News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Acela Repair???

Started by ftherrmann, June 15, 2012, 11:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftherrmann

I recently purchased the DCC N scale Acela train set and the engine quit working.  I sent it to Bachmann about 8 weeks ago for warranty repair/replacement.

This morning I got a call from Jenny in service and Jenny told me that Bachmann can't fix the Acela engine and Bachmann doesn't have a replacement engine.  She also told me that she "heard" that Bachmann is getting replacements in but doesn't know when.  I then called Laura Harris and left a message on her phone to please call me back.  I've called Bachmann in the past and left messages but rarely seem to get a call back.

I don't think it's either fair or resonable to leave me hanging given the price of the original Acela set and the short time I've actually had to use it.  Ideally I would like to have the Cafe engine car replaced, but if that's simply not possible it seems like there should be other options available.  Once such option would be to send the powered locomotive (item 81945)  and the un powered Cafe Acela (item 89941) which are both listed in the 2012 Bachmann catalog.

Fred Herrmann

ftherrmann

Wanted to update and correct my previous post.  The part numbers for the engines/coaches I posted are HO and NOT N scale.   I also spoke with Laura Harris.

I appreciate what Laura is trying to do by buying back Acela train sets from retailers and replacing defective parts with the re-purchased sets because the main (China) office has decided to stop making parts with which to honor the Bachmann 1 year warranty.   What ever works for Bachmann works for me, but this doesn't sound like a good way to run a railroad!

Assuming that this plan works out I'll be happy, however if it doesn't work out I don't want to be stuck with a $212 paper weight.

the Bach-man

Dear Fred,
Rest assured you won't have a paperweight. If the item is out of stock, we'll replace it when it comes back in.
From whom did you purchase the set? They should replace it for you if you contact them, and we will replace it for them.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

ftherrmann

Actually I had to select other items that are being sent to me to replace the Acela.  Bachmann will no longer repair or replace the N scale Acela as it has no parts to repair or replace broken Acela N scale locos.  Apparently the main office (China) decided NOT to provide parts for warranty repair or replacement of this particular model. 

A really BAD business decision IMHO!

Bucksco

I believe the problem lies in the fact that the N scale Acela is waiting for its turn on the production line. In other words, we cannot manufacture a product whenever we please. Each item is scheduled for production and has to wait until it is time for the production run of said item (materials need to be ordered, tooling prepared, etc....). Bachmann cannot aquire repair parts until the item undergoes another production run. Bachmann has the best warranty in the model railroading industry. Your item is covered for repair or replacement free for a year and for a nominal service fee it will be repaired or replaced for the life of the product. If we cannot repair or replace the item we will replace it with something of similar value. We would have replaced the Acela unit for you as soon as more were produced if you were willing to wait otherwise we would offer you an item of similar value (which is apparently what you decided to do).
You might have considered contacting the retailer you purchased the item from for a refund if possible. Either way Bachmann does everything possible to make good on our warranty.