News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax Problems

Started by Kasman727, January 10, 2012, 11:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGS Goose

Hi dmolavi,
I used 1/8 O.D. K&S aluminium tube to make the sleeve for my Climax. I cut a piece about 1/16 long from the tube and then used a rat tail file to slightly taper the inside of the sleeve. I then pushed it onto the split drive shaft end, bigger opening in the tube first of course, with a TINY amount of super glue on the inside of the sleeve.
To get the drive shaft out of the model I took the cover off the cross gear box which allowed me to slide the shaft off the front of the truck without removing, or dismantling the truck, in any way. The split end on the shaft allows it to slide off easily.
Make sure you press the sleeve on square, as it is a tight fit. When the super glue is dry, push the cardan shaft back onto the truck carefully, as it will be a tight fit, and a hard push. You will need to put something at the inner end of the shaft in the truck, to allow you to slide the end of the cardan shaft right back on, and this can be done by bracing some packing between the face of the bevel gear and the axle. Make sure the packing you use will not damage the bevel gear teeth. Some medium to soft wood will do the job.
Then just reassemble the cross box with the shaft in place.
I did mine a long time ago, and only run it occassionally, as the layout is far from finished, but it runs perfectly every time I try it, and with this fix, at least this coupling is not likely to fail again.
Good luck. Let's know how you go with it.

RGS Goose.

rallinen

I bought one of the On30 Climax a few weeks ago. I just got around to opening the box and tried to run it.  The problem, it runs in reverse great, however forward is another issue.  It will run for about 3 or 4 inches then stops. The motor is still turning I can see the side rods going back a forth but it will not move.  I can not see a problem. Has anyone has had this type of problem with engine.

mabloodhound

If you read this thread from the beginning you would have seen that this is a common problem.   Go to the link posted at the top of this thread page 2.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security