News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Any one for new cars?

Started by S. Calloway, June 12, 2012, 07:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S. Calloway

Just a thought... But with the economy the way it is,(In the tank) I thought the idea of some new freight cars might be a good idea.  They are more affordable than motive power ,at least right now,and could offer some a little purchasing power during this rough time. They are easy to kit-bash and it has been a while ,I think,  since Bachmann has come out with anything new in this area.    Just a thought...
SD  Calloway

Royce Wilson

How about a:

RGS Plow flanger 02

Rotary snow plow

Rpo/baggage car

4 wheel caboose

Royce

Skarloey Railway

Carter Bros passenger cars and freight cars. Gilpin Tram ore cars. Maine 2 foot cars to go with the forneys.

And a 'proper' 4-4-0 to go with the Carter Bros cars, pretty please

S. Calloway

S. Calloway

Great ideas already!!  Here is a few  more:  Hoppers, 32ft boxcar(ET&WNC) the 36ft cars could be easily kit-bashed from those, EBT stuff went in many different directions, a "big hook" 0n30 style,  Updated flats with better detail,  A passenger coach with rounded windows. Any other ideas??....        D. Calloway

Dusten Barefoot

That's the ticket. A proper 8-18c 4-4-0, some vestibule coaches, barrel cars, and wood cars like the ET&WNC had.

Rock On!
Dutsen
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Mark B

How about some sort of outside braced boxcar,hopper, or caboose?
Mark B

Skarloey Railway

Leaving aside specific requests, I'd like to see Bachmann developing more of a family relationship with new releases. If you look at the locos they've released, there is a clear and substantial logging family with the shay, climax, heisler and mallet and a mining/quarrying family with the two porters. Then there is a 30" gauge Central America family with the OS frame 4-4-0 and the 2-8-0 and of course a Maine 2' family with the Forneys.
Of these the logging family is the most developed and only needs a bigger wagon-top shay to be as complete as most of us would need. The mining family maybe wants a diesel or an 0-6-0 Baldwin like that on the Ruby Hill Tramroad and the Maine family needs a 2-6-2. No idea what the Central America 30" gauge family needs.

Apart from these 'families' as I've called them, the rest of the locos are a mixed bag. The 2-6-0 doesn't fit well with the 4-6-0 and neither seems 'right' with the toy/tourist train look of the IS frame 4-4-0 with its tiny drivers, and the rail-bus never ran anywhere!

Of course, many modellers are quite happy to buy locos like cupcakes (one of them and two of them and ooh that's nice...) but equally, many buy a loco to do a job, to fit in, because that's the type of loco their railroad would be likely to have.

This may seem a little 'off topic', but since the cars have to look right there needs to be a family relationship between car and loco. Why, in my view, model a D&RGW gondola if none of the locomotives ever ran on the D&RGW?

So whatever Bachmann bring out next. I hope they think about compatability, about family and about having greater coherence within their range.

It'll be an S.P.C reefer, a Uintah flatcar and a WP&Y caboose  :-\

Kevin S.

Just to be contrary, the longer a narrow gauge railroad existed, the more likely its rolling stock fleet would be a mixed bag - due to acquiring cast-off and used equipment from other narrow gauges as they folded or were standard gauged. The exceptions I would think are the Rio Grande and the EBT who developed a fleet appearance for their equipment over the years. The same could be said of the Colorado and Southern and the ET&WNC.

I would guess the same is true of some of the Maine two-footers.

But many narrow gauges became a mixed lot. The NCNG, the White Pass before modernization, most logging railroads, etc.

I for one would like to see a steel box car. It would fit with a slightly more modern era and fits the industrial/extraction industry type of railroad that was the reason for existence for so many narrow gauge railroads.

A steel box car would fit with the export line of locomotives, the industrial line, the common carrier line and perhaps the loggers would want a couple.

I am happy the long awaited Heisler, still waiting for it, will eventually be here.

Skarloey Railway

@Kevin
That's very true and near the end of its life one of my favourites, the Eureka and Palisades had a right collection, including a prairie and two Forneys, according to George Hilton. Many logging roads also had hand-me-down rod locos and the IS frame 4-4-0 and the Porters wouldn't look out of place. But, if say your RR is a run-down common carrier 'like' the E&P or NCNG or the WP&Y I think you would be hard pressed to put together a typical roster from the Bachmann range. You could 'justify' your RR owning a 'modern' 4-6-0 and an antique and under-powered 4-4-0 (what were the management thinking!) and at a pinch the mogul or a forney, but that would still leave big gaps in the roster (albeit fillable with a few BLI c16s, but that's not the point!)

And of course, a roster of pick-and-mix motive power is typical only of a RR near the end of its life. Recalling Hilton's book again, the early rosters for many of the RRs west of the Rockies were Baldwin 4-4-0, 2-6-0s and 2-8-0s, as on the E&P.

ebtnut

I think a four-wheel bobber would be good - maybe something other than the C&S hack that's been done in plastic and brass.  Hence, a plug for the EBT's bobbers that preceded the current eight-wheel jobs.  In the same vein, maybe the Calumet and Hecla hoppers.  They were wood-bodied, and when the EBT acquired them they lined the inside with sheet steel.  And, Bachmann already has the Vulcan trucks.  I like the idea of the Gilpin ore cars, too.  Another item that was found on eastern roads was a "market car".  It was kind of like a mobile general store.  In some cases, folks along the line would place their order with the local agent, and once a week the car would be sent to the "big town" to load up, then deliver the goods along the way back.  I know the LO&S and the N&SV both had such cars.  The N&SV car is actually still preserved in a state park along the old right-of-way. 

Hamish K

I would like to see either of the excursion cars available in HO made in On30. Or preferably, both types.

Hamish

Melinda

The Jackson & Sharp excursion cars would be great! Also a RPO/Express car would be nice.
Some people mentioned wooden hoppers - there are already 2 different wooden hoppers in On30 from different companies; another one would duplicate them needlessly.
More road names for all the existing cars would be good and inexpensive new products; in the 'old days' companies like Athearn would sell cars with all kinds of road names and people could easily populate their layouts with them, even though some weren't exactly correct for the car.
Come to think of it, new road NUMBERS for the existing road names would also be a good idea.

Tomcat

Add something fitting for the Maine folks...?

A RGS Plow Flanger, as Royce said.
Or a Rotary...

Disconnects for the Logging folks...!
A West Side Logging Caboose...?

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Skarloey Railway

Don't Wiseman Model Services make a RGS flanger kit? I'd copy the link but I'm not sure pf Bachmann's policy on links to other company's products. Anyone care to tell me.