Rewire a single motor for slower operation

Started by og3rail, June 13, 2012, 01:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

og3rail

I have a 4-6-4 scale Williams Hudson is there any way to rewire it for slower operation like the dual motor engines?

phillyreading

You will have to use some electronic parts to do that, as you can not put a single motor in series with another motor as your engine only has one motor.
I would look around for a transformer that has a lower starting voltage before I rewire a single motor steam engine.
Also I have seen a post about hooking up what I think was diodes to slow down the motor, I forget where it was at, maybe on CTT or OGR forum.

Lee F.

Read the info in the post "Williams 773" The Diode solution works great! I have done it with my Williams' Steamers with wonderful results. Very simple to make and wire into the motor circuit. The scale Hudson has the motor control board within the tender. You add your diodes there at one of the two wires leaving the board which connect to the motor via the "tether". Look at the Dallee circuit that Joe Satnik has put a link on to his part of the 773 post

Hope this helps...671

og3rail

Thanks for this info. I have ordered the parts from Dallee I will let you know how I make out.

og3rail

OK so i installed the circuit using 4 additional diodes and it significantly reduced the speed Much more realistic! I have another question .......if I install a sound board in the engine will this circuit cause to much current and blow the board?

Thanks for all the info
Bill

Hi og3rail,

671 here, I used the bridge rectifier with two additional diodes, it is working super on all of my WbyB Steamers. Four additional diodes may be too much along with the bridge rectifier.
            I would like to turn your question over to a more educated response. Joe Satnik has responded with some very enlightening responses to very technical questions.
            Myself, I have a broad background in controls for very large buildings. I am very much into the technical aspect of the hobby. It is so enjoyable to have a machine performing at its' design or better.
            I have been an avid reader and contributor to this forum. I believe in " Cross Pollination " it stimulates the mind and creates a underlying zest for satisfaction and perfection.
            I feel good if I can help or stimulate one within this hobby.
            I for one ( at the age of 64 ) revisit my youth everytime I turn that ZW transformer on.  
                  I would like to thank my Dad for the gift that he has given me, and I would like to acknowledge the fine Minds and Souls that take the time to help me and others within this hobby.

I Really Hope This Helps...671

Joe Satnik

Greetings.

Any sound board in good shape and wired properly shouldn't draw enough current to damage itself or any other circuit board that passes through the track power that the sound board needs.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

og3rail

Joe and 671,

I appreciate your help! I have removed the sound board and am having it looked at by the mfg.
I'll let you know how it works out.

Just a note..... I too was introduced into the hobby at a young age ( i am now 52) by my Dad. I also thank him for that.  It is a great hobby and has kept us close for all these years. We still enjoy this great hobby together.

Joe Satnik

og3rail,

I re-read your post from 6-18-2012, and think I now understand your question. 

I'm guessing you meant  "If I use the 'diode bridge plus single diodes' circuit to slow the motor, will the increased track voltage damage my installed sound board?"

You'll be happy to know that the transformers are limited in voltage (~18V ac), and any sound board or reverser board meant for conventional AC control would be designed to work without damage at that voltage, plus a safety margin (meaning perhaps up to 28 V ac or so).   

As a bonus, your sound board should have less distortion and fewer hiccups running at a higher voltage...in other words, it will actually sound and operate better. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.