News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Annoucements for new locomoitives

Started by Pacific Northern, May 29, 2012, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Remember debates happen to enlighten us, not tear us apart or create much of argument. Both sides would have the privilege of learning different viewpoints and may learn something new in the process.

This only becomes an argument when you make things a little more personal and even so far as to start name calling, but here is a control, I don't believe it is turning into an argument.

Although all I can say is this: only the guys in bachmann could know their real business practices as well as Kader though they may never reveal their secret recipe for success.

Now to rerail the thread, its only a month or so before bachmann announces its big new thing to the world, now what we haven't seen much of in plastic/diecast is medium sized articulateds and harriman style engines. I almost wonder if there's a way to make say a mikado that can be used to make different roads like a union pacific MK or a D&SL mikado or DRGW or Southern pacific . Something generic where you can change the steam domes, cabs, sand domes, pilots, etc to fit your railroad

Desertdweller

Ryeguy,

I like your suggestion about producing models with interchangeable details.  This actually was done by the big steam loco builders.  A company like Baldwin or Alco would produce a boiler/running gear combination that would be suitable for several railroads, then "customize" the product with options to fit the customers' preferences.

A company like Bachmann could use this same principle to produce steam locomotives with wider market appeal.

I don't think there is a lot of dispute over Diesel popularity vs. steam locomotives.  Most of us have no experience with seeing steam locomotives in regular railroad service.  If our model railroads are to be a re-creation of what we remember and enjoy, then Diesels would naturally have wider appeal.

Steam locomotives have such magnetism that even brief exposure to them can create a desire for them.  This is great, and can explain why modelers with Diesel-powered railroads still like to have a few steamers around.  As you well know, a steam-based model railroad requires quite different facilities than a Diesel-based one if it is to represent those operations realistically.

My own exposure to mainline steam is limited to watching fan specials roll past.  I live on the UP main line in Nebraska, and see the 844 or 3985 come through a couple times a year.  These are a curiosity to me.  My early railroad memories are built around F-units (including FT's), early Geeps, and early ALCO and Baldwin Diesels.  I started my railroad career amid FM switchers, ALCO RS units, F-7 and F-9's, and E-units.  This, to me, is the railroading I connect with.  I have operated virtually all SD and GP models, and most GE units from B23-7's on up, but my heart belongs to the 1960's, and that is what I model.

Les

Doneldon

Rye-

I, too, like the interchangable details concept as a way to spread tooling/development costs over a broader product selection. The automobile industry has been doing it for years.

I also think this explains the success of USRA models; virtually every railroad (NB: I wrote "virtually" so don't jump on me) had USRA locos or what were essentially USRA designs after the temporary semi-nationalization of the railroads ceased soon sfter the end of the war.
                                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

ryeguyisme

Exactly, road specific details on say a generic harriman boiler, find dimensions of certain prototypes, say a DRGW K-59, a UP MK-7, D&SL 2-8-2, and SP 2-8-2 and figure out if just the very basics from driving wheel size up to the boiler diameter and firebox size and  create some completely different prototypes based on those criterias, alone with just some additional tooling for the individual different detailing. And you've got yourself a golden goose egg. I hear time and time again for harriman mikes or steam, and now I'm joining the call because I model a western railroad and USRA engines don't appeal to me because in my view they're everywhere and even the roads that inspire my freelance work rarely had them.

Even if they put this engine in the standard line because a lack of exact prototypical dimensions, say the firebox is 2 inches scale off from the K-59, it would still be a hot selling engine, and the rivet counters can just make those superficial adjustments

2-8-8-4

Which is exactly the reason why I posted above regarding this:

Take the Bachmann 2-8-0, which already exists, and create some more road specific versions.

For example:

Perhaps move the bell, headlight, numberboards as needed--perhaps do a couple cabs and tenders--perhaps do a couple versions of the front steps/minor running board changes.  They will sell and Bachmann doesn't even need to tool a whole new engine!

My understanding based upon the research of others (found elsewhere online) is that the 2-8-0 appears to be most nearly of GM&O/IC lineage, with some modifications--so why not offer the correct "as built" or "as modernized" version (I don't care which--the one that appears to be closest to the model) with the correct paint and lettering for that road--and add some additional roads as well?

Perhaps offer the New England railroad(s) style arched cab side windows, or go a step farther and vary the domes--remove the domes from the main boiler (if not so already) so they can be varied if desired.

Some incremental improvements would pacify the rivet counters and possibly increase sales (though it is apparently already a pretty good seller).

Of course I'd prefer a new from the ground up western style generic 2-8-2--but in terms of tool and die costs, it might be more cost effective to make incremental improvements to existing offerings.  If I were Bachmann, I would seek to maximize the return on the existing tooling as much as possible, so I'd offer a few variations based upon existing models.

This assumes the existing tooling is still deemed as not being "too dated" ie not up to today's standards etc.

John

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I agree with 2-8-8-4 on the 2-8-0 thing. To make an ALCO 2-8-0, for example, all Bachmann need to do is make a body shell for just the main engine based off of an ALCO 2-8-0 like a Lake Superior & Ishpaming 2-8-0 with a running board on the drivers side identical to the one on the firemans side of the engine so it has the 2 air compressor sets. One on each side. Or to make a Duluth, Mesabi & Iron Range K class 2-8-0 all that it needs is a new body shell with flat running boards on both sides and a tender that's about half the length of the current 2-8-0 tender with the correct style bunker and a reversing light.

ryeguyisme

Searsport

A few tweaks would turn the 2-8-0 into a passably Ma & Pa #41, and complement Bachmann's other Ma & Pa engines.  A few more fittings would produce #42 and #43.

Bill.

2-8-8-4

It is far better to tweak an existing boiler than to do a brand new boiler.

From having worked for a model train manufacturer, it generally costs a lot more to tool a brand new boiler than it does to tool different domes and other small details that can be varied.

Though I too would love a DRGW C-48--it's one very nice, balanced appearing loco.  Some exposed piping, but not too much of anything...not a rolling pipefitter's nightmare like some other engines.  (Nothing directed at Ma & Pa engines...I'm just not familiar with them like I am some other railroads.  I would not be opposed to a Ma & Pa engine).

John

Petey

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on May 30, 2012, 06:54:21 PM
I am hoping for a specific restored Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 numbered 261. If it would be a standard line engine, oh well, make it a sound value on board engine with the heavy steam sounds and the Frisco 1522 whistle. If it would be a spectrum line steamer, please Bachmann, make it with a sound module that has sounds recorded from the real thing since it is still around and hopefully done with its overhaul soon. For western engines, I am hoping for something like the Grand Canyon Railway 4960 and Grand Canyon Railway 28... or the Sierra Railway #3.

Hello Milw 261,
I have a nice S2a, #207, closed vestibule, 4-8-4, just waiting for you. :)

Doneldon

Quote from: Petey on June 14, 2012, 11:47:50 AM
Hello Milw 261,
I have a nice S2a, #207, closed vestibule, 4-8-4, just waiting for you. :)

Petey-

I see you are new and unaware that this board is not for buying and selling. Sticking to the policies (clearly explained near the beginning of every section of the board) will make this a better experience for all of us.
                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Jerrys HO

Unless he is offering it to him for free!! ;D

Jerry

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on June 14, 2012, 05:16:22 PM
Unless he is offering it to him for free!! ;D

Jerry

Jerry-

Well, that's a very good point. However, how much do you want to bet he's not? Oops! I
don't know for sure but I'll bet (Oops2, I'm doing it again) betting isn't permitted, either.

-- D