News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reverse board question

Started by o3raledale, May 18, 2012, 06:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o3raledale

Just purchased the reverse board kit. There is a two pin plug for "Optional slave motors" But the directions don't address how to hook into it. I'm trying to power two diesels with two motors each. I've got the harness to go between them. I just need to know how to utilize the slave motor feature on the board.
Thanks,
Pat

phillyreading

The slave motor feature is for use with a set of motors that does not have a reverse board and should be able to be plugged into the slave plug-in with the special cord, that at one time was sold by Williams( before Bachmann buyout?)
Not for certain but the slave motor hookup should give you the same direction as the main unit, if plugged in properly.

Lee F.

o3raledale

"The slave motor feature is for use with a set of motors that does not have a reverse board and should be able to be plugged into the slave plug-in with the special cord, that at one time was sold by Williams( before Bachmann buyout?)
Not for certain but the slave motor hookup should give you the same direction as the main unit, if plugged in properly."

Yea that's what I was thinking. But can the board handle 4 motors? I was wondering if there was at one time a "slave board that the plug on the main unit plugged into.
-Pat

phillyreading

If you are not sure if the circuit board can handle four motors, check with Bachmann's service department.

Some FYI; all Williams engines have D.C. motors, and will operate from your car's battery or marine battery if you know how to wire it. I have put 6 amp 50 volt bridge rectifiers in two of my older F-7 A units(these are Crown Edition era, so I guess no warrenty), the only thing is that you lose direction doing this.

Lee F.

o3raledale

Thanks, I asked the service dept. like you suggested. We'll see what their thought on it are.
-Pat

Joe Satnik

Dear Lee,

You could have forward-reverse manual direction switching by cutting in a DPDT switch between the rectifiers and the motor. 

If you also want neutral, buy a DPDT switch with a "center off" position.

Back of switch (T1 thru T6)

1 2
3 4
5 6

T1 and T6 to rectifier (+)

T2 and T5 to Rectifier (-)

T3 to motor (+)

T4 to motor (-)

6 amp DPDT center-off switch:  RS 275-664

If your dual motors are modified (re-wired) to run in series, a 3 amp DPDT center-off switch should suffice:  Radio Shack 275-614

You could drill a hole through the chassis with the paddle sticking out the bottom.

You could cut a long paddle shorter to make it less visible. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Thanks Joe!

FYI, I run my engines with the motors in parallel or how the factory wired them. Also I use either a pw 275 watt ZW, or an MTH Z-1000 for power.
Sure, I could change them to series in a couple of minutes but they would run too slow for me and what I want.

Not sure but maybe the newer engines are a little more powerful, but I have the older Williams engines before Bachmann.

Lee F.