News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Moving Domes on a 2-8-0

Started by jonathan, June 11, 2012, 07:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Great work Jonathan.

I've saved all your photos as I plan to use your project as a basis for kitbashing two of my eight or so 2-8-0s so as to create another class.

One question, who makes the sandbox and steam dome you used?

I could use a few of those.

BTW, I have a couple of still wrapped 2-8-0s that may contain doghouses.  If I do have one or two doghouses, you're welcome to them as I don't use doghouses.

jonathan

Thanks, Roger.  Appreciate you thinking of me.

The domes, markers and steam whistle, were from Greenway Brass.  They have a shrinking inventory of brass parts.  The will keep selling them until depleted.  They had one other style of dome, that looked Pacific/Mikado-like. They did have a PRR-style doghouse, but were sold out of the one that looks B&O-like. 

The other detail parts are from Trackside Specialties (bought on line).  I would swear they were really Cal-Scale parts that were repackaged.  I could be wrong, but it seems like detail parts are getting harder to find... like all the parts were made a long time ago, by the millions. 

By the way, this Spectrum/Sound 2-8-0 sat in my LHS f-o-r-e-v-e-r.  I was positive someone would snap it up.  Finally, I couldn't bear to see it sit there any longer... it had to come home with me.  There was a previous owner, who must have mailed in the warranty card (it was missing).  I can't find any sign that the loco was ever run.  Even those little rubber/plastic sheets were still in place.

I've disassembled the loco to parade rest  Everything looks perfect.  The motor turns great. We'll see how it runs when I'm done.

Regards,

Jonathan

ryeguyisme

Roger, I may suggest you pick up a precision scale HO scale steam detail parts catalog which can be ordered from their website, they'll make the parts if they don't have them on hand and have them to you in under 4 weeks.

I'm already planning to buy parts to make a N&W Z1 from a spectrum 2-6-6-2 and a Boston and Maine 2-10-2 with a coffin FWH. Thank god they're still around very useful for me

rogertra

ryeguyisme

Already have the Precision Scale catalogue.   :)

jonathan

Yep, one of these days, I'll have to bite the bullet and get the catalog.  Good to know somebody is still making detail parts. Hope it continues...

OK, today's progress:

A working, raised, headlight... I hope.  Haven't tested it, yet.

And Boiler Stays! (ta da). Now that's off the hook.  Gee, I hope I wrote that right.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - I can't wait to see the finished loco with the appropriate B&O casting covering the hole in the smokebox ( it must be drafty for the crew right now!)

I want to correct something I said about Selley castings. Selley made parts in O, HO and OO scale. The line was bought by Bowser many years ago and I'm sure Bowser didn't upgrade the line. I can remember getting their "O" gauge figures - they were kind of flat - not very realistic but when the line was introduced before WWII these were state of the art.

jonathan

Unfortunately, my supply of B&O smokeplates is depleted.  I'm hoping to restock this Sunday, at the Timonium Train Show.  ;D  Perhaps I'll find a decent doghouse, too.  However, I think I can live with the homemade job.

All that's left is a little painting around the smokebox area and a good wheel cleaning.  Then I can connect the tender and test her out.  Will post a few pics when done.

Wish me luck!

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Won't make it to Timonium this time.  We're going to ride steam at the Walkersville Southern RR near Frederick on Saturday, and Sunday is my mom's 92nd birthday.  For those in the metro DC/Baltimore area, the WSRR is bringing in the Flagg Coal Co. 0-4-0T for the next 3 weekends of operations.  Trips begin at the Walkersville depot (ex-PRR) for about a 3-mile jaunt to the edge of Frederick, including crossing the Monocacy River on a substantial bridge.  Check their web site for more details.

jonathan

OK, here are some final shots of the dome-moving project.  Today, I did not have luck with sharp images.  I will weather the drivers and add the smokebox plate, as soon as I get one, but she's about done.  Fortunately, the loco runs well, after messing around with stiff tender connector wires (typical for a Connie).  I am DC at home, and these particular locos run much, much better on DCC. 

Thanks for watching!

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - I think the doghouse looks fine. With a little weathering it will look like it came from the Bachmann factory.

I had planned to go to Timonium with friends but we had to cancel. I miss walking around and looking at all the items for sale and watching the modular layouts. I hope it's not too hot, that one livestock building has a very unique "aroma" when it gets hot!

J3a-614

Jon, I think she looks great, too.

I also think it's pretty amazing how detail changes--in this case, primarily moving a headlight and changing domes and some piping--completely changes the overall look of the locomotive.  How many people would look at this engine now and recognize it as what it once was?

Again, thanks for sharing, and congratulations on another cool project.

ebtnut

Great finish-up Jonathon.  Will take a practiced eye to not know it wasn't a PFM brass model.  Hope you can locate a dome plate at the show. 

GN.2-6-8-0

Jonathon
wondering if you have concidered a smokebox plate from the EM-1 IF they are available?
Rocky Lives

rogertra

Jonathon.

One suggestion.

The two "domes" you've used are actually sandboxes.  Yes, I know,  most modellers call the sandbox a "dome" but technically and more correctly it's a sandbox.  :)

I would suggest that you remove the grab handles from the rear "dome" as well as the sandbox filler from the top and make it look more like a steam dome rather than a sandbox with no sandpipe connections.

Other than that, bloody marvelous job and I've saved all your photos so I can blatantly copy your work at a later date.

jonathan

Thanks for the kind words!  It was a fun project, if not a little nerve racking to break down the boiler that far.

The EM1 smokebox plate is a little too large for a Consolidation.  Plus it's a little too yellow to my eye.  These plates are not rare, really.  Pretty sure I'll find some soon.

Sometimes, my lack of knowledge about steamers shows.  I thought the steam domes would have a cover plate and nut, just like a sandbox.  Will study my prototype photos more closely. It would be easy to sand of my plastic cover and touch it up with a little paint.

Thanks, again!

Regards,

Jonathan