News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Moving Domes on a 2-8-0

Started by jonathan, June 11, 2012, 07:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Progress:

Sorry for the bad photos (poor lighting).  That's not a shadow around the filled in hole.  It's a combination of the paint and epoxy.  The transition between the two pieces is nice and smooth. Have decided to paint the boiler and details as one.  Was going to paint the parts separately, but thought better of it.

I have considered a scratchbuilt doghouse.  Will keep looking for now.  I'm not the best scratchbuilder in the world.

I have done previous B&O models with the brakeman's hooch behind the fireman.  Just wanted to try something different this time.  Thanks, guys for the great references and suggestions.

Since the dome-moving topic has been covered, I probably don't need to keep posting my progress.  I will throw in a few photos when the loco is complete.  The fun continues!  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

As always, great stuff, Jonathon.  Helps remind folks that this is also a craft hobby, not just a train-running hobby. 

JRG1951

Johnathon,
Great Project!
Bowser has a couple of doghouse kits listed on their site.
Shelly 716 and 717.
http://www.bowser-trains.com/Prices/Selley%20HO-O%20Prices.htm
Regards,
John
******************************************************************************************
My father was not a failure. After all, he was the father of a president of the United States.  >> Harry S. Truman

jonathan

Thanks, ebt.  :) Somehow, I need to get back to the train-running part. The crafty part takes up most of my fun time.

Thanks, also, John.  I saw the Selley parts somwhere before... could have been the Bowser website.  My concern is there's no picture.  I could be ordering a kit that builds a doghouse that goes in the back yard, you know, for a dog. Selley had a lot of scenery stuff as I recall.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Quote from: jonathan on June 15, 2012, 06:22:02 AM
I have considered a scratchbuilt doghouse.  Will keep looking for now.  I'm not the best scratchbuilder in the world.

Jonathan-

Maybe not but, judging from what you've displayed here time and time again, I'll bet you wouldn't be too far behind number one if you tried. You always do such excellent and neat work. You never fail to impress me.
                                                                                                                                                              -- D

jonathan

OK, OK.  I know a good arm twisting when I feel one.  ;)

While watching the U.S. Open this evening, I spent about an hour slapping together this rough doghouse.  Before I start trimming, smoothing and painting...

Will this do?  Or should I go back to shopping?  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

You did that in an hour?  While watching the tube? 

Man, you put me to shame!

I'd say it looks pretty good, and furthermore, I don't think you'll find a commercial part that looks like the one you have.  What I would consider unique characteristics that I haven't seen on the other doghouses include the handrails, the fairly large roof overhang, and what appear to be window covers that swing up.  Certainly it's more than good enough for a "stand-in" if you decided you either could find one that looks like this or decided to build a better one.

"Go, Jonny, go. . ." 

Doneldon

Quote from: J3a-614 on June 16, 2012, 12:01:54 AM
Man, you put me to shame!
I'd say it looks pretty good
"Go, Jonny, go. . ." 

jonathan-

What he said!

--D

jonathan

Well, thank you.  If it looks good enough when done, I could use white glue to tack it on, in case I change my mind.

The doghouse is made from two resin box car doors, leftover from a kit.  I traced around the tackboards, with a hobby knife, to cut out the window holes.  Used some kind of square block as a jig when gluing it together.  During a commercial, I took the roof out to the garage and sanded it down thin, before attaching.  Pretty much eye-balled the whole thing.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum

A little primer: one can just make out a bit of seam still showing.  A little more sanding required.

Some detail parts to be added later:

J3a-614

Jon, don't feel terrible about "eyeballing" something like this.  Looking at some of the doghouses on the B&O, I get the impression that's what some of the shop crews did.

It's my understanding that the shop crews of the Rio Grande Southern also were "eyeball artists" when it came to building that road's Galloping Geese motor cars in the 1920s and 1930s.

Woody Elmore

Jon-nice work as usual.

Information for readers about Selley - the brand is old. Bowser bought the line ages ago and no longer produce the items. Also the freight car and engine parts are OO scale (4mm to the foot) so they are 10% larger than HO parts. Their cast figures can be used mixed with HO scale figures - they just look like bigger people!

Jerrys HO

jonathan,
Sorry for the late response, but my finger's were speechless. As Doneldon stated you continue to inspire us with your talent.

Jerry

jonathan

Thanks, again, guys.  You are too kind.

Here's a couple test shots of the homemade doghouse sitting in position, not attached.  Note the added details to the tender, as well as the brakeman, wiping his brow.  It's hot in there!

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

The tank looks great, looking forward to seeing the whole thing. . .

Let me guess, the footboards are from Bachmann's parts offerings?  If so, that's one of the most useful things Bachmann has for this and other locomotives that should have them.

jonathan

Thanks.  Still have quite a bit of work on the loco shell and mechanism.

Yes, the footboards and cut lever assembly were taken from a Spectrum USRA long tender, leftover from a Mountain project.  The only parts left of that tender are the metal platform and some of the shell.  All other parts were used in various projects.  The reverse light and rerailer are brass parts.  The poling pole is a sanded down toothpick. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum

The shell is nearing completion:

It will take a few days to get the headlight completed and attached:

jv