item of anything they sell, and they sell a LOT of items. So they need to sell a ton of something at a reasonable cost in order to recoup their research, design, tooling and marketing expenses. Broadway Limited or brass sell comparatively few models, so their expenses are lower. But they sell at prices much higher than Bachmann in order to cover those expenses despite the fewer units they sell. It's different ways of doing the modeling business: Models with affordable prices sold in large numbers (Bachmann) or limited production, high-priced models (BLI, Precision, some MTM, brass). Or think Chevrolet vs Lexus. Or Christian Brothers vs Remy. Or Maybelline vs Elizabeth Arden. Or GE vs Sub-Zero or Viking. Or Outback Steakhouse vs Ruth's Chris. Examples abound in almost every product category.

You probably understand this already but sometimes it's helpful to consciously apply this thinking to a specific model which we covet. For me, I'd like to see a beautifully decorated, sound-equipped, DCC Santa Fe 2900 Class Northern at an approachable price. Am I likely to see one? Sadly, from my perspective, no. So let's cry together and drink a really GREAT bottle of wine. That, I can afford!
                                                                                                          -- D

ebtnut

"For western engines, I am hoping for something like the Grand Canyon Railway 4960 and Grand Canyon Railway 28... or the Sierra Railway #3."  Keep in mind - 4960 began life as a CB&Q loco with a considerably different look than it has now.  No. 28 was originally a Lake Superior and Ishpheming loco, and I believe the GCRy gave it a new look as well.  Sierra 3 might be a candidate at some point, though Tyco did the loco way back when, even though it was considerably oversize for HO scale.  Doneldon stated the case well as to why manufacturers like Bachmann generally bring in "stock" locos - those that can fairly represent a number of similar locos that were used on different roads.  The imported brass market in past tried to help fill the niche for specific locos, though that market has gotten very pricey in recent years and a lot fewer models are coming in. 

jonathan

Good point about specialty locomotives.  For we B&O fans, we got lucky... lucky perhaps because the EM1 appeals others besides Beano lovers.  There are a bunch (I mean a big bunch) of folks out there who collect only articulated locomotives.  Thus, we got a loco that used to be a brass-only product.  I am grateful for that.  Plus, what a feather-in-the-cap for the Bachmann folks who put out a great running, great looking, and good sounding locomotive, at a more-than-reasonable price point.

If there are any new locomotives announced at all this year, I am coming around to the realization that almost every locomotive put out by the USRA has been done by Bachmann and/or others.  I say 'almost' because we haven't seen a USRA Pacific, yet.  Oh sure, there have been Pennsy, B&O, etc 4-6-2s made by a number of companies. But a USRA version would be nice because it could be easily modified to any number of specific railroads to ended up with the USRA Pacific. At least, I can't think of a USRA version in recent memory. Just a thought.

Another thought: steam fans got a lot to be happy about last year.  Perhaps the modern diesel era folks will get something new.

Isn't anticipation wonderful?

Regards,

Jonathan

Pacific Northern

Quote from: jonathan on May 31, 2012, 07:46:31 PM
Good point about specialty locomotives.  For we B&O fans, we got lucky... lucky perhaps because the EM1 appeals others besides Beano lovers.  There are a bunch (I mean a big bunch) of folks out there who collect only articulated locomotives.  Thus, we got a loco that used to be a brass-only product.  I am grateful for that.  Plus, what a feather-in-the-cap for the Bachmann folks who put out a great running, great looking, and good sounding locomotive, at a more-than-reasonable price point.

If there are any new locomotives announced at all this year, I am coming around to the realization that almost every locomotive put out by the USRA has been done by Bachmann and/or others.  I say 'almost' because we haven't seen a USRA Pacific, yet.  Oh sure, there have been Pennsy, B&O, etc 4-6-2s made by a number of companies. But a USRA version would be nice because it could be easily modified to any number of specific railroads to ended up with the USRA Pacific. At least, I can't think of a USRA version in recent memory. Just a thought.

Another thought: steam fans got a lot to be happy about last year.  Perhaps the modern diesel era folks will get something new.

Regards,

Jonathan

Are you aware that BLI will be doing a USRA light pacific soon.

BLI should do very well with this offering, late as it is as no one else was interested. I was sure that MTH would be doing one and had they I would have been very disappointed, and of course would not buy any.
Pacific Northern

ryeguyisme

I didn't hold my breath on the D&RGW 4-8-2 M-75's and M-78's, so I bought the brass versions and I'm happy with them although the price is steep I have  1 of each and awaiting my next M-75 next week and an M-64 4-8-4 on layaway, and I must say watch out for road specific brass, once in a blue moon you'll find a deal and snatch it up, now I have a respectable roster of engines the old farts at the local club get green about and I'm only 23 on a budget, that being said patience and determination is a virtue, you can always attain your dreams if you work hard for them.

As for a Milwaukee 4-8-4 --> brasstrains.com has one for $1,100 and it can be yours if you put it on layaway for 4 months at $275 a month

Doneldon

Quote from: ryeguyisme on May 31, 2012, 10:43:51 PM
As for a Milwaukee 4-8-4 --> brasstrains.com has one for $1,100 and it can be yours if you put it on layaway for 4 months at $275 a month

Rye-

I think MilwRdFan261 was thinking substantially less than $1100. I can't as I blame him!

-- D

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Pacific Northern on May 31, 2012, 08:19:28 PM
Quote from: jonathan on May 31, 2012, 07:46:31 PM
Good point about specialty locomotives.  For we B&O fans, we got lucky... lucky perhaps because the EM1 appeals others besides Beano lovers.  There are a bunch (I mean a big bunch) of folks out there who collect only articulated locomotives.  Thus, we got a loco that used to be a brass-only product.  I am grateful for that.  Plus, what a feather-in-the-cap for the Bachmann folks who put out a great running, great looking, and good sounding locomotive, at a more-than-reasonable price point.

If there are any new locomotives announced at all this year, I am coming around to the realization that almost every locomotive put out by the USRA has been done by Bachmann and/or others.  I say 'almost' because we haven't seen a USRA Pacific, yet.  Oh sure, there have been Pennsy, B&O, etc 4-6-2s made by a number of companies. But a USRA version would be nice because it could be easily modified to any number of specific railroads to ended up with the USRA Pacific. At least, I can't think of a USRA version in recent memory. Just a thought.

Another thought: steam fans got a lot to be happy about last year.  Perhaps the modern diesel era folks will get something new.

Regards,

Jonathan

Are you aware that BLI will be doing a USRA light pacific soon.

BLI should do very well with this offering, late as it is as no one else was interested. I was sure that MTH would be doing one and had they I would have been very disappointed, and of course would not buy any.

Wasn't the 4-6-2 that Athearn made a few years ago a USRA Light Pacific? And as far as a Milwaukee Road S-3, I was thinking more in the price range and style of the GS-4.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Doneldon on May 31, 2012, 10:59:10 PM

Rye-

I think MilwRdFan261 was thinking substantially less than $1100. I can't as I blame him!

-- D

I used to be scared before I decided to take the leap and I have to say the thought of having unique steam, is quite addicting, most all my power(brass included) has some sort of kitbashing done to it, brass has its way of making you appreciate that leap. Can't wait for the day when those engines are worth tenfold less the fraction they are worth now, I'll be buying them by the dozen and believe me with my generation entering the mid twenties and the kids born after me, the demand for brass steam will dwindle with time, brass USRA engines are practically worthless unless you need a chassis or prefer all metal due to the plastic/diecast market flood of them.

Now if only bachmann could make Denver and Salt lake 2-6-6-0's and Norfolk and western 2-6-6-2 Z1's as both of those were found on the rio grande as well

stopped holding my breath for a N&W K3 4-8-2, bought one for a really good price recently, however I have to kitbash a tender for it

Doneldon

Rye-

You are absolutely right. I'm now selling brass locos for four or five times what I couldn't afford to pay when I was your age but that market is due to crash soon. There's a huge array of model train equipment available now because all of us old model rails are at a point in our lives where we can afford to indulge ourselves and we have the time to enjoy doing so. The demographics will start to shift in the next two years, however, and there will start to be more and more expensive toys available to an ever smaller pool of modelers who will have more trains than they ever thought possible. Good for you!!
                                                                                                                                                    -- D